I suddenly find myself wanting Rockwheel GT16

Cloud

I've been tempted to get some of that 3M conformal spray to add some extra protection.  I wish these wheels all came 100% waterproofed.   I know some apply waterproofing coatings, but I think they don't protect the connectors.

If I were to ride through rainstorms I might coat all connectors as well:

Ok I’ve found the history.

This is what he said about waterproofing, I struggle to understand this

Waterproof, no problem, the first generation of balanced cars, almost no design waterproofing, no problem, so you don't have to worry.

This is on V3 changes :

The motor power output has been changed, and the suspended rotation is 63. The controller program made a slight adjustment, using more stable capacitance, chip.

this is on the issue of the rubbing on the side of motor when riding on one foot:

when a foot stand on the wheel, friction problem, I know, there are a small number of users encountered when using this kind of situation, only the proportion of the very few, I think, is when the wheels encountered fierce collision, screw loosening, some location to appear this kind of phenomenon.

on the issue of cut outs he said it has been solved

I think they may be referring to the fact that their V1 had no special waterproofing measures, and few reports of issues were reported so there likely isn't going to be an issue except in @LEO_LEO's case.  :whistling:  You might want to be careful if riding in a rainstorm.  Might be best to take a look see at the insides just in case, but I hear it can be a pain to get at the insides.  I wonder if applying a thin bead of silicone sealant to the edges of the motor covers might be a good idea.  You're probably the kind of hardcore rider who doesn't mind riding in the rain and through puddles?

They also have made the motor auto shut off at 63° tilt?  I think the Gotways used to be at 45°, but after EUC Extreme's request of increasing it to over 60° they made that firmware change.  People then complained that their wheels would spin wildly and not turn off soon enough so I think they set it back to 45°.

BTW, did you remember to click through ebates.com for your AliExpress purchase?  You can get some cashback from various online retailers.

22 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think they may be referring to the fact that their V1 had no special waterproofing measures, and few reports of issues were reported so there likely isn't going to be an issue except in @LEO_LEO's case.  :whistling:  You might want to be careful if riding in a rainstorm.  Might be best to take a look see at the insides just in case, but I hear it can be a pain to get at the insides.  I wonder if applying a thin bead of silicone sealant to the edges of the motor covers might be a good idea.  You're probably the kind of hardcore rider who doesn't mind riding in the rain and through puddles?

They also have made the motor auto shut off at 63° tilt?  I think the Gotways used to be at 45°, but after EUC Extreme's request of increasing it to over 60° they made that firmware change.  People then complained that their wheels would spin wildly and not turn off soon enough so I think they set it back to 45°.

BTW, did you remember to click through ebates.com for your AliExpress purchase?  You can get some cashback from various online retailers.

I try not to ride in the rain to avoid water ingress. Accasionally when I had no choice I would put a plastic bag over the wheel. Yes I will consider coating the electronics 

im not sure what he meant about the rotation.  I didn’t think it was the shut off angle.  Yes I am one of those people who wasn’t happy with gotways shut off at an angle close to horizon.

I didn’t know about ebates.. I will look

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

Sure will do. The improvements weren’t that numerous as far as I remember. There was something with rotation improved and another one that seemed not so significant but I relied on the chat history which said it retains for 7 days but now cannot find a way to bring it up . The response to my question about waterproofing was the funniest ever. The way I understood it basically waterproofing doesn’t exist but I shouldn’t be worried about it) I need to find that history

i am excited.   Hoping this will be a great experience 

@Yi Chen is a wonderful seller.

56 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Rule number one of shopping online - check for cashback rebates if any!  I think I got like $79 back for my AliExpress purchase.  Just sign up for an Ebates account, and before you buy, go to Ebates, find the seller link, click it to activate your rebate, and then purchase it.  I think it works with the phone App too.  Just go through Safari or whatever browser to click through, and then buy it through the app.  It really adds up over the years if you buy stuff online.  Amazon and eBay works as well.  Every bit counts!

58 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I try not to ride in the rain to avoid water ingress. Accasionally when I had no choice I would put a plastic bag over the wheel. Yes I will consider coating the electronics 

im not sure what he meant about the rotation.  I didn’t think it was the shut off angle.  Yes I am one of those people who wasn’t happy with gotways shut off at an angle close to horizon.

I have coated the electronics, use silicone self sealing tape on the connectors, and have put a tiny film of liquid silicone between the controller cap and heat sink.

I’ve ridden through heavy rain without worrying about it. There is exactly five points where water may get in too easily (as long as the integrity of the shell is OK): where the wires go through to the lights and charging ports, the small air vent in front and back that leads into the controller compartment, and underneath the power button. The last was much better in V2. The wires are usually sealed with silicone, just check that they’re not loose. Some frenchman plugged the holes, I’m not sure what consequences that would have for heat, but it’s probably OK.

All in all I’ve never noted moisture inside, and the only real risk would be splashes from cars and such that come from below.

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

I was reading this as 63kph/mph max spin speed when lifted (suspended).

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I was reading this as 63kph/mph max spin speed when lifted (suspended).

Yes you are right, now I read it the same way. I guess thats an increase from the previous version?

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:yawn:  It's Friday.  I'm sleepy.  How did I miss that?  :sleep1:

So @Cloud - what made you decide to pull the trigger on the GT16?  Was it the mix of performance and the wicked looking racing bike like shell design?  Why not the ACM2 or the Msuper X?

I don’t know why I didn’t get it right myself. I must have been stressed at work with the clients standing over my shoulder.

a few days ago I would never think I’d buy this. I don’t quite know how to explain why. I guess I got tired of thinking of getting a new wheel and not finding a perfect one for the longest time ( not that this one is perfect ) and also I’ve always wanted an agile fast and light wheel with a decent battery and good motor power . My ks14c was great in many ways but lacking speed and power. This one seems to have both and with the fat on the sides design I’m thinking it should be fun to control ( more leverage) . So I guess I liked the looks of it too and was kinda looking for a KS14C experience but with stronger motor and faster. The original ks14c 800w motors were very strong . Then kingsong changed the motor factory and started installing much weaker ones and I couldn’t do on it what I had used to. Let’s see if I can get those good old times back. I can see I’m rambling.  I didn’t sleep much last night and driving upstate right now  so I better stop before I get pulled over 

Be sure to give us a report on how the wheel turns out for you.  I'm always curious to see how these wheels evolve and like checking out all the nitty gritty components in them along with following the politics and economics behind them all.  It's interesting to be able to interact with some of the people behind the companies.  Too bad more of them aren't active on the forums, but I'm sure they are busy with their business activities or just want to listen in to grab the odd idea :ph34r:.  Others probably got tired of the complaints (like Gotway) and drifted into lurker mode.

The GT16 is sure a cool looking wheel.  When the first concept images came out I was like :wub:, but stories of the tricky to access components,  reliability concerns, and failures made me look elsewhere.  It does sound like the newer versions should be solid hopefully.  Even the Tesla had that scary faceplant video a while back... :blink:  I don't think there exists that "perfect" wheel yet, but it's nice to see that they are making good progress!

41 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Be sure to give us a report on how the wheel turns out for you.  I'm always curious to see how these wheels evolve and like checking out all the nitty gritty components in them along with following the politics and economics behind them all.  It's interesting to be able to interact with some of the people behind the companies.  Too bad more of them aren't active on the forums, but I'm sure they are busy with their business activities or just want to listen in to grab the odd idea :ph34r:.  Others probably got tired of the complaints (like Gotway) and drifted into lurker mode.

The GT16 is sure a cool looking wheel.  When the first concept images came out I was like :wub:, but stories of the tricky to access components,  reliability concerns, and failures made me look elsewhere.  It does sound like the newer versions should be solid hopefully.  Even the Tesla had that scary faceplant video a while back... :blink:  I don't think there exists that "perfect" wheel yet, but it's nice to see that they are making good progress!

Weeeeell, there are some tricky parts about the servicing of this wheel. Mostly it's experience though. Apart from the "magnificent" idea to put the wires in the cooling compartment behind a brittle piece of glued plexi, none of the idiosyncrasies are that bad. Nowadays I've replaced the plexi with plastic held in place with a piece of black duct tape, works wonderfully.

I clocked changing from winter to summer tires. It took an hour, and half that time was spent on wringing the old tire off and the new on without hurting the tube and without the right tools...

The steps were:

• Unscrew the sides, and disconnect the LED-wire before taking them off.
  • Cutting the self sealing silicone, disconnecting the battery packs and taping the connectors.
  • Discharging the capacitors (power on without batteries).
  • Taking off the cap of the motor-wire side wire compartment, cutting more silicone and unplugging the motor cables.
  • Unscrewing the last screws to the pedal arms.
  • Pushing the wheel out of the shell (using the pedals that stayed on the whole time)
  • Deflating and wringing off the old tire.
  • Wringing on and inflating the new tire.
  • Pushing the wheel back into the shell. Which is one of the hardest operations, as you need to get the cables exactly right before the push.
  • Screwing the pedal arms to the shell.
  • Connecting the motor cables and sealing them again.
  • Closing the wire compartment.
  • Connecting the batteries, carefully but decisively to avoid sparks.
  • Sealing all the remaining connectors.
  • Putting back the sides and connecting the LEDs again.
  • Checking that the pad-glue still sticks to the pads and shell, and re-glue if it doesn't

After doing the drill a few times, you can do it in your sleep. Oh BTW, it really helps if the batteries are 100% and balanced before you begin, MUCH less risk of sparks.

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

I didn’t sleep much last night and driving upstate right now  so I better stop before I get pulled over 

In fact I actually just got pulled over and given a ticket. Super upset , but I gotta say, I have a scary power of prediction...

On 4/21/2018 at 1:51 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Aw man and I stopped replying to you right away too!  :o  I was worried you would get into trouble.  No texting er forum reading and driving!!

Surprisingly, the ticket was for not moving to the left lane when the cop car was standing on the side of the road.  I didn’t even know I was supposed to do that.  That’s what I call police brutality right there...3 freaking points on my license and a fine

• 6 months later...

Archived