New Mten3 Color Scheme in Progress

9 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Rehab1 custom MTen3 shell?

You win the high five! :)

4 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Check out that sweet insect grille on the front. 

:laughbounce2:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I decided to follow @Marty Backe and begin creating a new color scheme for my Mten3.

I modified my Mten3 last year with a black carbon vinyl wrap and some decorative air scoops but I have to agree with Marty that black is becoming boring. My color scheme this time around will be a matte metallic ghost blue wrap with platinum silver trim. 

I am starting with a clean slate using new shells and trim that I ordered from Jason last year.

I masked off the transparent lens of the black trim before painting the pieces so I would not diminish any illumination of the wheel’s LED lights. 

I am using a plastic specific paint called Krylon Fusion.

Once the trim paint dried I removed the masking tape. The transparency of the smokey lens remained intact. A clear blue plastic overlay will eventually cover the  black LED lens when the mods are complete. 

33936935278_00b4f80512_b.jpg

This is the color of the vinyl wrap I’ll be applying. 

I plan to shoot a video of the vinyl wrap application but it may be rated ‘Graphic Language’. I wrapped the Mten3 last year and if I remember correctly some colorful @&$#% slipped out. :facepalm:

Very cool. I've never done anything with vinyl wrap and yet I keep seeing people reference it with their wheels. I would be very interested in any video content that you would release.

And it never occurred to me to paint the center pieces like you did. Cool. And since I cut out my LED strip lights, I can paint the entire thing. I'll have to think if there would be a complementary 3rd color for that (against red & black) or just stick with black.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Very cool. I've never done anything with vinyl wrap and yet I keep seeing people reference it with their wheels. I would be very interested in any video content that you would release.

Thanks! The application process can be tricky for neophytes like me but my first attempt was satisfactory so we’ll see. I can’t wrap the handle with vinyl so I just painted it silver and then the blue vinyl will terminate at the base of the handle’s contours. 

I hope it turns out as classy as your wheels. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks! The application process can be tricky for neophytes like me but my first attempt was satisfactory so we’ll see. I can’t wrap the handle with vinyl so I just painted it silver and then the blue vinyl will terminate at the base of the handle’s contours. 

I hope it turns out as classy as your wheels. 

No worries. Everything you do is classy :efefd0f676:

39272627874_ef477989c2_b.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

No worries. Everything you do is classy :efefd0f676:

39272627874_ef477989c2_b.jpg

Good one Marty! :P  Both of our arms were colorful! 🌈

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Good one Marty! :P  Both of our arms were colorful! 🌈

Nice try deflecting my comment by talking about colors ;)

• Like 1

Day 2: I’m headed down another rabbit hole modifying my Mten3. This was suppose to be easy. I should have just stayed with primary colors like @Marty Backe ‘s red and black scheme. 

Dilemma #1: Finding a padding color that matches the primary blue hue. I attempted to apply paint over the OEM pads  but the porosity was too great so I decided to upholster the pads using with a blue suede leather. 

47030023974_febb0fa83b_b.jpg

One pad completed.

47819630211_652afd94ae_b.jpg

47030023494_50e12b2cbc_b.jpg

Next the pedals needed sandblasted before repainting. 

33942261648_e2f1b3547a_b.jpg

33942261308_9d80019ac4_b.jpg

40853114463_6a651d4395_b.jpg

40853114603_f644781c84_b.jpg

Tomorrow I’ll paint the pedals, upholster the other 3 pads and hopefully complete the vinyl wrap. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ChandlerAZ said:

Here are my 2 mten3 color schemes....I was inspired by @Marty Backe red and black mten3. 

IMG-0707.JPG

Very nice :cheers: And two Mten3's? You're not the only one I know that has more than one Mten3. I'm negligent at only one :)

Are those painted?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice :cheers: And two Mten3's? You're not the only one I know that has more than one Mten3. I'm negligent at only one :)

Are those painted?

Actually, the green one is the wife's mten3 and the blue one is mine. Both are painted with 2x rustoleum on the pads, pedals, and shells. Thanks for the idea and inspiration!! It was kind of bland to have two white mten3s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChandlerAZ said:

Here are my 2 mten3 color schemes....I was inspired by @Marty Backe red and black mten3. 

IMG-0707.JPG

Awesome job(s) with the paint schemes. Painting is so much easier and smarter  than this vinyl wrap job I’m working on.

I’m am also envious that your wife rides. I would gold plate a wheel for my wife if I could convince her to learn this sport. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Awesome job(s) with the paint schemes. Painting is so much easier and smarter  than this vinyl wrap job I’m working on.

I’m am also envious that your wife rides. I would gold plate a wheel for my wife if I could convince her to learn this sport. 

Painting is much easier for sure, I tried do a wrap and I failed miserably! I cant wait to see how yours turns out.

What's great about my wife riding, is that I can get a wheel anytime I want!...........The bad thing about my wife riding is that I have to purchase two of every wheel I get! I'm going broke :P

Edited by ChandlerAZ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ChandlerAZ said:

Actually, the green one is the wife's mten3 and the blue one is mine. Both are painted with 2x rustoleum on the pads, pedals, and shells. Thanks for the idea and inspiration!! It was kind of bland to have two white mten3s.

:thumbup:

There's a real danger that I'm going to paint all my wheels.

So nice that you can enjoy rides with your wife, on the same wheel no less.

50 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I see a lot of people who wrap their wheels. I guess it's because they feel that there's nothing permanently done to the wheel. Yet when you paint it, you can always paint over it if you don't like the color.  Then again, maybe they are thinking of resale value?

I only got halfway through your video this morning (I'm at work right now - will finish tonight) but I'm thinking that I'll stick with painting. That vinyl wrap does look like an ordeal. With the painting I don't even have to take the shells off the wheel. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I see a lot of people who wrap their wheels. I guess it's because they feel that there's nothing permanently done to the wheel. Yet when you paint it, you can always paint over it if you don't like the color.  Then again, maybe they are thinking of resale value?

I have respect for those that can wrap an entire car or van. Resale value might be an issue and I’m glad I didn’t paint any of my wheels before the accident because it might have affected the price when I sold the lot. 

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I only got halfway through your video this morning (I'm at work right now - will finish tonight) but I'm thinking that I'll stick with painting. That vinyl wrap does look like an ordeal. With the painting I don't even have to take the shells off the wheel. 

Thanks for watching. You got half way....:facepalm:  ..... you must like to watch grass grow. :) Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson from me .....stick with paint! :cheers:

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks for watching. You got half way....:facepalm:  ..... you must like to watch grass grow. :) Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson from me .....stick with paint! :cheers:

Well let me put it this way....

Some are skilled wrappers...

...others,are skilled painters....

...then some are like me, a sealion on land with flippers that do either...no skilled applied and the end result could perform as a clown in a circus.

Now I think I saw a teaser of differed mods for colour schemes on the KS16X...and that is exciting news to me. 

I am now a big fan of black, as it is no life to it. But having colour schemes I think that is cool to have a more personal item. All respect to good old Mr. Henry F. but not all love black...

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 10:02 AM, Rehab1 said:

I recorded a video of me applying the vinyl wrap to one of my Mten3 shells. Each shell took me about 40 minutes. Fast forward as some video is repetitive. I tried to capture the highlights such as heating and smoothing the vinyl. Heating and contouring around the rounded corners of the shell took some time.

The pedals, plastic trim and the shells are now ready to assemble. I ordered some silver colored leather to upholster the 4 side pads. I tried using a blue suede leather earlier but the color was too far off.

I enjoyed seeing this process and I did learn something - stick with painting :lol:

It was interesting. I've never seen the process of wrapping anything, let alone a wheel. Thanks for the video :cheers:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I enjoyed seeing this process and I did learn something - stick with painting :lol:

It was interesting. I've never seen the process of wrapping anything, let alone a wheel. Thanks for the video :cheers:

Glad you liked it. Did you have a beer and popcorn?:popcorn:

I’m actually going to rewrap the wheel in camouflage. The blue did not pop like I had envisioned. Don’t worry... no more wrap videos. 

• Like 1