Tesla vs. MSuper V3s+ with Tesla Motor

Having already owned a Tesla 1020 Wh, I recently purchased an MSuper V3s+ 1600 Wh with the Tesla Motor because I wanted the 1600 Wh battery for longer rides and the 18-inch diameter wheel for trail riding.

I bought the Tesla from Jason McNeil at EWheels.com (https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-tesla-16-1020wh-1900w-motor/), who always has AWESOME customer service and support.  I bought the MSuper V3S+ with Tesla Engine from Chen at AliExpress.com (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Latest-upgrade-Gotway-Msuper3S-1600WH-84V-Life-150KM-the-maximum-speed-of-55KM-H-the-fastest/32832913078.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.W2jVF1) only because Jason didn’t have that particular model in stock at the time.  My experience with Chen was very good and I received my wheel on the East Coast of the US, about 11 days after ordering it online.  So, that was also a good buying experience.  I bought my wheel from Chen for $1,781 … the price on the website now is $2,380 … so wait for the price to go down, or try to convince Jason to carry it at EWheels.

Truth in advertising, I have not cracked open the case of my MSuper V3s+ to see if the motor is the Tesla motor, but with the ride setting set to “sport” mode on the MSuper V3s+ the pedals are incredibly stiff and it feels like the Tesla with a lot of raw power and responsiveness.

After putting about 300 miles on my Tesla and about 100 miles on the MSuper V3s+, I figured I’d write a review and let folks know my thoughts.

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT

Both wheels are awesome!  If I could only have ONE wheel I’d take the 1600 Wh MSuper V3S+ with Tesla Motor, but that’s primarily for the extended range and versatility of being able to take the wheel on street and trails without issue.

RIDE CHARACTERISTICS

Both wheels ride and handle very differently and the closest analogy I can think of is the difference between my road bike and my mountain bike.  

The Tesla is definitely a road bike.  It handles incredibly well on the streets, with powerful and smooth acceleration and plenty of top end range to power out of situations quickly.  The taller case sits higher on my calf, just below my knees and allows me to grip the wheel more securely and feels more stable when accelerating or braking quickly, or when turning at high speeds.  The Tesla feels more fluid and silky smooth on the street and is my favorite wheel by far on the road, hands down, no contest.

The MSuper V3s+, in my opinion, is like my mountain bike.  It handles fine on the street.  You can travel at a good speed and it has good acceleration, and like the Tesla has plenty of top end range left to power out of situations.  But, I must say that 25 mph on the MSuper V3s+ feels like more work and less stable than 25 mph on the Tesla, where speed is deceptive and you often don’t realize you’re traveling as fast as you actually are.  The case on the MSuper V3s+ is not as tall as the Tesla, so I find that I accelerate a little bit slower because of my inability to control the wheel at a higher angle, and I find that turning at high speeds is significantly more difficult.  Of note, the pedal dip on the MSuper V3s+ during turns is significantly more pronounced than the Tesla, which is probably a function of the different control boards between the two models.  The pedal dip on the MSuper V3s+ is annoying and I much prefer the way the Tesla handles in that regard.  Whereas with the Tesla I can grip the wheel just below the knees and lean my whole body into the turn like you see motorcycle riders do on the track, I can’t do that with the MSuper V3s+ (at least not yet) and that’s with over 100 miles on the wheel.  I can still turn at a decent speed, but the handling characteristics of the MSuper V3s+ are much different than the Tesla.  I’ve also found that I much prefer riding the MSuper V3s+ with the ride setting set to “medium” mode vice “sport” mode, whereas my Tesla stays in “sport” mode.

ON THE TRAILS

On the East Coast where I live we have a lot of wooded single-track trails.  Lots of tree roots and ruts and only small hill climbs with 30 – 45-degree angles for no more than 50 – 150 ft elevations.  Rides are through the woods with no real rocks or significant hills of which to speak.  In both cases, both the Tesla and MSuper V3S+ can handle the trails, but the design of the MSuper V3s+ is so much better on the trails, that I’m never taking my Tesla through the woods again.  The larger diameter wheel of the MSuper V3s+ smooths out bumps and tree roots and the fact that the front and back of the wheel are exposed and not hidden behind a case or plastic mud guard means the wheel can really attack uphill and downhill terrain with ease.  Also, the lower case of the MSuper V3s+ makes it significantly nimbler in closed quarters, despite the larger 18-inch wheel diameter.  I can turn the MSuper V3s+ on a dime at low speeds, but have more difficulty with the Tesla because of the higher case on the Tesla.  As far as performance, with the Tesla engine in the MSuper V3S+, I can fly up hills while accelerating and keep up with mountain bikers on the trails with no issue.  I had more fun hitting the trails on the MSuper V3s+ than I do with my mountain bike!

FINAL THOUGHTS

While both wheels are amazing, the overall versatility of the 1600 Wh MSuper V3s+ with the Telsa motor makes it the clear winner if you’re only going to have one wheel.  But, if you’re the type of person who has a mountain bike and a rode bike because you don’t want to compromise on either experience, then I highly recommend getting the Tesla as your “road wheel” and the MSuper V3s+ as your “mountain wheel” and let them excel within their respective terrains.  You will not be disappointed!

MVIMG_20180219_104723.thumb.jpg.17911af028fef2e8fc9eda022f8c6292.jpgMVIMG_20180219_104349.thumb.jpg.f5a1fc4735e0a2a81e0453896134ff55.jpgMVIMG_20180219_104343.thumb.jpg.06817f8ad6eb66f148e15e53d5b66b06.jpgMVIMG_20180224_133628.thumb.jpg.31f4921fae944e0b3ade0be40f7827b7.jpgMVIMG_20180224_133634.thumb.jpg.22702aed5e21e1c2adeaaee45a358eec.jpg

Very nice write up!

3 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

Of note, the pedal dip on the MSuper V3s+ during turns is significantly more pronounced than the Tesla, which is probably a function of the different control boards between the two models.  The pedal dip on the MSuper V3s+ is annoying and I much prefer the way the Tesla handles in that regard.

Recalibrate! You can get rid of the dipping completely, which implies it isn't a feature in the first place. Recalibrate and make sure you did it correctly (try a crazy angle recalibration for testing) and you have very good chances to ge rid of dipping. Key seems to be, to not tilt or move the wheel sideways (left/right) during recalibration. The dipping may (or may not be, who knows for sure?) caused by holding the wheel "twisted" while it's being calibrated.

Very nice write-up. I'm still not inclined to upgrade my MSuper, but it's nice that the new ones have the Tesla features.

BTW, does your MSuper have the same super-bright LED headlamp as the Tesla? My ACM2 had the LED upgrade.

It's strange that you find the MSuper is easier for tight turns. Totally opposite from my experience. The Tesla is extremely nimble and much easier to turn sharply. Hmmm.

Also, my AMC2 does not have the pedal dip (like my older ACM) that you talk about. Perhaps a calibration is in order.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

. Perhaps a calibration is in order.

Yip...give it a perfect horizontal and vertical calibration...then the pedal dip should be gone!

@Charles McLean thank you for the input, more and more Im leaning towards Tesla, I don't ride trails, mostly sidewalks and road, but I do Love speed...

Im little surprised about your finding that 18" easier to turn than Tesla 16", when I take my sons ACM 16" for  a ride, I agree with @Marty Backe that 16' is  much easier to turn. I almost feel like I can do what ever I want with it.

If im not mistaking eWheels does carry the New/ upgraded Tesla?

3 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Charles McLean thank you for the input, more and more Im leaning towards Tesla, I don't ride trails, mostly sidewalks and road, but I do Love speed...

Im little surprised about your finding that 18" easier to turn than Tesla 16", when I take my sons ACM 16" for  a ride, I agree with @Marty Backe that 16' is  much easier to turn. I almost feel like I can do what ever I want with it.

If im not mistaking eWheels does carry the New/ upgraded Tesla?

@yourtoys7 I got my Tesla from @Jason McNeil at Ewheels.  It is the latest version with the additional vent holes.  I find that the MSuper V3s+ is almost as easy to turn as my KingSong 14D.  The Tesla is very nimble and turns tight, but because of the taller case, I find that the MSuper V3s+ is considerably more maneuverable at slow speed, despite the larger wheel diameter.

7 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Yip...give it a perfect horizontal and vertical calibration...then the pedal dip should be gone!

@KingSong69 @Marty Backe  @meepmeepmayer Thanks, I'll give calibration a try!

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice write-up. I'm still not inclined to upgrade my MSuper, but it's nice that the new ones have the Tesla features.

BTW, does your MSuper have the same super-bright LED headlamp as the Tesla? My ACM2 had the LED upgrade.

It's strange that you find the MSuper is easier for tight turns. Totally opposite from my experience. The Tesla is extremely nimble and much easier to turn sharply. Hmmm.

Also, my AMC2 does not have the pedal dip (like my older ACM) that you talk about. Perhaps a calibration is in order.

@Marty Backe Yep, the headlight is super bright, just like the Tesla.  It's nice.  I have never ridden an ACM2 with the Tesla engine, but I imagine it's probably a sweet ride, and with the 1600 Wh battery, I might have bought that first instead of my Tesla if it was available when I made the purchase.

I find myself continually going back to aliexpress and looking at this wheel. 11 days you say?? I think it’s going to be 5 weeks or so for Ewheels to get these in . And I’m all about supporting them , but damn am I impatient. 

It was overall a pleasant experience buying from them ? Do they offer any kind of warranty? 

5 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

I find myself continually going back to aliexpress and looking at this wheel. 11 days you say?? I think it’s going to be 5 weeks or so for Ewheels to get these in . And I’m all about supporting them , but damn am I impatient. 

It was overall a pleasant experience buying from them ? Do they offer any kind of warranty? 

@Scott Henley I have no complaints about ordering from Chen at AliExpress.  I was really hesitant, but @Marty Backe and @KingSong69 had stated they had ordered stuff from Chen in the past and he was reliable and trustworthy.  Yep, 11 days from the time I ordered until the wheel showed up at my door.  I'm in Virginia.  No warranty that I know of.  I've bought all my other wheels from @Jason McNeil at EWheels and if Jason had carried this one at the time I ordered it, I'd have bought it from him as well.  Personally, I'd wait the 5 weeks and get it from Jason, because you can't beat the service and support he offers.  But, if you can't wait the 5 x weeks, rest assured that ordering from Chen at AliExpress is an option and you have no need to be hesitant.

Below are pics of my unboxing.  The wheel arrived in perfect shape.  No complaints.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20180219103903107_COVER.thumb.jpg.45e0f5c624f13e9310f0ffffbaed888a.jpgMVIMG_20180219_104052.thumb.jpg.cbf98cf9e4fbfa7b7601693edbfa8157.jpgMVIMG_20180219_104112.thumb.jpg.a1a521e938ef70ef951318d3d7aa763e.jpgMVIMG_20180219_104226.thumb.jpg.0610f200d94bb7940c27b965fcc91a61.jpg

3 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

@Scott Henley I have no complaints about ordering from Chen at AliExpress.  I was really hesitant, but @Marty Backe and @KingSong69 had stated they had ordered stuff from Chen in the past and he was reliable and trustworthy.  Yep, 11 days from the time I ordered until the wheel showed up at my door.  I'm in Virginia.  No warranty that I know of.  I've bought all my other wheels from @Jason McNeil at EWheels and if Jason had carried this one at the time I ordered it, I'd have bought it from him as well.  Personally, I'd wait the 5 weeks and get it from Jason, because you can't beat the service and support he offers.  But, if you can't wait the 5 x weeks, rest assured that ordering from Chen at AliExpress is an option and you have no need to be hesitant.

Below are pics of my unboxing.  The wheel arrived in perfect shape.  No complaints.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20180219103903107_COVER.thumb.jpg.45e0f5c624f13e9310f0ffffbaed888a.jpgMVIMG_20180219_104052.thumb.jpg.cbf98cf9e4fbfa7b7601693edbfa8157.jpgMVIMG_20180219_104112.thumb.jpg.a1a521e938ef70ef951318d3d7aa763e.jpgMVIMG_20180219_104226.thumb.jpg.0610f200d94bb7940c27b965fcc91a61.jpg

Awesome . Thanks for the reply . I know I should wait for Jason to get them in . I really should . But reading your review and seeing the photos makes me want it so bad . (I can practically smell that new wheel smell looking at the above photos  . Lol) 

Just now, Scott Henley said:

Awesome . Thanks for the reply . I know I should wait for Jason to get them in . I really should . But reading your review and seeing the photos makes me want it so bad . (I can practically smell that new wheel smell looking at the above photos  . Lol) 

I know what you mean!  I'm addicted to that new wheel smell as well.  My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy.  But, I'm teaching her to ride and I'm sure she'll be just as hooked as me when she gets out and about!  Good luck!

6 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

If a dealer doesn't have the wheel that I'm interested in and/or I can't wait, then I'll buy it from wherever I can get it. Nobody was carrying the Mten3 so I (and many others here in the Forum) bought it from Chen.

You are a bit more on your own because you can't expect support from a local dealer if your wheel has a problem. So I prefer to purchase from @Jason McNeil when I can, but I realize that's not always going to be possible, particularly if you're not patient. I'm just happy that EWheels is currently selling all the hot wheels including the upcoming KS18L and Z10. Fortunately I have six wheels to keep me occupied so I can survive the wait :D

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If a dealer doesn't have the wheel that I'm interested in and/or I can't wait, then I'll buy it from wherever I can get it. Nobody was carrying the Mten3 so I (and many others here in the Forum) bought it from Chen.

You are a bit more on your own because you can't expect support from a local dealer if your wheel has a problem. So I prefer to purchase from @Jason McNeil when I can, but I realize that's not always going to be possible, particularly if you're not patient. I'm just happy that EWheels is currently selling all the hot wheels including the upcoming KS18L and Z10. Fortunately I have six wheels to keep me occupied so I can survive the wait :D

And there in lies the issue . After sale support. While I doubt I’ll run into any issues, the peace of mind in knowing that if anything does go wrong I’m covered by a dependable dealer is probably worth the wait . All of my experiences with @Jason McNeil and Joey  have been pleasant ones . I think my main problem is that I’m impulsive, impatient and tend to really over think things. For the longest time I wanted the 18s. Actually planned on just buying it and an older model msuper and calling it a day since the 18L seems so far out but with all these new wheels and the fact that my outlook on GW has changed drastically I’m afraid I wouldn’t be completely satisfied with that purchase. It’s a lot of cash to spend and I want to be sure I get what I want . Seems like the Tesla version of the msuper has everything I desire but it too will require me to “sit tight “ if I want to buy from Ewheels. In the end I probably will wait. I’d much rather spend my money with them as opposed to sending it overseas, but damn I hate waiting. Lol

1 hour ago, Scott Henley said:

if I want to buy from Ewheels. In the end I probably will wa

Optimistic that Gotway will make the charging port reverse diode task a priority,  now that we've paid the deposit on a fairly large order; so at least you'll get a safer 2000W MSuper once they arrive :) 

3 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Optimistic that Gotway will make the charging port reverse diode task a priority,  now that we've paid the deposit on a fairly large order; so at least you'll get a safer 2000W MSuper once they arrive :) 

To be honest: That would need a new designed BMS with their wiring approach....

And as they (afaik) dont produce their PCBs themself that would need some time, or?

7 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

And there in lies the issue . After sale support. While I doubt I’ll run into any issues, the peace of mind in knowing that if anything does go wrong I’m covered by a dependable dealer is probably worth the wait . All of my experiences with @Jason McNeil and Joey  have been pleasant ones . I think my main problem is that I’m impulsive, impatient and tend to really over think things. For the longest time I wanted the 18s. Actually planned on just buying it and an older model msuper and calling it a day since the 18L seems so far out but with all these new wheels and the fact that my outlook on GW has changed drastically I’m afraid I wouldn’t be completely satisfied with that purchase. It’s a lot of cash to spend and I want to be sure I get what I want . Seems like the Tesla version of the msuper has everything I desire but it too will require me to “sit tight “ if I want to buy from Ewheels. In the end I probably will wait. I’d much rather spend my money with them as opposed to sending it overseas, but damn I hate waiting. Lol

I really have received some amazing support from @Jason McNeil. When I got my new MSuper and it had the bad firmware that caused me to crash, he was able to ultimately re-flash the control board. If during that period when Gotway was sending out the crappy firmware I had bought the wheel from China I would have been without a wheel substantially longer and the fix much more involved.

I've been very happy with the four wheels that I've purchased from EWheels. The only reason that all 11-wheels that I've purchased didn't come from him was for some reason, he didn't carry Gotway until mid last year. Fortunately he came to his sense :D

6 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

@Jason McNeil, sorry for naiive question, but what does reverse diode on charging port protect against exactly ?

28 minutes ago, Adel said:

@Jason McNeil, sorry for naiive question, but what does reverse diode on charging port protect against exactly ?

Protect the charge port against shortage.....when you let fall a key on it, there is no power then....

35 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Protect the charge port against shortage.....when you let fall a key on it, there is no power then....

In other words, the diode is for clumsy people ;)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I've been very happy with the four wheels that I've purchased from EWheels. The only reason that all 11-wheels that I've purchased didn't come from him was for some reason, he didn't carry Gotway until mid last year. Fortunately he came to his

I will certainly stick with @Jason McNeil. His personalized service is beyond approach. Hopefully he can handle my wife. ;)

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I will certainly stick with @Jason McNeil. His personalized service is beyond approach. Hopefully he can handle my wife. ;)

@Rehab1, have you not seen the video of @Jason McNeil letting people test out the inmotion brushes ...by the looks of it he can certainly handle all of our wives . ?

10 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Cool. Thanks for trying to keep us safe @Jason McNeil. I haven’t had an issue with my ACM charge port yet . (Guessing you just need to be carful ) But added safety isn’t necessarily a bad thing (as long as it doesn’t limit my speed ?) I’ll just have to let the waiting game begin . Or buy an ACM2...?. Really want an 18 though . The 18L....is not even in production yet ? 

1 hour ago, Scott Henley said:

@Rehab1, have you not seen the video of @Jason McNeil letting people test out the inmotion brushes ...by the looks of it he can certainly handle all of our wives . ?

Thanks. Unless I want to reside in a doghouse the rest of my life I will pass. :cry2:

On 3/4/2018 at 10:10 AM, Adel said:

There are 84V volts between two of the pins at the charging port on my Tesla.  I measured it with a volt-meter.  So if you, a kid, or a dog decides to put their tongue on the prongs just to see how they taste like - watch out... And yes stranger things have happened albeit rarely thank goodness!  Although... it might come in handy to light a small signal or camp fire if you end up stranded out in the mountains after riding too long without enough water on a really hot day.  :whistling:  But how often does that happen?  Yeah yeah it's not a flaw - it's a feature!  :w00t2:

Archived