QUICK i think i blew a mosfet ._.

ok i was riding my tesla peacefully. Then it said like a click sound and fell to the ground. wheel hard to move. Wont shut off...   ._.  I already have an idea of what happened..

mosfet....  But when i dragged it indors i hear even more clicking noises.. Yikes..

and smoke :crying:

so what should i do disconnect the batteries?

14 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Definitly Mosfet blow...as it is a GW nothing real new, or?

Yeah, disconnect the batterys, especially when it will not shut off!!!! The smoke might be from the burned Mosfet/board, but further damage might happen.....

Open the side and disconnect the Main XT60 connector from the board!

And now unfortunatly you can start saving Money for a new board....And dont say you havent been warned ;-)

Imagine this mosfet blow when driving at a high Speed? Thats why a reliable wheel is important....

yeah my own choice my own fault :mellow:

and i think i was unlucky and got one of the worse boards (there is always small difference from board to board)

but i will contact seller and see what he saids...

• Like 1

Just now, Shad0z said:

yeah my own choice my own fault :mellow:

and i think i was unlucky and got one of the worse boards (there is always small difference from board to board)

but i will contact seller and see what he saids...

How many miles do you have under the belt?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

How many miles do you have under the belt?

1000km i dont know how many miles

1 minute ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

And, what speed did you go?

25kph

Edited by Shad0z

6 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

1000km i dont know how many miles

Thats much...

My opinion was always, that once you have a certain miles/km on your GW, lets say 300-400km, your board is OK and you are Kind of safe!

You did not see that often to blow a board out of the blue like here. Normally it is something like wheel blocked, or to steep hill or to high Speed.

Seams i must Change my opinion....GW board Quality is -unfortunatly- still just crap.

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Thats much...

My opinion was always, that once you have a certain miles/km on your GW, lets say 300-400km, your board is OK and you are Kind of safe!

You did not see that often to blow a board out of the blue like here. Normally it is something like wheel blocked, or to steep hill or to high Speed.

Seams i must Change my opinion....GW board Quality is -unfortunatly- still just crap.

yeah... i mean mosfets are cheap! Dirt cheap! I wonder why they didnt add any huge sized mosfets and 12 i stead of 6 normal mosfets??

3 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

yeah... i mean mosfets are cheap! Dirt cheap! I wonder why they didnt add any huge sized mosfets and 12 i stead of 6 normal mosfets??

The Tesla has 12 MOSFETs.

Really disturbing that your board blew a MOSFET out of nowhere, especially after you've ridden it for so long without issues.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

They have 12 Mosfets! And that IS a bad design choice....More Mosfets means probably the Chance that one will fail is higher.

Best way would be to get a real good -high rated- Mosfet and only use 6 of them.

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Flow said:

The Tesla has 12 MOSFETs.

Really disturbing that your board blew a MOSFET out of nowhere, especially after you've ridden it for so long without issues.

yeah.. but i have inspected rhe board before.. Only six none un the botton or anywhere. Not even space anywhere for other mosfets hmm :huh:

i opened it and im met with fans full power and smell of burnt plastic..

1 minute ago, Shad0z said:

yeah.. but i have inspected rhe board before.. Only six none un the botton or anywhere. Not even space anywhere for other mosfets hmm :huh:

Believe me! You have 12....6 on top and 6 down under...

AND DISCONNECT the battery!

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

You certainly have 12. The other 6 are directly below the 6 you see . Good news is a board isn’t all that expensive....bad news is this is your only wheel (?) ...so you just have to sit tight and wait . ?

• Like 2

Oh dear! Feeling sorry for you:efee8c29ce:

That really shouldn't have happened, either something's wrong right at the start, or the wheel should work. But after 1000 perfectly fine km?

Luckily you're ok. Can you describe the cut-out, how you fell, how fast you fell, could you react, etc? Motor cutout while riding is EUC horror , worst kind of crash!

Your dealer will maybe replace the board under warranty.

Disconnect the battery (the plug into the board, I would definitely keep all cables interconnecting the battery packs, just the one plug going to the red+black board cables) and then put the wheel upright and switch it on (it will balance for a second before all electricity is drained from the capacitors, so you don't get shocked when touching the board).

Once the new board is in, I would turn the tire a few times so maybe it re-charges the capacitors (not sure if that works) to reduce the danger of sparks when reconnecting the battery packs to the board.

• Like 2

It sounds really odd that you would burn up a mosfet if your wheel was not under a real heavy load and at a high board temp.I have blown 2 boards by frying mosfets(ACM and Monster) and both times involved ascending steep hills and pushing the board temp near the 79C max.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Oh dear! Feeling sorry for you:efee8c29ce:

That really shouldn't have happened, either something's wrong right at the start, or the wheel should work. But after 1000 perfectly fine km?

Luckily you're ok. Can you describe the cut-out, how you fell, how fast you fell, could you react, etc? Motor cutout while riding is EUC horror , worst kind of crash!

Your dealer will maybe replace the board under warranty.

Disconnect the battery (the plug into the board, I would definitely keep all cables interconnecting the battery packs, just the one plug going to the red+black board cables) and then put the wheel upright and switch it on (it will balance for a second before all electricity is drained from the capacitors, so you don't get shocked when touching the board).

Once the new board is in, I would turn the tire a few times so maybe it re-charges the capacitors (not sure if that works) to reduce the danger of sparks when reconnecting the battery packs to the board.

WP_20180306_13_16_20_Rich_LI

this is how to control board looks 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

It sounds really odd that you would burn up a mosfet if your wheel was not under a real heavy load and at a high board temp.I have blown 2 boards by frying mosfets(ACM and Monster) and both times involved ascending steep hills and pushing the board temp near the 79C max.

i was braking slightly then i happened. i was not like leaning back full power or anything ?_?  i was just leaning a little bit back then i braked and fell

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

:crying:

it was cold outside and i just got on it so its not like it was geting hot in the tesla

but apparently something blew the mosfet and there i sonly one thing that can do that... too much current or a weak mosfet

Just now, KingSong69 said:

Thank God GW is now using this new better Mosfet type HY3712! :whistling: At least these were able to hold on for 1000km!!!

(Sorry, a Little sarcasm for having fun......in reality it is really sad that we trust our lives to such a poor technologie)

i dont mind a little fun :D 

good to see other people having some humor too in these situations :D 

we russians are usually called out for making jokes and using dark humor when something sad and terrible happens

while were actually just getting the best out of the situation and forgetting the truth.. 

we usually tell westerners back: no matter how much you grieve nothing will change

• Like 2

@Shad0z

Just one thought: Would you please check if any of the Motor connectors or another part of the cable/wires Looks damaged???

This mosfet Looks so heavily damaged, like something melted onto the top....i remember from my Tesla that the Motor connectors where laying -very stupid- over the board...

So perhaps something else and not the mosfet itself is the cuplrit of the damage....

• Like 1