V8 Tilting back at high battery level.

ramma

Hi everyone, I've been having this issue for quite a while now and have really just been avoiding riding the wheel for any significant distance. With the Discord chat slowing down lately, I figured I'd post here to maybe get some ideas.

Basically the V8 is sounding the "Be prepared" warning, flashing red, and doing the forced tilt back till stopped at really high charge. Looking at the official app it will read 85-90% charge some of the time.

Watching the temperatures in the official app or in Wheellog don't seem to show anything out of the ordinary. It's been cold enough where I am too so it's unlikely to be a temp issue.

Often the wheel will start up again, sometimes needing two or three tries. If the charge was high enough it will run for another 1/4-1 mile and do the same thing. Once it's down to about 80% charge the only way to ride is to go as slow as possible, but even then it will trigger the tilt back. Eventually it completely refuses to turn on despite having over a 70-75% charge.

I've only had the wheel a bit over a year, and I think it has around 150-200 miles on it. The issue has been happening for basically the whole time I've had it, bar for the first month or two. I'd have swapped out the battery by now, or sold and replaced the wheel to someone better equipped to fix it, but I had to save for a really long time just to get this wheel in the first place, so any budget friendly ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, ramma said:

Sounds like a warranty issue, but seems you missed to get the wheel/mainboard/battery replaced... :(

2 hours ago, ramma said:

I've only had the wheel a bit over a year, and I think it has around 150-200 miles on it. The issue has been happening for basically the whole time I've had it, bar for the first month or two. 

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Sounds like a warranty issue, but seems you missed to get the wheel/mainboard/battery replaced... :(

I ordered from AliExpress too, so I tried communicating what the issue was but the seller either didn't understand or feigned ignorance. Learned not to do that again, even for the crazy discount.

I trust given the duration of the problem that you have ridden the wheel in temperatures other than cold and the issue remains?

When you charge the wheel does it charge to 100% ok? 

Have you run the diagnostics in the app? 

Where are you located? Your profile doesn't say anywhere real. If in the US I would contact @Bobwheelfor help from Inmotion US. He may be able to help facilitate a repair for you. @Jeffrey Scott Willalso. 

9 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I trust given the duration of the problem that you have ridden the wheel in temperatures other than cold and the issue remains?

Where are you located? Your profile doesn't say anywhere real. If in the US I would contact @Bobwheelfor help from Inmotion US. He may be able to help facilitate a repair for you. @Jeffrey Scott Willalso. 

It charged fine till very recently. The last few times it just sits with the final bar blinking on the display forever, though it reads 100% in the app. I've run diagnostics a few times but not in a few months, so I'll do that again.

I'm in the Pacific NW. Not horribly cold but haven't had much over 10-15 C lately. The lowest I got the battery since the issue started was last summer when it was high 20's. Still had basically the same behavior, I was just really persistent with trying to turn it back on again because I wasn't walking the few miles home in that heat!

2 hours ago, ramma said:

It charged fine till very recently. The last few times it just sits with the final bar blinking on the display forever, though it reads 100% in the app. I've run diagnostics a few times but not in a few months, so I'll do that again.

I'm in the Pacific NW. Not horribly cold but haven't had much over 10-15 C lately. The lowest I got the battery since the issue started was last summer when it was high 20's. Still had basically the same behavior, I was just really persistent with trying to turn it back on again because I wasn't walking the few miles home in that heat!

You say you use wheellog. Do you have a log file that has recorded the wheel metrics during a failure. See what you can see in there to provide a clue or if not sure what you are looking at post it here for us to look over (you may wish to remove the location columns first). If you don’t have a log file.... Go make one! 

Ambient temperature is high enough to not be an issue for a good battery. 

The wheel will show 100% prematurely in the charging cycle (about 1.5v early). What is the wheellog voltage showing after the charger has been green for an hour or so? 

9 hours ago, ramma said:

Hi everyone, I've been having this issue for quite a while now and have really just been avoiding riding the wheel for any significant distance. With the Discord chat slowing down lately, I figured I'd post here to maybe get some ideas.

Basically the V8 is sounding the "Be prepared" warning, flashing red, and doing the forced tilt back till stopped at really high charge. Looking at the official app it will read 85-90% charge some of the time.

Watching the temperatures in the official app or in Wheellog don't seem to show anything out of the ordinary. It's been cold enough where I am too so it's unlikely to be a temp issue.

Often the wheel will start up again, sometimes needing two or three tries. If the charge was high enough it will run for another 1/4-1 mile and do the same thing. Once it's down to about 80% charge the only way to ride is to go as slow as possible, but even then it will trigger the tilt back. Eventually it completely refuses to turn on despite having over a 70-75% charge.

I've only had the wheel a bit over a year, and I think it has around 150-200 miles on it. The issue has been happening for basically the whole time I've had it, bar for the first month or two. I'd have swapped out the battery by now, or sold and replaced the wheel to someone better equipped to fix it, but I had to save for a really long time just to get this wheel in the first place, so any budget friendly ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmh, 

To make it short: It is probably a board defect, perhaps on the voltage measuring chipset...

I would go for a board swap, when you can get that over your seller!! Even if you have to pay for the board, its not that expensive!

Dont wait for a “magical self repair”, this just doesn’t happen.

Safety and reliability are one of the most important things on an EUC, so i would recommend to not drive anymore, as who knows what fails as next....

On 3/30/2018 at 7:44 PM, WARPed1701D said:

@ramma  We can help to repair the wheel if you'd like to send to our San Diego office, and you can also use it for our trade-in program, which means you'll get about $400 off to get a new Glide 3. 

I finally had some time to replicate the issue, but because WheelLog crashes when I try to start logging the best I could do was use a screen recorder to capture what WheelLog shows when it happens. In the video I think it happens at about the 1 min 35 second ride time mark, or about about 1 min 5 sec video time. 

As for what happens after a while on the charger past when it reads as full, here's what wheel log looks like after at least an hour on the charger past full, probably closer to 2.

5ac6021c172de_Screenshot_20180330-120320(1).thumb.png.30db887f429b0e5ab339bf0fc7a02d24.png

So are you going downhill a lot in this video? If so you probably are overcharging the battery, or at least it thinks that you are because of the voltage it is measuring. That would indicate the problem that @US69 mentioned. The KS14C had something similar with some of its control boards. If that is the case, one possible workaround is to not charge the battery fully. 

5 hours ago, dmethvin said:

So are you going downhill a lot in this video? If so you probably are overcharging the battery, or at least it thinks that you are because of the voltage it is measuring. That would indicate the problem that @US69 mentioned. The KS14C had something similar with some of its control boards. If that is the case, one possible workaround is to not charge the battery fully. 

It was pretty much all flat riding, especially for the first say 5% after full charge (though looking at the video the charge% jumps around like crazy). After it throws the "Be prepared" warning and does the tilt back I kept pushing it for a bit in case it could reveal anything more about the issue, so maybe that's what you're seeing? The issue happened a little after 1:05 in the video, so any regen and backwards tilt after is the forced tiltback and me pushing.

It certainly is an odd issue. It's hard to keep track of all the changing metrics on the video but at no point do I see any voltage drop to 72v which is where it would normally tilt back like that through low battery (it would also say "low battery" from the speaker which you don't hear). Voltage remains fairly stable through your first minute of actual riding so I'm not inclined to say that one of the parallel packs has failed however there is a lot of communication between the battery and mainboard on the V8 so maybe something is being reported from the battery that we can't see in the video that could be causing the wheel to force you to get off for safety reasons. 

The data log provides text details of regularly sounded alerts (low battery, overpower at speed etc) so could include a text description of the trigger in this instance. It may hold the answer if you can get it to work. I know there was an issue with logging causing a crash if location logging was not ticked and use GPS was not ticked in the wheellog logging settings (bottom two options). Check they are on and try again if possible. 

I would say you have a serious battery or board problems!

(would not be the first i had about on a V8!)

so i would check the cells and parallel systems and i personally would NOT ride anymore until this is checked!

If the batterys are Ok...its obviousl the board, as said before....It all does not help, contact someone who can repair it or find out more!

Oh whoa, I didn't even realize there was a settings area in the WheelLog app. Changing those settings fixed the crash!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17_04bOmLfq5_k49I2vAuGKOV_jfLeC4JkfUbikiMbFk/edit?usp=sharing

I did message Bobwheel after he replied above and the board is slightly cheaper from them, so that's seeming like the affordable option if chances are high it's the cause.

12 minutes ago, ramma said:

Oh whoa, I didn't even realize there was a settings area in the WheelLog app. Changing those settings fixed the crash!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17_04bOmLfq5_k49I2vAuGKOV_jfLeC4JkfUbikiMbFk/edit?usp=sharing

I did message Bobwheel after he replied above and the board is slightly cheaper from them, so that's seeming like the affordable option if chances are high it's the cause.

Yeah. Those settings are not intuative to find. Took me ages when I first started using it to find them again. Well done for getting the logs. It does show 2 alerts. The first is just what you get when you release the kill switch and the wheel self balances, but the second...well neither wheellog or I know the meaning of it. Alert 23:00 7409.00 hex. I would message @Bobwheel again with this code to see if he can tell you what it originated from to help narrow down the cause of the fault.

Certainly nothing in the metrics immediatley preceeding the even suggest a bad or abnormal sensor input, battery issue, or environmental condition.

Archived