I suddenly find myself wanting Rockwheel GT16

Cloud

I hope it’s just a phase. But I was always impartial to the design for a smaller lighter wheel where the beefy battery packs go on sides and the CB is horizontal on top. This usually makes for a more controllable, agile wheel and with that light weight it has to be that. Reviews seem to confirm that. 

I never knew much about It rockwheel though and some things I read about it are quite disconcerting so maybe someone can shed more light:

1. Are the pedals really so small/ uncomfortable ? And is there a different set of pedals available that fits?

2. How does the wheel handle riders at around 85-90kg especially during accelerations and at higher speed?

3. What speed warnings/ tiltback settings are in place and how customizable are they?

4 do you know any US based sellers who have the wheel?

5 does anyone know when version 3 is coming out?

6 if anyone in NYC is willing to let me try his Rockwheel that would be super fantastic

Thanks!

I have the rockwheel gt16 v3 1036wh and the acm 1300wh. Aesthetically the rockwheel is very superior, but for long trips the ACM much more comfortable. For me they are complementary wheels since they are totally opposite within the 16 "range. The lightest and smallest and the biggest and heaviest. If I could only have one, I would keep the acm, for being more versatile, but I would miss the great agility, acceleration and brute force of my rockwheel. Regarding the pedals, if they are very small. In the acceleration, it's brutal, for me it's the fastest wheel accelerating that I've tried ... Well, you better try it. Mine is not ... Since I'm from Barcelona. Maybe a vacation.

IMG_20180406_211313.jpg

5 minutes ago, Delgado said:

I have the rockwheel gt16 v3 1036wh and the acm 1300wh

Awesome, you have both wheels that I crave! And it’s great to know you still enjoy the gt16 even though you have access to a more versatile ACM. Now I want to try it even more.  Actually never tried ACM either so I’m dying to try both. It’s a shame the pedals are so small on the gt 

8 hours ago, Cloud said:

1. Are the pedals really so small/ uncomfortable ? And is there a different set of pedals available that fits?

They are actually reasonably long, just oddly shaped. I found them surprisingly ok, but wasn't expecting muhc

8 hours ago, Cloud said:

2. How does the wheel handle riders at around 85-90kg especially during accelerations and at higher speed?

Perfect, I'm 92kg

8 hours ago, Cloud said:

3. What speed warnings/ tiltback settings are in place and how customizable are they?

(relatively silent) beeps, and gentle (IMO) tiltback, all customizable. feels like the settings are battery level dependent, ie the lower the battery the sooner they come.

All in all, I really enjoy this wheel. It super agile, compact, relatively light, relatively cheap and looks really well. Also (relatively) awesome support from the Rockwheel store if you order from Aliexpress. The trade-offs? poor quality and detailing, non-refined design, no waterproofing, shell rubbing against the motor on turns and high-pitch sound of the motor. I also just don't feel like I can really fully trust this wheel, even though so far, after half a year of daily riding it's not failed me once. So it's a love-hate relationship....

I feel tempted to pull the trigger on Ali express but a little worried because I have never tried the wheel. Also $1,329 is not that cheap. I might just act on an impulse and get it anyway. 

55 minutes ago, Tomek said:

They are actually reasonably long, just oddly shaped. I found them surprisingly ok, but wasn't expecting muhc

If I may ask you a personal question. What’s your foot size?

I do not recommend it as a powerful single wheel. I really bought it for my wife because it is an ideal wheel for its size. Only that I use it daily for my transport given its weight lighter than the acm and smaller size. But for the same price you have an acm2 1300wh that for me is long. If only I could have a powerful wheel, that would undoubtedly be the acm. It is very fun to drive, stable and robust. If you can aspire to more wheels, the gt16 is a perfect complementary wheel to the acm, but for me it does not exceed it. But I love my two wheels and it depends the moment I go with one or the other.

Paging @Scatcat!  I've always liked the minimalistic yet sporty look of the GT16, but with the problems others have encountered with the V1 version I drifted towards Gotway instead.  I sorely wish Rockwheel would have had a reliable winner on their hands, and maybe with the new versions they are better yet I feel they aren't quite 100% there yet.  I think they could take their shell design a few steps further and bring the front cowl forwards making it more like a sportsbike while creating an integrated rear fender into the shell rather than a dinky pull out one.

The shell design is beautiful, but I hear it's not that practically made as access to components and wiring is eccentric.  Add to that lack of waterproofing and thin wiring, I'd say I would have to wait until they release a new version before I would consider them.  Even @houseofjob ended up parting with his if I read his signature correctly.  Maybe he can give you some NYC insight into the wheel.  I believe @smallexis might be riding one too?

43 minutes ago, Delgado said:

I do not recommend it as a powerful single wheel. I really bought it for my wife because it is an ideal wheel for its size. Only that I use it daily for my transport given its weight lighter than the acm and smaller size. But for the same price you have an acm2 1300wh that for me is long. If only I could have a powerful wheel, that would undoubtedly be the acm. It is very fun to drive, stable and robust. If you can aspire to more wheels, the gt16 is a perfect complementary wheel to the acm, but for me it does not exceed it. But I love my two wheels and it depends the moment I go with one or the other.

Thank you. Yes I do realize this wheel alone won’t serve all purposes and must be complimented by another . I will definitrly have another larger, heavier wheel too but I always wanted something small and powerful and agile

28 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Even @houseofjob ended up parting with his if I read his signature correctly.  Maybe he can give you some NYC insight into the wheel. 

Yes I’ve already interrogated him)

28 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The shell design is beautiful, but I hear it's not that practically made as access to components and wiring is eccentric.  Add to that lack of waterproofing and thin wiring, I'd say I would have to wait until they release a new version before I would consider them.

I know you are right but my inner child is acting up, don’t know what to do

71YNqUyD4aL._SL1500_.jpg

Maybe read a bit of the Rockwheel postings from Scatcat and the rest, and then decide if it's the wheel for you.  Have you tried an ACM or Tesla?  Maybe the MSuper X is calling?  I do have to admit - the GT16 is what I would imagine RoboCop would ride.  :whistling:

If they would have angled out the front and the back of the shell so the "intakes" face downwards slightly, that would have given more wheel coverage for water splashing while providing a little more room inside for wiring and maybe a lengthwise battery pack.  I guess they wanted as much wheel exposure as possible.  It's a sick look to be sure, but just a little more tweaking would have opened up a few more possibilities.

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe read a bit of the Rockwheel postings from Scatcat and the rest, and then decide if it's the wheel for you.  Have you tried an ACM or Tesla?  Maybe the MSuper X is calling?  I do have to admit - the GT16 is what I would imagine RoboCop would ride.  :whistling:

Yes I read some, not very confidence inspiring...I haven’t tried ACM but I want to very much.   This is another possibility on my list. I’ve tried Tesla which was ok but didn’t wow me. The X is definitely calling but not really available yet until maybe late May or June or who knows.  And I still want an agile strong medium-long ranger)

Aren't you a King Song guy?  Have you considered the 18L?  I remember the mods you did with your KS14 way back with cutting vents up top for air access.  I think we looked at Peltier cooling options and heat pipes.   I'm getting used to my Telsa.  The egg shape kind of grows on you, but it's got a bell bottom sort of profile.  After getting back onto my Ninebot, it feels so anorexic and floppy which was hard to get used to again.  I almost wiped out getting on!

This thread look familiar?

Just now, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Aren't you a King Song guy?  Have you considered the 18L?  I remember the mods you did with your KS14 way back with cutting vents up top for air access.  I think we looked at Peltier cooling options and heat pipes.   I'm getting used to my Telsa.  The egg shape kind of grows on you, but it's got a bell bottom sort of profile.  After getting back onto my Ninebot, it feels so anorexic and floppy which was hard to get used to again.  I almost wiped out getting on!

Lol yes I used to be the kingsong guy I guess.   It was a strenuous love/hate relationship , and the sparks were flying both literally and metaphorically . I am flattered you remember the overheating mods, but then again, you have those files on everyone here...yes I actually like the look of 18l , the height/ width ratio is the “Golden mean” in my opinion.  But it’s not readily available and I’m a bit reluctant because of the smaller battery and then again, I will still be needing a small agile mid - long ranger) 

yes bo doubt Tesla is one of the superior wheels.  Can’t conpare with ninebots performance.  But it’s just neither light nor heavy . To me ACM makes a stronger statement than Tesla.  I’m not sure man.  Everything is up in the air right now 

Here in Barcelona, there are many gt16 circulating since it is a wheel that sells a lot. From what I could see of the group of people of the gt16 of the city, only v1 gave problems. Everyone else happily follows the gt16 using it daily without problems. Regarding alarms and tilt back are programmable from the mobile application. Of course, the alarms of speed and effort are changing with respect to the battery level. If you have 6 battery stripes left at 40km / h. If you have more pitara battery around 50km / h. The maximum speed that I have set it is at 48km / h and it already feels unstable, but it is given how close it is between the legs. I can say that the acceleration from 0 to 40km / h is brutal. In less than 5 seconds you are rolling at 40km / h and the perfect cruising speed is 36km / h. I'm telling you, if you can afford it, the ideal pair in 16 '' is acm 1300 & gt16. Opposite wheels in every way ...

18 hours ago, Cloud said:

I hope it’s just a phase. But I was always impartial to the design for a smaller lighter wheel where the beefy battery packs go on sides and the CB is horizontal on top. This usually makes for a more controllable, agile wheel and with that light weight it has to be that. Reviews seem to confirm that. 

I never knew much about It rockwheel though and some things I read about it are quite disconcerting so maybe someone can shed more light:

4 do you know any US based sellers who have the wheel?

5 does anyone know when version 3 is coming out?

6 if anyone in NYC is willing to let me try his Rockwheel that would be super fantastic

Thanks!

1. Nope, they're not as big as I want them to be, but neither are they really small. I'm a size 43EU. I'd wish the pedals were an inch longer and maybe half an inch wider, the length mostly to give extra stability if a jump or curb moves your feet forward a bit... and some extra leverage when accelerating or braking. No biggie though.
  2. I weigh 88kg and commute everyday with full gear and a backpack with a laptop, chargers for God knows what, and so on. Not seldom another 5-8kg. No problems.
  3. You have three customisable alarms, and one customisable tilt-back. You have overcharge alarm and 80% alarm and tilt-back that is not customisable.
  4. No idea about US-sellers.
  5. No idea, I'm afraid.
  6. If you come to Gothenburg, Sweden you can try mine ;) 

The V1 did have a lot of idiotic problems, mostly stupid bugs or oversights. The BMS (which I still have) could get problems when overcharging, the firmware had too few safety features, there were instances of current spikes that fried a few early boards. The V2 is a subtle but important upgrade, where the electronics is more dependable.

Ok. Despite all warnings from the fellow forumers and shunning my own voice of reason, I just pulled the trigger on a 1036wh gt16 from Ali lexpress Rockwheel store.

i was told by the rep that I’m getting version 3 which has some improvements 

anyway I’ve paid, it’s done . The inner child has been given his candy. 

51 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The only real choice! In doubt: just get it. :thumbup:

Tell us your experiences once you tried it, and it would be nice to know what the V3 improvements are if they are visible (or maybe you can ask the seller?).

He told me in the chat but I’m not sure how to bring up the chat history.  

4 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

What color and battery size? Sorry, I'm excited for you :D

1036wh.  Blue :) the best color :)

Just now, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sweet choice!  I hope hope hope the V3 is bulletproof and has all the improvements we've been hoping for.  Post up some photos/videos once you get it!!!  :w00t2:  :popcorn:

Sure will do. The improvements weren’t that numerous as far as I remember. There was something with rotation improved and another one that seemed not so significant but I relied on the chat history which said it retains for 7 days but now cannot find a way to bring it up . The response to my question about waterproofing was the funniest ever. The way I understood it basically waterproofing doesn’t exist but I shouldn’t be worried about it) I need to find that history

i am excited.   Hoping this will be a great experience 

Archived