Best Description "It's like…"

davek

People stop and stare, kids giggle, and teens exclaim "That's sick!"
Some people just ask why?
I always tell them 'It's like.. skiing', and 'Yes, it goes uphill too'

What do you tell them?

Any funny or interesting stories to share?
I once came face-to-face with the entire high school track team out for a run.
As the 100+ kids ran by, there were hoots of approval though the Coaches just looked annoyed.

I tell them" I'm allergic to walking."

If they say "that's cheating" I say, "show me the rule book" Or "walking is so last century"

If they say "you're not getting any exercise" I say "I run 10k every week, I don't need any more exercise.  (it's a lie, but they don't know that, and last time I checked, I don't owe any gobby, opinionated strangers the truth)

If they ask what is it? I sometimes say "Modified George Forman Grill", Or "one-wheeled Segway, I couldn't afford two wheels" Or "electric bike, I lost the rest of it, have you seen it?"

But sometimes I explain what it is, and answer questions, but not what it cost.  Might as well tell them how much cash I have in my wallet (which is none usually :( )

19 minutes ago, Smoother said:

they ask what is it? I sometimes say "Modified George Forman Grill", Or "one-wheeled Segway, I couldn't afford two wheels" Or "electric bike, I lost the rest of it, have you seen it?"

? Funny! I just pulled a Smoother. Out of reps! @Marty Backe we need a timer when reps become available again. I bet moderators never run out of reps. ;)

42 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

38781515370_e65f0700a1_b.jpg

Really!  "Hanging by your finger tips from the cowl of an ear splitting  commercial jet engine, flying 30,000 feet in the air, without a helmet, or parachute, but WITH a handbag, and nice hair"??? I'm not sure you thought this through.  And besides, how do you get that mouthful out while whizzing by at 20 mph.? Survey says : eh ehhhh  :facepalm:

34 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Really!  "Hanging by your finger tips from the cowl of an ear splitting  commercial jet engine, flying 30,000 feet in the air, without a helmet, or parachute, but WITH a handbag, and nice hair"??? I'm not sure you thought this through.  And besides, how do you get that mouthful out while whizzing by at 20 mph.? Survey says : eh ehhhh  :facepalm:

The thrill of flying with the ominous threat always hanging in the balance. As for the ear splitting high decibel level that would be my wife. ;) SOOR ( still out of reps)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

The thrill of flying with the ominous threat always hanging in the balance. As for the ear splitting high decibel level that would be my wife. ;) SOOR ( still out of reps)

Excellent.  I like your interpretation much better

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Excellent.  I like your interpretation much better

:thumbup:

I know this is the wrong venue but do you know how the reps are tallied? Was your response similar? It use to say ‘out of reps’. Now it refers to the entire day. Hey @Marty Backe...are you out there? ?

40595235201_0fa2503652_b.jpg

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I know this is the wrong venue but do you know how the reps are tallied? Was your response similar? It use to say ‘out of reps’. Now it refers to the entire day. Hey @Marty Backe...are you out there? ?

Yaay, you got reloaded on reps!  Hey, your phone battery is about to go dead.;)

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Yaay, you got reloaded on reps!  Hey, your phone battery is about to go dead.;)

I just gave you one in another topic. Yep out again. It must replemish as the hours change. Best anyway. My wife is really pissed. I had her measure the width my shoulders for pads. She then realized I was serious about riding again. 

Just now, Rehab1 said:

I just gave you one in another topic. Yep out again. It must replemish as the hours change. 

Yes, I remember now someone saying that it happened to him, (it happened to me once also) that he would be out, then only able to give one or two or a few for awhile, then get fully reloaded later.  I don't think anyone ever figured out what the time schedule is, or why it sometimes seems to randomly start and stop.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I just gave you one in another topic. Yep out again. It must replemish as the hours change. Best anyway. My wife is really pissed. I had her measure the width my shoulders for pads. She then realized I was serious about riding again. 

:facepalm: 

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I've complained about running out of reps in the past. Such is life.

From casual observation, I believe the reps are counted on a rolling basis (maybe every hour). What does that mean? When you give a rep, that rep has a lifespan of 24-hours. So if you used your 40-reps (if that's the limit?) within 1-hour, you would have to wait a full 24-hours before they all expired. But if you hand out reps throughout the day, then you'll continue to get new reps as they expire.

Hope that makes sense.

Mind you, I have know idea how reps were actually implemented, but this is my theory as a software engineer and my observations of how the Forum seems to work.

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've complained about running out of reps in the past. Such is life.

From casual observation, I believe the reps are counted on a rolling basis (maybe every hour). What does that mean? When you give a rep, that rep has a lifespan of 24-hours. So if you used your 40-reps (if that's the limit?) within 1-hour, you would have to wait a full 24-hours before they all expired. But if you hand out reps throughout the day, then you'll continue to get new reps as they expire.

Hope that makes sense.

Mind you, I have know idea how reps were actually implemented, but this is my theory as a software engineer and my observations of how the Forum seems to work.

Thanks Marty! Sorry. I can delete my comments from this topic or if you wish move the short discussion into a more appropriate venue. Let me know. :)

for people who are LEARNING, I like to describe it as like walking a tightrope. Mainly because it's the best way of communicating the idea that the key is constant tiny changes in your weight distribution.

(and NOT, as many I have met presume, influenced by how much you wave your arms ?)

7 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

It’s not “like” anything. It’s pure joy and uninhibited freedom . 

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

You just described my life :rolleyes:

So you've rolled in the snow, just wearing your tight whities?

Archived