Ks14c with bent/dented rim... Bend it back? Get new one?

that0n3guy

I found a used ks14c with a bent rim (see attached screenshot), I'm thinking of buying it until the z10 comes out to learn on and loan out.

Jason at ewheels says the motor changed on those so I'd have to get a new controller as well as wheel if I bought new.

What does everyone here think? Can I bend it back and just ride it?  Limit speed to <15 mph or something?

Screenshot_20180303-205512~2.png

It's definitely worth it... At the right price! 

If you're handy enough to straighten it, and that gives you a "learner wheel" to trash develop your skills on, then sure. 

But are you confident that you can repair it, and is the price right for what you're getting? 

10 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

What does everyone here think? Can I bend it back and just ride it?  Limit speed to <15 mph or something?

It can be bent straight again. Once I get back a  KS14C motor/ rim next week ( having the axle removed for @Smoother) I will intentionally put a dent in the rim to show you how to accomplish straightening it without affecting the motor’s magnets.

This appears to only be a bent tire flange, a very simple repair that can be done without even removing the tire.My original 18A had a similiar impact with a rock and I fixed it by evacuating the air and using my trusty vice grip clones from Harbor Freight.Piece of cake.:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

It can be bent straight again. Once I get back a  KS14C motor/ rim next week ( having the axle removed for @Smoother) I will intentionally put a dent in the rim to show you how to accomplish straightening it without affecting the motor’s magnets.

NO,NO,NO Don't do that.  That rim and tire is a 100% reusable part.  Sell it to him.(EDIT You don't He doesnt ) even have to remove the motor wires, just remove the opposite motor shell and wrestle the rim off.  And I do mean Wrestle.  The magnetic attraction is fricking awesome, and potentially painful (ask me how I know)

30 minutes ago, Smoother said:

NO,NO,NO Don't do that.  That rim and tire is a 100% reusable part.  Sell it to him. You don't even have to remove the motor wires, just remove the opposite motor shell and wrestle the rim off.  And I do mean Wrestle.  The magnet attraction is fricking awesome, and potentially painful (ask me how I know)

How do you know?

I would try @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"‘s approach first. It sounds much simpler than tearing your wheel apart. I just worry about metal fatigue. If I put a significant bend in an aluminum bar it breaks instantly. When I apply a small amount of heat first I can easily contour the bar to my discretion. 

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

How do you know?

How do I know what? it's reusable? or it's easy to remove?

It's reusable because there's nothing on it that a short swim in the lake will damage.  Although, removing the tire to clean out any lake funk that might be growing in there, might be a good idea.

It's easy to replace because I've done it. My rim and stator are currently in different rooms.

7 minutes ago, Smoother said:

It's reusable because there's nothing on it that a short swim in the lake will damage.  Although, removing the tire to clean out any lake funk that might be growing in there, might be a good idea.

It's easy to replace because I've done it. My rim and stator are currently in different rooms.

I don't know, that must have been a saltwater lake.  But look how beefy that axle is!

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

That rim looks better than mine.  The lake did it no damage at all

After looking again you are right.  I guess I saw all the corrosion on the motor covers and windings and didn't realize you were only talking about the rim and tire.:facepalm:  Yeah, that rim looks good.

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

No... Pay attention @Smoother. You said;

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

NO,NO,NO Don't do that.  That rim and tire is a 100% reusable part.  Sell it to him.(EDIT You don't He doesnt ) even have to remove the motor wires, just remove the opposite motor shell and wrestle the rim off.  And I do mean Wrestle.  The magnetic attraction is fricking awesome, and potentially painful (ask me how I know)

And I asked... Then you went off on some British tangent.

So I'll try again:

How do you know that magnet attraction is fricking awesome, and potentially painful? 

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

No... Pay attention @Smoother. You said;

And I asked... Then you went off on some British tangent.

So I'll try again:

How do you know that magnet attraction is fricking awesome, and potentially painful? 

Oh, I see!! right, right, right.  Invite a question and then not understand the question. :facepalm:

Well, to answer your question correctly this time.  Once I had the stator mostly out of the rotor, I made the mistake of curling my fingers around the outside of the stator.  It was just then that a momentary lapse in something, on my part, caused the attraction of the two magnetic devices to succeed in attracting each other.  I've never caught my hand in a bear trap, but I imagine that is what it feels like.  To say I'm not looking forward to mating these two monsters is an understatement.  I'll be wearing thick gloves this time.;)

On 3/4/2018 at 6:08 PM, Smoother said:

Just to share with the other members the axle is perfect. No signs of rust. The company that removed the axle struggled at first to extract it from the rim. Mind you the company I used repairs heavy commerical equipment such as bulldozers, backhoes, etc. 

26853710188_fa88bdb09d_b.jpg

7 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

I got the 14c today, spent 30 min or so messing on it, only ate it once hard :).  

@Rehab1 you think visegrips or large monkey wrench to pry it back is the best way to go to straighten this out?

Vice grips would work but I don’t like the deep impressions they leave especially in aluminum. Are you removing the tire?

If you go that route find some leather to cover the grips. Not every member has a collection of leather products like  @Hunka Hunka Burning Love but you can cut up an old belt to protect the surface.

If you removed the tire I would apply some heat (2 seconds max) using a propane torch with the flame facing away from the motor. I bent and twisted 1/4” aluminum bar stock yesterday beyond 90 degrees and because I applied heat  first there were no fractures.

If your worried about applying to much heat ask your GF or wife to place their finger on the motor across from dent. If they scream during process simply reduce the heat. :laughbounce2:

I did it via brute force.   I didn't do heat b/c I have no idea where my torch is (it's packed still, I just moved) and because the rim was already cracked inside.

Attached is what it looks like now with the tools I used.   When you do it you have to be careful not to push inward on the inside of the rim (that's hard to avoid).   Doing so will crack the rim more.

The inside of the rim is sharp where it cracked so I put a thin layer of 5 minute epoxy on the crack and divot (attached pic#2).b this epoxy won't help with anything but protect the tube from sharp edges I think.   

MVIMG_20180310_092713-1612x1209.jpg

IMG_20180310_094111-1612x1209.jpg

Archived