Gotway Tesla shot forward then cut out (Gyro

I’ve been practicing riding my Tesla in the house and the backyard but today something weird happened. I got on my Tesla rode about 10 feet then it shot forward and cut off, now when I turn it on it just blinks red lights. I’ve been letting it sit up the past few days while I wait for my V8 protective cover to prevent scratches on it, but said what the heck I should at least practice some today cause I’m tired of waiting (AliExpress). 

This is really has me worried, I went 10 feet (furthered than I’ve ever gone so far so kind of excited) and it just shot forward like the gyroscope went out and then shut down. Has this happened to anyone else? 

I’m more afraid of riding it now. I road mid way from my living room to the kitchen when it cut out and all the lights start flashing red. I’m bummed cause now it doesn’t allow me to ride it... just beeps and flashes red lights constantly. Ugh.... waiting to hear back from @Jason McNeil but he’s away until the 25th. 

My Evolve GTX with gold motors arrives tomorrow and I can ride my Segway minipro in the mean time but I’m so tired of it constantly beeping and telting back, guess I’ve out grown the 10.9mph. 

16 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

Lightly peel back the padding at the edges, pop the black strips off between the carbon fiber textured bits and undo the screws, to take the side panels off. That might give you a read of anything that doesn’t look right.

Ugh! Im hoping I don’t have to work on my new Tesla (week 1/2 since I got it). Something definitely not right cause all it does now is beep and flash red lights. Don’t want to void my warranty.

4 minutes ago, Wldcohso said:

Ugh! Im hoping I don’t have to work on my new Tesla (week 1/2 since I got it). Something definitely not right cause all it does now is beep and flash red lights. Don’t want to void my warranty.

Yes.  Leave it alone and wait for Jason.  It's new, you don't have to do your own diagnosis and risk the warranty. You can't ride it, so just be resigned to the fact that your EUC training is on hold for a week.

8 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Yes.  Leave it alone and wait for Jason.  It's new, you don't have to do your own diagnosis and risk the warranty. You can't ride it, so just be resigned to the fact that your EUC training is on hold for a week.

As suggested, sitting up waiting for Jason. Thank you @Smoother 

6466563E-74FE-4F52-83DA-14E8000BCAE2.jpeg

3 hours ago, Wldcohso said:

I’ve been practicing riding my Tesla in the house and the backyard but today something weird happened. I got on my Tesla rode about 10 feet then it shot forward and cut off, now when I turn it on it just blinks red lights. I’ve been letting it sit up the past few days while I wait for my V8 protective cover to prevent scratches on it, but said what the heck I should at least practice some today cause I’m tired of waiting (AliExpress). 

This is really has me worried, I went 10 feet (furthered than I’ve ever gone so far so kind of excited) and it just shot forward like the gyroscope went out and then shut down. Has this happened to anyone else? 

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Your symptoms are rarely if ever seen on the Tesla. Tell me, when turn it on, does it beep in any kind of sequence? Or do you just here the single beep? Is the wheel still self-balancing?

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Your symptoms are rarely if ever seen on the Tesla. Tell me, when turn it on, does it beep in any kind of sequence? Or do you just here the single beep? Is the wheel still self-balancing?

This is what it does..

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqMMuB5zOktW61u47uA1rVQ0b0V6

4 hours ago, Wldcohso said:

Wow, how far do you travel, do you wear full protective gear fullhf face helmet, ankle protection, knees pads, elbow pads, wrist guards? 

6 miles each way... I’ve got an open face Bern helmet, some big knee/shin guards and motorcycle gloves, would really like gloves with wrist protection built in as my strategy for hitting the deck if I can’t run it out is to slide on my hands and knees until I stop. I’m usually wearing vans sk8 hi leather, or like today, some solid north face boots that protect my ankles too.

Thunking about getting a full face helmet, but worry about what that will do for my visibility and aural alertness.

So far my Tesla has been solid. Have hit some nasty bumps at speed and pushed it with a mix of slow and fast climbs over Manhattan Bridge and usually with myself (6’1, ~180lb) my laptop, a 1ltr thermos and a 9lb dog in my backpack. Safety with this thing is a constant worry though, I think about it if I’m in front of traffic, or hitting some unavoidable bumps. I hope your issue gets sorted soon and then no more!

35 minutes ago, Wldcohso said:

The beeps I get when I turn it on.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqMMuB5zOktW63Hp7W5m1Wwn283C

That's the diagnostic beep sequence. Two possible causes:

1. Extremely low voltage
  2. The wheel has fallen over

Based on the LED status in your video, I'm going to guess that the power is good so the problem is not #1. When you connect with the Gotway app, what voltage does it show?

Therefore the problem is #2, which means that the wheel thinks it has fallen over. Since the wheel is obviously not fallen over, looks like a control board hardware failure.

For kicks I would see if it's possible to calibrate the wheel, and if so, does that correct the problem. Probably won't, but why not give it a try? Anticipate having to install a new board :(

How do I calibrate my Tesla? I’ve never worked on these before. I get a cringe feeling just thinking about splitting my Tesla open and working on it.

Maybe this really isn’t for me lol... after confirming, tomorrow makes it a full week I’ve had it and I’m afraid if this happened so early on do I have a lemon. It’ll always be in the back of my mind this thing can go out at anytime. 

CBD19470-C599-4BD6-B8E2-ACA0314734C2.png

24 minutes ago, Wldcohso said:

How do I calibrate my Tesla? I’ve never worked on these before. I get a cringe feeling just thinking about splitting my Tesla open and working on it.

Maybe this really isn’t for me lol... after confirming, tomorrow makes it a full week I’ve had it and I’m afraid if this happened so early on do I have a lemon. It’ll always be in the back of my mind this thing can go out at anytime. 

CBD19470-C599-4BD6-B8E2-ACA0314734C2.png

I can't answer "whether this is for you", but in general, owning an EUC is like owning a car in 1910 - you were expected to get your hands dirty to maintain this new fangled technology.

I'm not sure "lemon" can be applied to an EUC since they are so much more simpler than a car. It's a battery, motor, and control board. Looks like you control board is probably bad. If you bought it from EWheels hopefully you are getting some assistance.

Here's a short video that may help regards the calibration. All of the modern Gotway wheels calibrate the same way.

Sounds very much like a bad board (defective gyro?). The blinking red lights pretty confirm it. Is the tire locked (= hard to turn)?

There were some instances of Tesla boards frying right at the start, and this seems to be one of them. Bad luck:efeeab781c:

Don't ride it again, and I don't think a recalibration will help, as this is a hardware error. I wouldn't ride it even if a recalibration does somethink, too risky to have a possibly crazy board. You need a new board.

4 hours ago, Wldcohso said:

Awesome service from @Jason McNeil, wheel shipped back to be looked at. I nearly gave up on this, I’ll be back practicing in no time. 

If you could let us know what was wrong with the wheel, that would be very useful to the community (I would like to know anyway). Thanks!

Ask @Jason McNeil if he doesn't volunteer the information.

Archived