Tesla Custom Parking Stand... ETC

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Charles McLean  The FlexSeal is interesting stuff. It take 24 hours to dry so I will not know about the final appearance or durability for a day. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Looking good!  If you're impatient, you can use a hair dryer to greatly speed up the process and apply a 2nd layer (if you like).  With 2 layers and a hair dryer it should still be dry in hours.  If you're concerned, wait 24 hours for it to fully cure, but it's not an absolutely necessary rule.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

Looking good!  If you're impatient, you can use a hair dryer to greatly speed up the process and apply a 2nd layer (if you like).  With 2 layers and a hair dryer it should still be dry in hours.  If you're concerned, wait 24 hours for it to fully cure, but it's not an absolutely necessary rule.

Thanks. I may let it dry naturally to see if the texture settles down.

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks. I may let it dry naturally to see if the texture settles down.

The texture settles down a lot ... far less large ripples.  Honestly, I've always used a heat gun so I don't know what it looks like when it "cures naturally".  But, it will cure to a texture with only small ripples or bumps, slightly larger, but similar to the original pads that came with the tesla.

11 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

The texture settles down a lot ... far less large ripples.  Honestly, I've always used a heat gun so I don't know what it looks like when it "cures naturally"

Excellent. I worry about using a heat gun because the foam was partially contoured by the initial use of heat. 

25 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Excellent. I worry about using a heat gun because the foam was partially contoured by the initial use of heat. 

Don't melt your foam!  LOL ... use heat gun with caution ... with great power, comes great responsibility.  LOL

4 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

Don't melt your foam!  LOL ... use heat gun with caution ... with great power, comes great responsibility.  LOL

:)

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The new pads are sprayed and mounted and feel extremely comfortable!

39916726905_320362caa8_b.jpg

That looks great. I’ve used the flex seal in the past and it’s extremely durable stuff! 

Be warned though , I’ve heard some manufacturers (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular) have stolen ideas ...maybe the next generation Tesla will have the rebab1 edition padding . ?

1 hour ago, Scott Henley said:

That looks great. I’ve used the flex seal in the past and it’s extremely durable stuff! 

Be warned though , I’ve heard some manufacturers (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular) have stolen ideas ...maybe the next generation Tesla will have the rebab1 edition padding . ?

Thank you! I hope GW does steal the idea  I feel bad for a newbie that buys a Tesla with the current thin padding. Their inner calves are not conditioned yet. @Hunka Hunka Burning Love even mentioned about changing his padding. If I were just riding straight routes there would not be an issue but when I hugged Tesla’s OEM pads during a number of steep turns over the last few days it was not comfortable. It is now.

I haven't changed my padding, but I had the original smaller pad version.  Yours was actually the "fix!"  I think I need to ride mine more to get used to it, but I do have calve wrap guards coming so we'll see how those work out.  Maybe we just have muscular he-man calves that stick out too much!  :whistling:

how-to-build-big-calves-main.jpg

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe we just have muscular he-man calves that stick out too much!  :whistling:

That is disgusting.  :barf:  I prefer your beautiful women images. :D

More mods. I decided to see if my ACM spiked pedals would work on Tesla. My feet were damp yesterday and were slipping a bit on the OEM pedals. The ACM pedals fit perfectly. Now one major modification was needed. I did not want my feet to be locked in on these pedals the same as my ACM. I’m sure the grip of the spikes contributed to my injury. 

I ground down each spike by 50% which still grips my shoes but still allows me to shift my feet when riding. Reducing the height of each spike also allowed the pedal magnets to work as designed. I then added a thin layer of padding to the side shells so the blunt pedal tips would not abrade the plastic. 

40784305812_6986ca953a_b.jpg

40784305932_716ede5d10_b.jpg

40117078654_b6e4a5a249_b.jpg

39016212220_4a8b0bc4c9_b.jpg

4 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

So @Rehab1...does you wife know about any of this yet?

Well of course. :facepalm:

3 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

@Rehab1 Hahahaha ... plead the 5th ... anything you say can and will be used against you!

I’m well beyond the 5th plus my nose is twice as long since I began this hobby.

2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

OMG the spikes. You're giving me a heart attack, Rehab :o

No longer spikes. Call them blunt protuberances. :)

38 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Dude! I'm glad I don't live in Ohio. That state is going to go nuclear when she gets wind of this! :o

I thought those pedals were history. It is amazing how secure and comfortable my feet feel standing on these blunt studs. I just needed to figure out the correct dimensions. Now I can easily adjustment my feet when required but they are still held securely in place otherwise.

On 3/11/2018 at 2:20 PM, NECway said:

To my non engineer eye your parking stand looks like a disaster waiting to happen. What I'm foreseeing is the parking stand catching on something while riding with an undesired result. I don't know of a good way to change it. As far as fabrication, it is a nice looking stand, just not something I would put on my Tesla.

Maybe an 'A' shape bracket coming out of the back of the shell that can be flipped down for standing and flipped up for riding.

Edited.  I'm glad you removed that stand.  It was an accident waiting to happen.

My new knee braces have an awesome red metal frame so I painted my Tesla spiked pedals to match.  No I am not getting red shoes! :)

39035754860_fede2b625f_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

My new knee braces have an awesome red metal frame so I painted my Tesla spiked pedals to match.  No I am not getting red shoes! :)

What paint did u use? Red on pedals looks awesome A+

3 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

What paint did u use? Red on pedals looks awesome A+

Thanks! The paint is made by Dupli-Color and is a Metalcast Anodized Red. I had to sandblast the pedals for good adhesion but they were my spare spike pedals so I was not too worried if I screwed up. 

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Very nice... Now let's get back to that awesome TFU concept wheel stand. 

With my ideas and your talent we can be famous! 

On 3/9/2018 at 10:08 PM, Mrd777 said:

I love having all my wheels stand on their edge, it’s perfect for charging too. They all get a car molding strip that works perfectly. The wheel is very stable, and you also add a layer of protection. It stands with light facing the ground too. 

EF27BEBC-363A-4FD5-96EA-3C6F1F12A06E.jpeg

A+, when I came off my Tesla having turned a little too quickly once it did somersaults spinning and flinging trim off. There was no breakage, just the parts that have molding attached in the photo above came off. They Reattached easily as they’re snap fit but that incident completely wrecked my confidence in the Tesla shell build quality. I was planning to 3D print a little attachment that had two subtle feet and screw it onto the rear of my Tesla shell where the shell stops and wheel begins, but this seems like a two birds one stone solution. One click ordered!

Archived