For information I have so far ride about:
- 800km with firmware 1.0.0
- 1300km with modified firmware 1.0.0 by @MRN76
- 100km with modified by @MRN76 and unmodified firmware 1.0.5 included
The advantages of version 1.0.5 compared to 1.0.0:
- Improved wheel agility, its driving requires a little less effort
- Improved acceleration, it is no longer necessary to force so much forward to accelerate
- Improved wheel maneuverability above 25km/h, which is much less likely to fight to stay perpendicular
The negatives of version 1.0.5 compared to 1.0.0 :
- Loss of the wheel's feeling of ultra-stability above 25km/h
- Hard Brakes, by tilting your body completely backwards in an almost seated position is no longer possible, the wheel no longer holds you back and starts jerking if you force too hard (this has earned me every time I try to jump off the wheel to avoid falling)
- The near impossibility of falling in corners has disappeared, the wheel now tilting more, so you have to be careful not to let yourself be surprised by moving your body completely to one side thinking that the wheel will want to get back perpendicular to the road
- Below 50% range, the wheel tends to zigzag slightly when approaching or exceeding 40km/h
Here are my conclusion :
There are no doubts that Ninebot's goal is to make the Z10's handling faster than it was at the beginning. We can feel the subtle attempt to change the behaviour of Z10 to bring it closer to that of the other wheels on the market. The problem from my point of view is that this is done at the expense of safety.
The Z10 in firmware 1.0.0 is for me a real rock, a train that nothing can derail, the handling is certainly difficult and can be discouraged, but we feel 1000% safe.
In firmware 1.0.5 I felt that the train could derail at the slightest mistake on my part and even if the wheel is still pleasant to drive, it is for me less safe than in 1.0.0.
If you received your Z10 in 1.0.5 and are therefore not used to Hard Brakes, you will not miss what you never had..., but if you are in 1.0.0 with more than 500km to your credit, then it is likely that you will not really appreciate this change in your habits.
Make your choice guys !