KS-16S Pedal Angle Questions

Chris Grant

Hey everyone!

I'm on Day 2 of ownership and loving it so far having upgraded from an Inmotion V5F+.  Considerably smoother and faster, especially when powering through windy streets here in Chicago.

The biggest thing I've noticed, however, is that when decelerating - it's not uncommon for the angle of the pedals to start tipping downwards in front of me. When I accelerate, naturally it will revert back - however, it can be quite a maneuver getting my footing back to a comfortable position with lots of starts and stops.

The Level Calibration wasn't ideal in the app, so I'm not sure the best way to go about this.  On the InMotion app, I could set an preferred angle (-1.2 for example).  Is there a similar approach for this machine?

Thanks

20 hours ago, Chris Grant said:

Sorry - update.  

During *Acceleration* I notice that the pedals tip forward, not deceleration.  My bad.

That being said - and I know this is a stupid question, but is there a "front" to the wheel?

Regarding the front, there are various opinions, but I know what KingSong considers the front. Do this:

1. Turn the wheel on
  2. Connect your app to the wheel
  3. With the wheel standing by itself, turn on the headlamp from the app.
  4. The light that turns on indicates the front.
  5. Regardless of how you orient the wheel, the same light always turns on.

On my KS14S, the power button is at the back of the wheel.

Now regarding your pedal dip. Set the pedal mode to the hard/firm mode (I forget right this second what it's called). You should feel almost no dip when accelerating or decelerating. In the Soft mode there is a noticeable amount of dip when accelerating.

Marty’s suggestion about the running light should show on the KS 16S that the buttons are to the front, just the opposite of his KS 14S. (don’t know why they differ, but they do between the 14 and 16)

As far as pedal dip you might also do a calibration and set the wheel so it’s tilted back 2 to 3 degrees, this seems to make it more comfortable when you’re at a normal cruising speed, also more effective for acceleration.

It took me awhile to get used to some forward dip in turns, but I eventually got used to it and noticed a little more knee bend entering the turn helped me a lot to compensate for the dip. As Marty said, I much prefer the stiffer pedal mode, I think they call it expert or player mode, something like that.

9 hours ago, Chris Grant said:

Sorry - update.  

During *Acceleration* I notice that the pedals tip forward, not deceleration.  My bad.

That being said - and I know this is a stupid question, but is there a "front" to the wheel?

Now what you are asking makes sense.

To add to the excellent reply that  @Marty Backe  has already given; you are actually describing riding mode which can be configured on the KS-16s on its App. If i remember  correctly there are three settings:

• Player” mode: rock solid peddles with very little tilt forward on acceleration or back on braking
  • Cycling” mode: slightly softer, small amount of tilt forward and back, may find this more comfortable for long rides or bumpy ground.
  • Learning” mode: very soft - lots of tilt forward and backwards, usually unpleasantly soft - even for a learner. If the wheel has defaulted to this mode you really will not like it ?

Different manufacturers have different concepts of soft and hard riding modes, it is possible that KingSong’s Player mode may not be as hard as Inmotions, I’ve not personally been able to compare the two?

Try turning the wheel around and ride it facing the opposite direction.

On a Kingsong, the headlight is always in the direction of travel.  Doesn't matter where the power button is.

I ride my Ninebot E+ facing backwards because the pedals feel tilted down when riding one way and tilted up riding the other way.  I like the pedals tilted slightly up in front.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

So, I've set it to Expert Riding Mode and the dipping is resolved as it stays mostly flat.  Turning with the 16S definitely feels more nimble (for better or worse) than the InMotion V5F.  I've confirmed that the 16S as mentioned above, has it's 'front' with the buttons in front you of you, not behind.  That being said, it certainly feels much more comfortable to ride it the other way!

25 minutes ago, Chris Grant said:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

So, I've set it to Expert Riding Mode and the dipping is resolved as it stays mostly flat.  Turning with the 16S definitely feels more nimble (for better or worse) than the InMotion V5F.  I've confirmed that the 16S as mentioned above, has it's 'front' with the buttons in front you of you, not behind.  That being said, it certainly feels much more comfortable to ride it the other way!

Glad that helped with the dip, even with mine set to the stiffer mode I still get some dip especially if it’s a 180 degree or more turn so I have learned just to adjust with a more pronounced knee bend and that seems to help to the point that the dip that I do get seems almost natural now.

As far as front/back it really doesn’t make much difference unless perhaps you were riding in a lot of rain or standing water in which case possibly the tread pattern might come into play as far as pushing water out from under the tire, but we really don’t go fast enough for that to make much of a difference (referring to tire rotation direction printed on tire). With all that being said just ride it any which way feels better to you personally, because bottom line is that it doesn’t really make any functional difference, unless, like me, you calibrate the wheel so it is not level. As I mentioned above it seems most comfortable to have the wheel calibrated with a couple degrees tip to the back, but that is all a matter of personal preference.

Have fun, it’s a good Wheel !! :D

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

Try turning the wheel around and ride it facing the opposite direction.

On a Kingsong, the headlight is always in the direction of travel.  Doesn't matter where the power button is.

I ride my Ninebot E+ facing backwards because the pedals feel tilted down when riding one way and tilted up riding the other way.  I like the pedals tilted slightly up in front.

As @Master Blaster also mentions, our tires do have tread direction. Whether it has much affect on our wheels I don't know. But the tread direction does dictate what the proper front direction is on our wheels. So you can look at the tread or follow my directions to identify what KingSong considers the front of their wheel. Of course if you don't care, ride it any direction that you want.

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Of course if you don't care, ride it any direction that you want.

Or just ride it in both directions and call it a day . Since the KS lights work both ways I tend to not bother finding the “front “ . I just hop on and ride . Sometimes power button is in front, sometimes it’s in the back . I’ve never really noticed any difference. 

39 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Or just ride it in both directions and call it a day . Since the KS lights work both ways I tend to not bother finding the “front “ . I just hop on and ride . Sometimes power button is in front, sometimes it’s in the back . I’ve never really noticed any difference. 

I need to ride my KS14S with the power button in the back. My sense of oneness with the universe would be 'off' if I were to ride it in a random direction :blink:

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I need to ride my KS14S with the power button in the back. My sense of oneness with the universe would be 'off' if I were to ride it in a random direction :blink:

The rest of the world labels that as, "OCD."

Archived