King Song new app calibration problem

Smoother

Just a heads up in case someone else runs across this problem.

My horizontal (?) calibration has drifted over time and I measured it at 1 deg. backwards.  It doesn't sound like much but I could feel it in my ankles.  So I decided to bring it back to 0.

Opened the new (white/orange) app, found calibration tab, started reading.

Firstly, although the English is vastly improved over the old app, it is incorrect.  It tells you to set the wheel at the angle you desire, press "yes" and the wheel will turn off.  There's no way to follow these instructions, because with the wheel on, and at the wrong calibration angle, it won't let you move it to the desired angle, because its ON, and when it's on it wont let you change the angle.  Undeterred, I figured I'd set the desired angle once it was switched off, so I hit "yes"....NOTHING! Tried a few more times, and still nothing.  So I pulled out a spare phone that still has the old (black/green, read: good) app on it. That app has terrible English but I knew what to do, and it worked. 

The method: 

Find an app that measures angles in all directions and place the phone on a perfectly horizontal surface (like under the handle on the ks16). I find it helps to have two phones; one with the King Song App and one with the "bubble level" App. If you only have access to a conventional (one dimension level) then put it on an open pedal and estimate as best you can the left/right vertical-ness(?). EDIT (verticuity:D)

Turn on the wheel, and lean it up against a wall so it is perfectly upright left to right (you may have to prevent it from toppling over). Open the old app and connect, find calibration button, push the correct button Yes/calibrate (whatever it says), the wheel will turn off.  Take the time to carefully orientate the wheel to your desired angle, but make sure it's completely vertical in the left/right plane or you might experience weird pedal dipping in corners.  WITHOUT MOVING THE WHEEL- switch the wheel back on.  Hear five beeps. then turn wheel off.  There will probably be an annoying continuous beep somewhere in there too; just ignore it.  Turn wheel back on and confirm the angle is correct. Ride off into the sunset.

KEEP A VERSION OF YOUR OLD APP SOMEWHERE AND DON'T LET IT UPGRADE ITSELF.

I hope this helps someone.

Holy Moly....

First i wanted to respond....“for me its working well on the new app“.....(because on an earlier version it was, i know for sure....)

Then i thought...slow down, check it, @Smootherwill know what he is talking about :-)

And yes....seams in the latest versions of their app the f&%“%& off the calibration setting :-(

Please, @Flora Yuan.....can you talk to your boss about investing some more energy/work into the app team???

First all the wait, then the IOS registration problems...now Calibrating the wheel dont work anymore!

That is a very important option for our KS wheel! And IOS user have no chance to use the old app...at least not that easy!

So please....

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Then i thought...slow down, check it, @Smootherwill know what he is talking about :-)

Who, me?  My personal philosophy is "if you throw enough shit against a wall, some of it is bound to stick".

Or to put it another way "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

• 2 weeks later...
On 18.3.2018 at 1:46 PM, Smoother said:

heads up in case someone else runs across this problem.

Hy @Smoother

I contacted KS, Flora, and ask them to put more work into the app, and repair this fault.....

And see: Last week she messaged me back, that now the new app should work again. Also she promised that they will look more into the software quality of the app in general!

I allready tested the recalibration feature on the new app today and yes, it is working again! I also dont see any other problems anymore, all features working for me!

@Flora Yuan Thanks for listening and helping out! Keep up the good work :-)

Archived