QUICK i think i blew a mosfet ._.

4 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Even given all the little issues I’ve had with the used ACM I bought ...i think in the end I still love GW wheels. The 18L may be the game changer for the 18” category but that’s only one wheel . KS will still not be competing with GW in any other wheel size . But 18L isn’t here yet. They make damn good wheels over all and if someone is looking for something that requires pretty much no maintenance then I suppose they know what to buy (KS). But just like you , I’ll take performance over annoying safety features any day . Even if it means I need to do a bit of work here and there to keep it in optimal condition . Plus I really enjoy learning to do the work. 

Spoken like a true Gotway fan :cheers:

BTW, the 18L will only be a ~1000wh wheel which pretty much precludes me from buying one. An 18-inch wheel really screams "cruising", and ~1000wh does not make a cruising wheel, IMHO. But there are lots of people out there that consider a 15-mile ride long, so there's certainly a market for it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Nope . No clue . Looks good though. ?

i know a few guys with 3000+k on their KS wheels that have never so much as needed to change a tube ....just saying . ?

changing tube isnt a problem with the wheel its if you inflate it correctly and depends what you ride on. if you go on trils with sharp stones. then it wont hold that long..

:laughbounce2:

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Spoken like a true Gotway fan :cheers:

BTW, the 18L will only be a ~1000wh wheel which pretty much precludes me from buying one. An 18-inch wheel really screams "cruising", and ~1000wh does not make a cruising wheel, IMHO. But there are lots of people out there that consider a 15-mile ride long, so there's certainly a market for it.

Agreed, though they do have high hopes for it , quoting 105km range . I just doubt it will come anywhere near that. I think. Y main issue with it is the expected price. ~1700 is what I've been hearing, and for such a small battery that seems high to me.

Yep, thanks to you I caught that gw flu that's been going around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scott Henley said:

Agreed, though they do have high hopes for it , quoting 105km range . I just doubt it will come anywhere near that. I think. Y main issue with it is the expected price. ~1700 is what I've been hearing, and for such a small battery that seems high to me.

They always quote ridiculous ranges. I think it's for your average 130-pound Chinese guy or gal.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

i also thought 105 km range? with a battery thats 20w smaller than mine? and i get around 60km...

yeah right kingsong... i mean maybe you could get over 100km on one charge if you strapped a newborn child on it?

Edited by Shad0z
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Gotway makes crappy wheels for sure, but they are the fastest, longest range crappy wheels that you can get :D Choose your poison and be happy with what you ride. I prefer powerful 50-mile wheels. I can deal with the periodic maintenance.

Others prefer slow and safe. It's very personal and neither is better. As long as you are happy, that's what matters.

I’m all good for maintaining something, I’ve cycled for years... It’s the idea of suddenly going down whilst riding amongst NYC traffic that bothers me. I chose a Gotway for its power, speed and range, and I hoped that my Tesla would be from a newer batch created with the failings of previous batches in mind.

@Marty Backe you seem pretty clued up on Gotway... Has anyone changed any components on the board to make them more resilient yet? I’m no electrical engineer but I can solder components on the right way!

Edited by Roo Williams
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

I’m all good for maintaining something, I’ve cycled for years... It’s the idea of suddenly going down whilst riding amongst NYC traffic that bothers me. I chose a Gotway for its power, speed and range, and I hoped that my Tesla would be from a newer batch created with the failings of previous batches in mind.

@Marty Backe you seem pretty clued up on Gotway... Has anyone changed any components on the board to make them more resilient yet? I’m no electrical engineer but I can solder components on the right way!

you could seperate the wires as much as possible from each and other components.

Just now, Charles McLean said:

Hahahaha ... that literally made me laugh out loud ... good one ...

and to add even more to it

if you ever wanted a ks18L to go 100km on a charge

you would need to strap a so little child on it that the tiltback (which you Can't disable) 

would throw the child 105 km backwards.

ahh it all makes sense now :clap3:

We were all so blind! :facepalm:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's human nature. We hear and complain about the problems but not about all the days that go by without a problem. I don't make a weekly posts saying, "hey guys, my ACM continues to work great". But we mustn't forget that we are riding around on a one wheel device that is inherently risky. It's a contact sport.

That's my two-cents, maybe worth two-cents :blink1:

that was just the sentence i needed! im was thinking about the same thing but you finally put some words on it!

"Alarming issues with Gotway unicycles... now with Tesla | Articles" 

saids one article and to prove the tesla is unreliable they use one video of a guy with a smoking tesla...

but never mention the hundreds and hundreds of teslas that work and have for thousands of kilometers...

but again at the buttom they end the article with this.

"Basing on their intuition, they are looking for the best product specifications, not being aware of the fact that they will not exceed the speed of 25-30 km/h"

and this

"If you consider it as important to receive even a better performance and quality at the same time, check KS-14S and KS-16S. We are the only ones having a great and direct contact with manufacturers. buy kingsong and inmotion wheels at our store"

Edited by Shad0z
  • Like 1

Just now, kasenutty said:

Marty loves that article. 

well. its true... not only for gotway wheels

look at the kingsong forums... and then i see this: "KS16S overvoltage and vibrations?"

7 hours ago, Shad0z said:

you could seperate the wires as much as possible from each and other components.

Yep. That’s the plan If I keep this pcb . And even if I don’t actually . The main thing here is keeping the wires off the mosfets . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Gotway makes crappy wheels for sure, but they are the fastest, longest range crappy wheels that you can get :D Choose your poison and be happy with what you ride. I prefer powerful 50-mile wheels. I can deal with the periodic maintenance.

I don't think periodic maintenance would have prevented a MOSFET blowout. I mean, it's a controller attached to an electric motor. Electric motors of these sorts are generally maintenance free. No oil to change, bearings to grease....maybe tighten down on the axle, that's about the extent of the maintenance one can do on these one-wheels.

If I could get Kingsong levels of reliability by doing periodic maintenance on a Gotway, I would have more than likely gone with the Tesla. I'm just now able to walk with a normal gait 5 weeks after my injury falling of the wheel. This is the longest I've ever taken to recover from an injury and the only time in my life I've been without mobility. It sucked bad. Gave me a new perspective on safety and made me realize how much it absolutely sucks being injured. You don't appreciate your health until it's gone. Gotway needs to step up their game.

Those failure statistics that @EcoDrift posted about Gotway failures was insane, especially considering the potential ramifications if the wheel fails at speed.

I enjoy this hobby; it's really fun. I really missed going out for rides these past 5 weeks. However, it's only a matter of time before someone kills themselves on a wheel due to a wheel failure (can't do anything about accidents). We all saw what happened to the hoverboard due to it having bad batteries and catching on fire. Last thing I need is for these wheels to get regulated or worse, banned.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gr8ps said:

I don't think periodic maintenance would have prevented a MOSFET blowout. I mean, it's a controller attached to an electric motor. Electric motors of these sorts are generally maintenance free. No oil to change, bearings to grease....maybe tighten down on the axle, that's about the extent of the maintenance one can do on these one-wheels.

If I could get Kingsong levels of reliability by doing periodic maintenance on a Gotway, I would have more than likely gone with the Tesla. I'm just now able to walk with a normal gait 5 weeks after my injury falling of the wheel. This is the longest I've ever taken to recover from an injury and the only time in my life I've been without mobility. It sucked bad. Gave me a new perspective on safety and made me realize how much it absolutely sucks being injured. You don't appreciate your health until it's gone. Gotway needs to step up their game.

Those failure statistics that @EcoDrift posted about Gotway failures was insane, especially considering the potential ramifications if the wheel fails at speed.

I enjoy this hobby; it's really fun. I really missed going out for rides these past 5 weeks. However, it's only a matter of time before someone kills themselves on a wheel due to a wheel failure (can't do anything about accidents). We all saw what happened to the hoverboard due to it having bad batteries and catching on fire. Last thing I need is for these wheels to get regulated or worse, banned.

if your gotway wheel works after riding it shortly after you got it youre good

and the reason kingsong wheels dont experience that many fails is its not even possible to disable enough safety features to even get close to the power output that would overload something.

well i could also limit my gw tesla 30 kph...

then it would be even safer beccause it has more safety headroom 

most gotway users buy them for one reason: you can live life riskier and get more speed. but most people usually turn off tiltback and only alarm is 3rd alarm 

and that is where accidents happen while kingsong straps you down and gives you no choice to live risky

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've owned eight Gotway wheels over the last 1-1/2 years. Only one cut-out on me while riding and that was due to a firmware issue that Gotway had for a few months in early 2017. It occurred very early (few miles) of owning the wheel. Every wheel that I've owned and ridden (including KingSong) has never failed me while cruising. Yes, I've had a few issues during strenuous conditions which result in very slow speed cut-outs.

Marty, i respect you totally, you know that...so please dont take that as an offense.....

But when reporting your Gotway experience, you are like the typical „i defend my wheel“ guy :-)

Some things you mention very seldom:

(just remember it from other threads)

Yes, just one Gotway cut out on you because of firmware issues(which btw was promised by GW „as fixed“)

One other one sent you down because of melting wires/connectors

Another one cut out due to battery design failure, nickel strips on all Mten3 are to weak and melt, fortunatly when standing still, but could be worse, or?

Congrats, the monster only needed the axle nuts re-fixed several times.

Aah, and 2 of the wheels you sold, failed shortly after the sale on the next owner!

By all means, yes, one wheel driving is a dangerous sport, it still stays, even when all is working good, there is still ALLways the possiblity of a tire failure, battery failure, a big hole on the way...somethings that are just „wear down“ and are on every wheel or ly in the type of this sport!

But what really nobody needs are failures and getting the probability of a injury or failure because of poor quality.....

So sometimes i dont get it...Gotway is not really defendable on what they produce!

Hey, i also like driving some of their stuff and buy and own it,  but to be honest: They are just crap qualitywise......

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

But thats no reason to build in crappy parts into the wheel and let the buyers be the beta testers! Thats what we are...their beta testers!

I know, you are just 15 and feel immortal, just like me in that age....but i promise: We are all not, a failure like yours while riding 50kmh??? Or just falling wrong with the head? than perhaps there is the need to get 2 wheeled again, you know, the nice ones, which work by handcraft on the wheel.......

And that just because a 10cent more expensive Mosfet does not fit on their -by a 3rd party produced- board?

gotway qc and quality definetly needs some improvement. But a tesla was just the right choice for me anything else let me down by something that i couldt stand. kingsong tiltback..  more like throw back from my experience i tried 3 Kingsong wheels and the tiltback almost throw you off. See there i think the gotway has more smooth tiltback  but mostly i agree with you but what i said before is still not nonsense

and no im not your typical 15 year old teenager you would imagine. and i definetly dont feel imortal

heck i feel the opposite i sit every day 2 min before every ride even if its very short to take on full safety gear 

i think the trith lies somwhere between what you said and what i said and both opinions in themselves being too biased to one side

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

So sometimes i dont get it...Gotway is not really defendable on what they produce!

Hey, i also like driving some of their stuff and buy and own it,  but to be honest: They are just crap.......

their quality when it works is nice but their QC sucks and then you can end up getting lower quality 

but i really think the acm2 and the tesla have dixed a lot of problems no melting wires! 

the only problems as of now is well... Mosfet failiures

they just need better mosfets. But if you treat your wheel well and set on tiltback at lower speeds.. And oh dont ride your monster beside marty up a hill :D 

but back to the point when they deliver and no issues. oustanding. And the tesla riding mode. Man the ks18S is not even comparable imo

but its apples and oranges. And some will like the ks18 more

but for me its gotway. And their improving incrementally so lets hope they speed up and it keeps going that way 

5 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

gotway qc and quality definetly needs some improvement. But a tesla was just the right choice for me anything else let me down by something that i couldt stand. kingsong tiltback..  more like throw back from my experience i tried 3 Kingsong wheels and the tiltback almost throw you off. See there i think the gotway has more smooth tiltback  but mostly i agree with you but what i said before is still not nonsense

If you simply look at both brands ...stripped down, it’s obvious that KS put a lot more care into the way they design their internals . Not to mention KS make their pcb in house while GW outsources this very important piece of kit . 

Mad far as tilt back , I own both GW and  KS( I ride them equally taking turns riding a different wheel to work everyday )and to me the difference between the two is tiny . KS tilt back isn’t going to throw anyone off their wheel . So that’s just a silly statement . 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

What's faster? A Kingsong 16s or a Tesla with a blown mosfet? 

The chance of me blowing a mosfet was about .001%

dont let that be the example for gw teslas

and yes if i went on mountain trails and went full speed on extreme hills then that chance would change.. But i dont do that. Elektric components are mass produced. And a single mosfet failure because it was a weak mosfet or wrong time wrong place. It can happen

the chance of blowing a mosfet at 20kph is not non existent. Its just very low. And some people have to ve in that very low category