Foam potection suggestions?

Unventor

I am slowly starting to begin my EUC training on my Inmotion V8, but I really like suggestions to protect my wheel.

I got some foam to pad up the wheel to avoid the wheel to get too damaged. But I am struggling to understand where this foam will do the most good,

Obviously, you could cover the hole wheel but, in the end,, I don’t have that much foam and it sort of obscure the pretty design of the wheel.

The other part why my learning curve is extended to be a bit longer than normal is I have medical condition (psoriasis arthritis and osteoarthritis) with my lower back, hips, knee and feet that have put me off sports and general exercise.

I has come to a point I have to start thinking: going to work, home to tv/computer and then sleep, repeat cycle, have to change. Hence the EUC comes into play. I am pretty sure the EUC over time, will help me achieve what I look to get out of my EUC. And on the up side I can use it to commute to work (only 1.5-2km each way).

So back to the original question: protective rookie foam. I have the original cover too, but I am thinking to put foam on the red markings. 

As for a laugh, here is the result of 5-10 min training in basement, This is practically my first ride on it: http://youtu.be/c1nr3l52HI8

Note: I found it was easier without the baggage strap attached to wheel, but I don't have a video of that. 

5aacd574a9e04_foamsuggestion.jpg.4c1e9ef07b57c681bf9501d765fc7066.jpg suggestion

5aacd56c2decc_cleanpic.jpeg.d548e7376a6cb829ace1bf04e14e5a37.jpegclear pic you can draw on if you like

Long time reader, first time posting, And as of last week first time injured . So don't forget to pad yourself. This time it was just a dislocated shoulder and some scrapes could have been worse . 

This is what works for me after several different configurations . Mainly you have to hit the high spots. What I do is was laying flat on the floor and see where ever it touch the ground .

Hope this helps and happy and safe riding.

v8 padding.jpeg

Thanks. You picked my pic idea as I hoped. Very appreciated. 

I don' know yet. But most types glue can be resolved with isopropyl alcohol or clear lamp oil.

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

As for a laugh, here is the result of 5-10 min training in basement, This is practically my first ride on it: http://youtu.be/c1nr3l52HI8

Note: I found it was easier without the baggage strap attached to wheel, but I don't have a video of that. 

You look like you are doing really well and thinking through protecting your wheel too - well done.

However I feel I should point out that your video shows the classic reason why people wrongly complain the baggage strap is no use. Having a short strap and pulling on it like reins screws your balance up awfully, it will really badly slow down the learning process and absolutely not help you. That isn’t what the strap is for! The strap should be long enough to hold loosely, it’s function is to stop the wheel running away from you if you come off, causing damage to it or other property or, as often happens, spinning wildly and cracking you in your shins. If the wheel does go out of control just lift it off the ground by the strap. 

One of the two EUC prosecutions that has happened in the U.K. was the result of a rider losing control of his wheel which shot off and damaged a car. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he was prosecuted for riding without insurance. A correctly used strap would almost certainly have prevented this happening.

Point taken @Keith as for my first ride, I only wanted to see if I could ride with the pain I had in my left foot. It went better than expected, but I still have a very long way to go. 

I will wear my my potection gear next til. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok nothing but to laugh about this.

I started to foam up my wheel but forgot to cut out a hole for battery indicator at it didn't show up in my poor lighting I was working in.

Only once I put on my number protection I realised my mistake. Do any of you have a measurement of distance from front led headlight to the battery display and how long the display is? Prefer cm but inch measurement will do.

Thanks again for in advance for helping out.

This is why I never work on my car. I tend always to forget a 'minor' detail, no matter how much I prepare for it.

Thanks a lot. Fantastic to have a helping community.

@Keith see I did my 2nd training today.

All geared up but the baggage trap. 

It is hard to learn as I am using this to training up my knees, feets and lower back due to medical conditions having pain preventing me from sports I used to do until my late twenties.

But so far so good.

Note: Thanks @Bobwheel for persvading me to go for Inmotion V8.

Bahhh. <_< More snow like 2-3" last night. So more basement training the next few days. 

(removed picture to save upload space)

On 17/03/2018 at 2:14 AM, Unventor said:

I keep seeing people with tires inflated like that (somewhat low to my eyes at least). Yesterday though I noticed it mentioned somewhere that the V8 tire hitting the housing is a sign of over-inflating, so maybe I've been doing that all along. I'm just so used to a peddle unicycle where under-inflating really hinders turning ability. Same things happens on an EUC for me where turns feel sluggish.

Anyway, that's besides the point of the post. When I got mine, I bought a bunch of vinyl wrap like they use for cars. It won't protect nearly as much as the foam or covers, but it's somewhat inevitable you'll scrape the wheel at some point. The shell of mine has held up well with the vinyl, it's just the pedals that have taken some hits, but I double covered them so I'm not really sure what it's like under that. You can also do some nice color combo stuff with vinyl!

Well I managed to get my Black & Decker Airstation ais300 attached to the valve after deflating it a bit. Now it is at recommended 2.80 bar. I am not sure what it was before I deflated it. 

I didn’t film my 3rd training session. Main reason I had so much pain n my foot that it didn’t show much improvement. So, this is from my training today/this late evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaLAUd4S7SQ

After the training I covered the rim and underside of the pedals with a coat of duct tape. It is ony a temporary thing until I can ride it without falling over (so frequent) and to be ready once weather allow me to test outside. The narrow basement worked to begin with but now I need to step it up a bit I think.

32 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well I managed to get my Black & Decker Airstation ais300 attached to the valve after deflating it a bit. Now it is at recommended 2.80 bar. I am not sure what it was before I deflated it. 

I didn’t film my 3rd training session. Main reason I had so much pain n my foot that it didn’t show much improvement. So, this is from my training today/this late evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaLAUd4S7SQ

After the training I covered the rim and underside of the pedals with a coat of duct tape. It is ony a temporary thing until I can ride it without falling over (so frequent) and to be ready once weather allow me to test outside. The narrow basement worked to begin with but now I need to step it up a bit I think.

Great progress!  You are ready to ride outside for longer distances.  Nice getting on the wheel near the end of the video without using the wall.

That narrow basement looks like the best place to learn.

Looking good!  Hey are you in Canada too?  :lol:  Your window view is pretty much what I've been seeing for the past many months.  :crying:

I wonder if the narrow hallway might be counterproductive as the urge to touch the side walls might be throwing off your balance.  If you have a set of four chairs and a larger room, try setting a pair back to back to your right and left and the other set 10 feet away.  Practice rolling to the other set and back.  Increase the distance over time.

Well I did another training session this evening in the basement. Now I am picking up control beter and better..still noob though. 

I almost managed to crash with half of a style :P

I have added Duck tape on the pedals underside and edge to avoid the worst scratching during learning.

But accidently cut my wheel cover while cuting the duck tape in right sizes.? You can see the cut in the cover over the R and N.

20180403_072541.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well after pushing my training earlier this week I decided to test to commuting to work. It turns out to be a 1.8km ride. However it seems I am not strong or have the stamina in my ankles, knees and legs to do a ride like this yet. I could barely walk in flat ground afterwards and no stairs at all. I rode the wat Home in The afternoon again. But had to postpone any more training a few days to recover. 

After test riding today I decided I properly have to move the ankle coussin as they seem to make stepping up a bit hard where they are right now.

You can see me testing stepping up and my balance and slow turning here.

It is as raw as video can get. No editing ?

Archived