GQS

Gotway 18 (fast, 680wh) Review

Great review. Thanks. Really looking forward to mine arriving now.

Thank you for this very interesting test.

Is there others differences between the two models except maximum speed and do you think there is a different engine in each wheel ?

It should be very nice to have a long video about your wheels (on you tube they are to shorts)

Excuse my english, I am french

Glad to hear the good experiences.
Also, this to me is coming up, so I'm looking forward to the arrival :)

Do you have any pictures of this EU, just general or in motion and/or compared with other EU's?

Gilles, there are three models in total.  Fast, balanced, and high-torque.  The fast has a top speed of 40km/h but a top sustained hill climb of 27 degrees.  The balanced model has a top speed of 34km/h but has a top sustained hill climb of 33 degrees, and the high-torque model has a top speed of 28km/h and has a sustained hill climb of 39 degrees.  These are measurements in "degrees" not "percent slope" so is very impressive.  Each wheel has a different motor, or rather each version's stator has a different number of wire wounds around it to determine the torque vs top speed issue.  It is hardware and software difference.

• Upvote 2

MvM, ar6ee has a review with a number of pictures.  You can take a look here:

• Upvote 1

Sam, you can see my body armor in person once you get better. I go do my lap in the closed-to-cars section of GGP every Sunday afternoon between 2-3.  I enter through the disco rollerskaters area. 

Edited by GQS

Gilles, there are three models in total.  Fast, balanced, and high-torque.  The fast has a top speed of 40km/h but a top sustained hill climb of 27 degrees.  The balanced model has a top speed of 34km/h but has a top sustained hill climb of 33 degrees, and the high-torque model has a top speed of 28km/h and has a sustained hill climb of 39 degrees.  These are measurements in "degrees" not "percent slope" so is very impressive.  Each wheel has a different motor, or rather each version's stator has a different number of wire wounds around it to determine the torque vs top speed issue.  It is hardware and software difference.

So it is the motor windings that vary in each model. Just as I first suspected.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Upvote 1

Each wheel has a different motor, or rather each version's stator has a different number of wire wounds around it to determine the torque vs top speed issue.  It is hardware and software difference.

A thank you, from me to!

• Upvote 1

and the question now:

Does the different motors affect the acceleration of each typ?

So the 27km ist the fastet from 0 to 15mph?

Excellent review. I do have a question,... Does anyone know of a USA distributor? I'd like either a GW14 or GW18. And I'd luv a huge battery in the GW14.

I miss some information in here too!

Looks like nobody is realy intressted to sell.

The higher top speed results in lower acceleration.  The trade off is always in torque.  The model with the lowest top speed will probably accelerate fastest.

There is no USA distributor due to patent licensing rights issues.  You will need to secure one yourself through an importer or overseas distributor.

Excellent review. I do have a question,... Does anyone know of a USA distributor? I'd like either a GW14 or GW18. And I'd luv a huge battery in the GW14.

The Gotway 14 comes in a 680wh battery variant.  This should give the massive range you are looking for.

I found this very interesting Web page explaining the effects of the number of windings on brushless motors.

http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-Wrap-or-Upgrade-a-Brushless-Outrunner-Motor/?ALLSTEPS

The important bit that concerns speed and torque is:

A brushless motor uses a pulsed current that alternates between three wires. This fact about them can make it seem confusing about how to make one. There are a few different ways to wrap a brushless outrunner, but I will show you the easiest and most common way. Once you know how to wrap a brushless motor you can change the performance of your motors to have different outputs such as higher torque, higher RPM, and higher tolerances. You have a few different options when wrapping the coils of wire on the stator. More wraps or turns around each pole gives the motor more torque and a lower kv (rpm per volt). More turns will allow the motor to turn a bigger propeller, and fewer turns will limit the torque so it can turn a small prop at high speed. You can use any guage of wire that will fit the motor and you can wrap multipule wires at once for better performance.

• Upvote 2

GQS: Did you find out how do you know when the maximum speed is close by to fail?

The beep beep thing does'nt help if you have to middle or the high speed version

I have the middle version but, if I am at three beeps I do not trust to go faster. But should be still 7kph left.

Like the GW14, the sppedometer/odometer is not going right. The GW18 app tells me about 10% more then the GPS.

So the maximum speed is now 33kph by the app or 33kph by the GPS?