Tesla Custom Parking Stand... ETC

Since I can’t ride my new Tesla yet I might as well modify it. I fabricated a custom parking stand today. This is much more stable than the old Nnebot One parking stand. 

I spent a good portion of the day bending 1/4 x 5x8” aluminum bar stock to make all of the unique contours. When performing sharp bends I used a propane torch to heat the metal so it would not fracture.

The stand mounts on the bottom of the pedal  hangers and is attached with four 10-32 SS screws so it can be removed in seconds. 

I found some interesting machined ends that I attached to the round carbon fiber cross bar. They did add some additional stability.  I then machined some little round disks that were sand blasted and attached to the sides of the machined ends. They helped tie together the finish of Tesla’s pedals. 

I purposely angled the mount high in the back so there would not be any contact with the ground during quick stops and reverses. I may angle the stand up higher once I have a chance to test it while riding. It is just a simple bend. 

Gotway Tesla Parking Stand

40713952801_1d80910e0d_b.jpg

The stand is positioned higher than the pedals both fore/aft and laterally for maximun clearance. 

40714977331_7bfe34e859_b.jpg

39819670635_6aaaa21ab3_b.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Since I can’t ride my new Tesla yet I might as well modify it. I fabricated a custom parking stand today. This is much more stable than the old Nnebot One parking stand. 

I spent a good portion of the day bending 1/4 x 5x8” aluminum bar stock to make all of the unique contours. When performing sharp bends I used a propane torch to heat the metal so it would not fracture.

The stand mounts on the bottom of the pedal  hangers and is attached with four 10-32 SS screws so it can be removed in seconds. 

I found some interesting machined ends that I attached to the round carbon fiber cross bar. They did add some additional stability.  I then machined some little round disks that were sand blasted and attached to the sides of the machined ends. They helped tie together the finish of Tesla’s pedals. 

I purposely angled the mount high in the back so there would not be any contact with the ground during quick stops and reverses. I may angle the stand up higher once I have a chance to test it while riding. It is just a simple bend. 

40713952801_1d80910e0d_b.jpg

Nice work @Rehab1! It looks really good and very clean . IMO the bar might need to be a bit higher depending on the type of riding you do. If you strictly ride on paved roads , sidewalks etc ...then I’d say it’s fine.   if you ride off-road , steep , sharp hills with a bunch of undulations then you might benefit from it being slightly higher . Love the idea though! I wish features like this would just come standard , at the very least be offered as secondary purchases by the manufacturers. 

10 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Nice work @Rehab1! It looks really good and very clean . IMO the bar might need to be a bit higher depending on the type of riding you do. If you strictly ride on paved roads , sidewalks etc ...then I’d say it’s fine.   if you ride off-road , steep , sharp hills with a bunch of undulations then you might benefit from it being slightly higher . Love the idea though! I wish features like this would just come standard , at the very least be offered as secondary purchases by the manufacturers. 

Thanks! I might recontour the stand to raise it up another inch. It literally takes minutes. I posted a few more pictures that depict the current clearances. The stand sits about 1” higher than the pedals.

32 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks! I might recontour the stand to raise it up another inch. It literally takes minutes. I posted a few more pictures that depict the current clearances. The stand sits about 1” higher than the pedals.

Nice photos . The Tesla sure is I good looking machine ! After looking at the new photos it appears that the stand sits high enough as it is to handle most terrain . I guess the real test will be to get it out into the world and see how it performs . 

:popcorn:  Hmmm I wonder if the stand could also double as a tow hitch to attach a small wagon or kid carrier?  We need some storage options (and a cup holder) on these rides dammit!  :w00t2:  They really need to devise an easily deployable stand that is integrated into the shell so one can just swivel it down into place when needed.  Laying these wheels on their sides is akin to laying a motorcycle on the ground.  Just doesn't look cool!  B)

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:popcorn:  Hmmm I wonder if the stand could also double as a tow hitch to attach a small wagon or kid carrier?  We need some storage options (and a cup holder) on these rides dammit!  :w00t2:

Ha Ha!  Cupholders:P  

That reminded me of the last Duf video I watched.  He usually has a large coffee in hand.image.thumb.png.f3a6810e8a7beb767e45ace3d9761177.png

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:popcorn:  Hmmm I wonder if the stand could also double as a tow hitch to attach a small wagon or kid carrier?  We need some storage options (and a cup holder) on these rides dammit!  :w00t2:  They really need to devise an easily deployable stand that is integrated into the shell so one can just swivel it down into place when needed.  Laying these wheels on their sides is akin to laying a motorcycle on the ground.  Just doesn't look cool!  B)

Your thought process is identical to mine. As I’m driving home the thought came to mind about attaching a wagon to pull kids around. Great minds!.:thumbup:

I am very surprised that Ninebot is the only company to have a stand as an option. If you look at the threaded holes on the NB1, both front and rear, the company’s engineers were thinking ahead about adding additional accessories.

Now that I have the threaded holes tapped in my pedal hangers my mad professor synapses are firing as I begin contemplating other attachments.  :dribble:

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Your thought process is identical to mine. As I’m driving home the thought came to mind about attaching a wagon to pull kids around. Great minds!.:thumbup:

I.am very surprised that Ninebot is the only company to have a stand as an option. If you look at the threaded holes on the NB1, both front and rear, the company’s engineers were thinking ahead about adding additional accessories

Now that I have the threaded holes tapped in my pedal hangers my mad professor synapses are firing as I begin contemplating other attachments.  :dribble:

I saw the parking stand for the Ninebot in @SuperSport's modifications, and it looks good, but as I usually jump off backwards in slow speed falls, I was a little worried that my heels would catch on it and trip me.  No problem for @Sidestreet Reny  He's used to jumping out of a crash.  Not me. :roflmao:

6 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I saw the parking stand for the Ninebot in @SuperSport's modifications, and it looks good, but as I usually jump off backwards in slow speed falls, I was a little worried that my heels would catch on it and trip me.  No problem for @Sidestreet Reny  He's used to jumping out of a crash.  Not me. :roflmao:

I actually still have the OEM NB1 stand from the wheel I gave to my grandson. It was extremely tipsy. Did Supersport fabricate his own?

Come to think of it... where the hell is @SuperSport? I miss communicating with him. 

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I actually still have the OEM NB1 stand from the wheel I gave to my grandson. It was extremely tipsy. Did Supersport fabricate his own?

Come to think of it... where the hell is @SuperSport? I miss communicating with him. 

He didn't fabricate it, he just modified it.  

3 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

Nice work @Rehab1!!

Thanks! As others have stated an integrated stand would be awesome but I am tired of tearing new wheels apart for months on end. I would rather ride.  :)

20 minutes ago, steve454 said:

He didn't fabricate it, he just modified it.  

He probably went with a wider platform. That is the main issue with parking stands. If the platform is too narrow the wheel falls over and if too wide it not only looks terrible but it can catch on objects as you ride. I refuse to drill into my Tesla’s plastic shell for a more cosmetic design. Those days are over.

14 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

He probably went with a wider platform. That is the main issue with parking stands. If the platform is too narrow the wheel falls over and if too wide it not only looks terrible but it can catch on objects as you ride. I refuse to drill into my Tesla’s plastic shell for a more cosmetic design. Those days are over.

You say this now ...2 months later you’ll have a video up of some crazy mod . ?

We all know how you like your mods . ?

I love having all my wheels stand on their edge, it’s perfect for charging too. They all get a car molding strip that works perfectly. The wheel is very stable, and you also add a layer of protection. It stands with light facing the ground too. 

EF27BEBC-363A-4FD5-96EA-3C6F1F12A06E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

I love having all my wheels stand on their edge, it’s perfect for charging too. They all get a car molding strip that works perfectly. The wheel is very stable, and you also add a layer of protection. It stands with light facing the ground too. 

Where can I get the same moulding strip?

11 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Beautiful job! I still have roll so you just convinced me. :cheers:

Hmmh,

while this may work perfectly as a parking stand, i would not screw something like this on my wheel (anymore).

See my Monster and the rod that i used for getting the trolley on:

5sniHIK.jpg

NOW, the endscrews of the rod are not sticking out of the tire“end“ anymore...

But at first there was a bit of rod sticking out, about 1cm behind the screwstire. Everytime i trolley down the Monster some stairs the rod touches the stairs, and it gets an major impact on the rod and pedals. Even when slowly driving down a sidewalk i got this impact. (nope, i am no general curb jumper, but sometimes you will not get of the wheel for a 10cm curb). 

Even now after that i cut this little endrod piece, very seldom i get this impact, when the tire is a bit squezzed.

So hopefully your parkstand design will not have this behaviour, because it looks great and is perfect as a parkstand itself!

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Hmmh,

while this may work perfectly as a parking stand, i would not screw something like this on my wheel (anymore).

See my Monster and the rod that i used for getting the trolley on:

5sniHIK.jpg

NOW, the endscrews of the rod are not sticking out of the tire“end“ anymore...

But at first there was a bit of rod sticking out, about 1cm behind the screwstire. Everytime i trolley down the Monster some stairs the rod touches the stairs, and it gets an major impact on the rod and pedals. Even when slowly driving down a sidewalk i got this impact. (nope, i am no general curb jumper, but sometimes you will not get of the wheel for a 10cm curb). 

Even now after that i cut this little endrod piece, very seldom i get this impact, when the tire is a bit squezzed.

So hopefully your parkstand design will not have this behaviour, because it looks great and is perfect as a parkstand itself!

Very nice design ! I see the rod has been shortened. That has to make you feel more comfortable when riding.

I’m sure once I begin riding Tesla there will be a few tweaks to the stand. I can easily put another contour in the lateral struts to raise the platform another 35mm. Currently the platform is 25mm above the top of the pedals in both planes. 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Very nice design ! I see the rod has been shortened. That has to make you feel more comfortable when riding.

I’m sure once I begin riding Tesla there will be a few tweaks to the stand. I can easily put another contour in the lateral struts to raise the platform another 35mm. Currently the platform is 25mm above the top of the pedals in both planes. 

To my non engineer eye your parking stand looks like a disaster waiting to happen. What I'm foreseeing is the parking stand catching on something while riding with an undesired result. I don't know of a good way to change it. As far as fabrication, it is a nice looking stand, just not something I would put on my Tesla.

Maybe an 'A' shape bracket coming out of the back of the shell that can be flipped down for standing and flipped up for riding.

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I guess if it would be just a bit higher and more near to the shell, it would have bo chance to get stuck somewhere!

Nonetheless: Top Notch work...as to be exspected from you ;-)

4 hours ago, NECway said:

To my non engineer eye your parking stand looks like a disaster waiting to happen. What I'm foreseeing is the parking stand catching on something while riding with an undesired result. I don't know of a good way to change it. As far as fabrication, it is a nice looking stand, just not something I would put on my Tesla.

Maybe an 'A' shape bracket coming out of the back of the shell that can be flipped down for standing and flipped up for riding.

You may be correct. I don’t plan on riding in the woods with the stand that could result in catching a foreign object. As mentioned earlier it can be removed in less than a minute for that type of riding.

If was a fun project and now that I have gone to the trouble of tapping holes in pedal mounts I plan to use those for addtional temporary accessories such as custom Gopro camera mounts. 

Archived