MCM5 in the Wild!

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

At :39, the caption appears to say that the handle has a motor cut off button like Inmotion.  It's in French, though, and closed captioning didn't work. 

Yup! First Gotway with the handle motor disengage, let's hope this is now standard!

27331778_1430358470427261_90258349087868

48 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:
  • Did Gotway just add a speed limiter ala KingSong? It says 25km/h for 200km, then 40km/h.

Early Gotway specs say lift test speed is 55km/h, so maybe the French shops are being conservative, 15km/h under the no load max....

27459808_1430358570427251_30651158893401

48 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:
  • Those pedals are LOW.

Agreed. Another reason why this is a hard pass for me. My wallet thanks Gotway.

At :27 it says something about ventilation, I'm guessing that those are actually vents to let air pass through the wheel front to back.  Being vertical, and probably having some water barrier, rain would not get in.

The 200 km unlock to the higher speed is similar to Kingsong 18S.image.thumb.png.ef3cd1f8870a87ed985ec3e493b77d6b.png

5 minutes ago, steve454 said:

At :27 it says something about ventilation, I'm guessing that those are actually vents to let air pass through the wheel front to back.  Being vertical, and probably having some water barrier, rain would not get in.

Per Google Translate:

• maneuverability of the wheel 14 inches
  • compact and transportable wheel
  • integrated fan for cooling the card
  • powerful headlight

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

At :39, the caption appears to say that the handle has a motor cut off button like Inmotion.  It's in French, though, and closed captioning didn't work.  1500 watt motor is great.

Per Google Translate:

• motor cutter anti runaway by pressure sensor

9 minutes ago, steve454 said:

The 200 km unlock to the higher speed is similar to Kingsong 18S.

But KS does 40kph max speed before the unlock for the 18's. 25kph max for the first 200km ridden is waaaay too slow, really hope Gotway ups the initial max for future wheels if they intend to implement this limit function across their whole line

14 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

KS does 40kph max speed before the unlock for the 18's. 25kph max for the first 200km ridden is waaaay too slow, really hope Gotway ups the initial max for future wheels if they intend to implement this limit function across their whole line

Too slow for skilled riders, but I doubt that Gotway will limit their whole line.  Pretty good specs other than the speed.  I wonder what the price will be, I'm guessing around $1K.

• 2 weeks later...

Translated from French:

The MCM5 gotway was present at the March 11 hike and I'm a little surprised that no one shares his impressions. In any case here are mine

• To begin, you need to know a little about my profile. I am mostly used to 16-inch and 18-inch wheels. In general, I find the 14 inches a little too fofolles. However I liked the KS-14C and to take a newer model I liked the KS-14S. There is something that I like about the behavior of the MCM4 Gotway. But I much prefer the 16 inches and 18 inches. I prefer power for safety, control of the wheel while driving, stability, basic comfort.
  • First impression: "Ouch the malleoluses hit the hull and it hurts". This also depends on the morphology of each. I am not necessarily spoiled on this point. I put my feet a little outside the pedals and it's ok.Fortunately, the pedals are wide.
  • Surprise the wrist hole does not cross the wheel from side to side. It's surprising as a choice. In any case it surprised me. In practice you have to lift the wheel with your right hand .... And then thinking, I thought there was nothing blocking left-handed. If you want to carry the wheel with your left hand just put the rear part of the wheel forward and you can hold it with your left hand. That said, the fact that the hole does not go through, I do not know if it's very comfortable all that.
  • I note in passing that the hull is quite hard. It may seem a little poor but at the same time it seems solid.Obviously, I did not have fun dropping the wheel so I do not know how it resists shocks. And I do not care a bit about that aspect.
  • Then the wheel is completely at the ankle. She is very thin and it is a little difficult to tighten with the calves.
  • I am used to riding with wheels a bit wide and / or rather high. In any case, I used to touch the hull of the wheel with my calves suddenly it disturbs me a little ...
  • I ride with and obviously, it's a very handy wheel. It's normal because it's a 14 inch. I prefer to get used to a bit on the sidewalk before going further because I find it pretty crazy because I'm not used to 14 inches.
  • After 3 minutes I start to cross the road. All is well, I'm getting used to it and the wheel is doing very well.
  • I arrive at a fairly open place where I can try to go fast. Note that the battery is about 50%. I drive fast in a straight line without thinking too much and the wheel beeps at 36 km / h (I do not know how it is set).During the acceleration, there is nothing that disturbs me. These are sensations that I'm used to .... and I realize that I'm on a 14 inches ... So, I think that stability is very interesting. The acceleration is nice. At the end of the straight line I brake hard and there the wheel drives a lot. I repeated this experience several times and it always gave the same result. As I'm not used to just riding with the ankles I think I do not know how to balance my braking. You have to see how other wheelers manage braking.
  • Then I do slaloms, tight turns, etc ... Everything is easy ... Well yes, it's a 14 inches.
  • And then I'm doing a little bit of reverse. I am surprised at first because it is low and still for the same reason I can not use my calves so I have to adapt a little. I feel a little awkward because I'm not used to it but I can do a good reverse. Turns are much easier on a tesla or a msuper3. Well yes, I repeat it's a 14 inches.
  • The discomfort begins to rise seriously. My feet are quite fragile on a wheel and the fact of having contact with the sole of the foot is very bad for me. I have very bad feet. But I continue my essay.
  • I take a little pavement then I do a little crossing. The wheel is doing very well against I am not lucky with my feet because the shocks coming from under the feet hurt me very much. Everyone does not have that kind of problem, but for me it's blocking. It's too painful.
  • The fact that there is no side foam does not pose any problem on the fact that it does not hurt the shins at all. It bothers me because I like having this contact with the shins / calves. In addition, having support at this level helps relieve my foot pain it seems to me. Personally, I'll put something like ACM foam on this wheel. In addition, it will push me naturally to put the feet a little more outside perhaps suddenly my malleoluses will no longer touch the shell ...

In summary: I like the stability, the acceleration, the speed, the integrated trolley but I have problems of basic comfort especially concerning the pains of the flat of the feet and this is blocking for me because it causes physical pains unbearable. If one day someone wants to put ACM pads on the MCM5 I would like to test because for now I am very frustrated.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/4473-gotway-mcm-5/&prev=search

38 minutes ago, koto said:

I am the author of the original text :D

Ha! Congrats on getting to ride the MCM5. Looks like they are selling it for $1700 US in France. Yikes!

An MCM4 with the same battery goes for $650 US

3 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Ha! Congrats on getting to ride the MCM5. Looks like they are selling it for $1700 US in France. Yikes!

European crazy Prices.....

Gotway sold it for 680$ on the crowdfunding(incl. Transport!) and announced it will cost 1050$ later(or something similar).

Typical France/european Price jump....

Archived