help please my ks-18s only charging to 90%

novazeus

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i’m not picking on china mfg. i’m just saying, i’ve never met anybody that equates china made with quality.

i would never buy a chinese made aircraft, would u? i was shopping a yacht made in taiwan but for an american company, but i’m re-thinking that.

i can only relate to my own experiences. for example: i’ve bought thousands of high end appliances made by general electric. never had a problem, not one. when i was fixing up my mother’s house, i thought i’d be clever and bought all samsung for her. i personally installed the dishwasher three times thinking i had a leak at the supply, finally got a repair company out that samsung contracts with, and it turns out that the water pump was there just never “popped” into the correct position.

the kind of stuff i have bought china made were fixtures, door knobs, light bulbs, paddle fans, etc. usually at loss leader sales at home depot type srores, for the affordale homes i built for different government agencies.i knew 20% of the china made goods would be defective, so i’d just buy in excess and return the duds.

if there is some example or examples of quality made goods in china, i’d like to hear about them. a necktie made in china is one thing, a device u rely on not to kill u, is another.

keep in mind, i come from another world as it relates to quality. my first “real” job was with diebold, inc from age 19 to 24. everything i did back then was perfect(as far as installation goes) and it still is today, vault doors don’t change and last a real long time.(meaning u can check ur chinese made spirits level for accuracy on the doors i put in, ten tons on a timken bearing, will find level).

Samsung is Korean you know. They make damn good stuff in my opinion.

I think your question really is "if there is some example or examples of quality designed made goods in China". To pick one obvious example to your originally stated question, Apple produces  products that many consider high-quality. Made in China.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Samsung is Korean you know. They make damn good stuff in my opinion.

I think your question really is "if there is some example or examples of quality designed made goods in China". To pick one obvious example to your originally stated question, Apple produces  products that many consider high-quality. Made in China.

ur up early. 

i’m sure samsung uses china parts as we do as well, but yeah it was an assembly problem. idk where samsung appliances are made, specifically that dishwasher.https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-plans-380m-home-appliance-factory-in-south-carolina/

that’s funny u mention apple as i type this on this pos ipad pro 9.7. 

i’ll never, ever buy anything apple ever again. if my hands were soft like a woman, i’d do better with their products (capacitive touch screen)and their durabilty is hideous. maybe i don’t know my own strength, but i cracked the screen on this one when it was brand new just by picking it up on a corner with my index finger and thumb. 

would U buy an civilian aircraft made in china?

ps i certainly avoid buying any dog food, treats made in china. course would let Bob ride a wheel either, maybe drive the jeep instead. Bob and i might be a lot further along in our training if china had a better track record on wheels.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

This is neither a diagnosis or solution, but it's something you might try. King Song has a fast charger that has a button with 2 settings. 1st setting can charge your battery to 85%, then 2nd setting can charge it up to 100%. Do you have this fast charger? Manual and dealers say that in normal circumstances, keeping your battery at 85% charged is good enough for the life span of the battery. If you need the extra range, then charge it up to 100%. 

54 minutes ago, scubadragosan said:

This is neither a diagnosis or solution, but it's something you might try. King Song has a fast charger that has a button with 2 settings. 1st setting can charge your battery to 85%, then 2nd setting can charge it up to 100%. Do you have this fast charger? Manual and dealers say that in normal circumstances, keeping your battery at 85% charged is good enough for the life span of the battery. If you need the extra range, then charge it up to 100%. 

i appreciate that but i really think this is firmware related because the charging of the ks-16s got better immediately after the firmware update. i think the techies at kingsong are trying to do something from keeping aliexpress vendors from selling their wheels in protected territories. wouldn’t be hard to sabotage a wheel.

ur up early. 

i’m sure samsung uses china parts as we do as well, but yeah it was an assembly problem. idk where samsung appliances are made, specifically that dishwasher.https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-plans-380m-home-appliance-factory-in-south-carolina/

that’s funny u mention apple as i type this on this pos ipad pro 9.7. 

i’ll never, ever buy anything apple ever again. if my hands were soft like a woman, i’d do better with their products but their durabilty is hideous. maybe i don’t know my own strength, but i cracked the screen on this one when it was brand new just by picking it up on a corner with my index finger and thumb. 

would U buy an civilian aircraft made in china?

ps i certainly avoid buying any dog food, treats made in china. course would let Bob ride a wheel either, maybe drive the jeep instead. Bob and i might be a lot further along in our training if china had a better track record on wheels.

Yes, you clearly are a brute ;)

Buy a plane designed and built in China? No. Built in China by a reputable Western manufacturer, yes.

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, you clearly are a brute ;)

Buy a plane designed and built in China? No. Built in China by a reputable Western manufacturer, yes.

yes, i have ranch hands, not people that work here, don’t have any help.

and i never knew i had testosterone off the charts until my healths problems in 2014. my whole life i thought other men were weak and lazy.( i did put in vault doors, safes, bulletproof windows, atms etc etc for 5 years from 19 to 24 and we did that using handtools basically so two man lifting of very heavy stuff or manhandling heavy steel was the gig) the doctor in jax called me at home at night when he saw that lab and wanted to know if i was injecting steroids or something like the atheletes do. i haven’t ever and nobody should. look i’m old raised in pasco county florida where u were encourage to box(competitively) and encourage to fight if u needed to. a 13 year old boy that was about a foot taller than me at 12, tried to to punch me in an unsportsmanlike way, and after that fight, i never saw that kid again. the family moved i heard. i’m real peaceful because i have a big brain but once my switch is flipped, i get pretty pissed. works good with the cows. better have some moxie staring down a 600 pound bull u have cornered.

are there any civilian aircraft built in china by a western mfg?

turn key assembly is their problem. my harley made in 2008 is the last welded frame roadking they made. subsequent years, the frame was made modular and the modular parts made in mexico but still assembled here. 

like i said, i used china parts in my low income homes i built and i’m sure those $5 bedroom locksets lasted as well as the $75 ones in the million dollar+ homes i built, )i use to have to fix schlage locksets as well, btw) after i tested them and culled them and fixed them or returned them. inspection and quality control is where they are lacking. i’d rather have a china designed and china parts but assembled in america one man one dog drone, not china or korea assembled.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

Remember: when they want it, the Chinese are doing technological marvels. There is currently a rover exploring the moon, they have their own space station that they feed semi-automatically ... we do not know how to do that, not just for lack of money, but because it's very difficult (I worked on Ariane 5).

5 hours ago, Techos78 said:

Remember: when they want it, the Chinese are doing technological marvels. There is currently a rover exploring the moon, they have their own space station that they feed semi-automatically ... we do not know how to do that, not just for lack of money, but because it's very difficult (I worked on Ariane 5).

I think that taring an entire nation's industry with the same brush is not accurate.  It's like saying all French companies are... or all British products leak oil (ok, that last one might be true).  However, I am not aware of a single Chinese EUC company that fixes all last generation problems (or even acknowledges them) before building the current generation.  King Song still can't find a single person in the whole world who speaks or writes proper English.  And GotWay has it recurring issues too. I doubt any EUC workers moonlight on the moon rover program. (Moonlight; see what I did there? oh, just forget it :mellow:)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I think that taring an entire nation's industry with the same brush is not accurate.  It's like saying all French companies are... or all British products leak oil (ok, that last one might be true).  However, I am not aware of a single Chinese EUC company that fixes all last generation problems (or even acknowledges them) before building the current generation.  King Song still can't find a single person in the whole world who speaks or writes proper English.  And GotWay has it recurring issues too. I doubt any EUC workers moonlight on the moon rover program. (Moonlight; see what I did there? oh, just forget it :mellow:)

Ninebot?  But who knows, they are so slow to make new designs, maybe it just seems that way.

don’t get me wrong, i think china is perfectly positioned in our throwaway society. we don’t throw stuff away because we’re wasteful, we do it because technology is moving so fast. i mean, where is ur bag phone now. but china, i thought, had a long way to go for people to associate “china made” with a quality product. 

the real culprit for me, are the bean counters. it seems everything is calculated to be better, if it is made cheaper, not correctly. like with our wheels or cars, for that matter. i had a rat or a squirrel eat a sensor wire in my truck that was about a foot long. no plastic conduit covering it, which might have cost a nickel, instead of a repair/replacement that cost in excess of a thousand dollars. somebody told me the insulation on these wires were made of some kind of biodegradeable material that attracted pests. just like me building low income homes, i couldn’t hardly make the budget on the houses work using a better door knob, so i choose some generic from china. 

everything i’ve ever heard about china is that they were great at copying but ripped off technology from other countries.

i don’t know what the minimum wage is in china, vietnam, north korea, sri lanka etc etc but i’ll bet it’s less than usa. i don’t even know how their wages are based, is it piece work or hourly? and the germans get like two months vacation, which i’m grateful for, because many come to florida and boost our economy on vacation.

i mean this is off topic of my battery charging problem but i stand to be corrected and learn from cirizens of other countries, except china, north korea etc because of their lack of being able to speak out. 

finally finished watching “deepwater horizon” last night. another example of a beancounter in charge. 

when building things, my attitude is, the labor is the same to solder a 6 gauge wire as opposed to a 4 gauge wire, that’s a foot long. on paper, the 6 should work, 97% of the time, but why not spring an extra nickel for the heavier wire, that could prevent a lawsuit. oh wait, i guess not, how do u sue a china company making a handful of toys. u can’t, could be banned though. all of these things are calculated by companies to increase their profitability, reputation be damned. not just china, everywhere.

Edited by novazeus

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Ninebot?  But who knows, they are so slow to make new designs, maybe it just seems that way.

i’m hoping for ninebot to step up the quality in wheels but it’s up to u guys that love these things. if the people buying them swing @Marty Backe way of thinking, and he reports issues fairly i think about gotway products(i’ve never seen one in person) gotway will put segway in a position to get down a dirty with them (i’m not knockng gotway, fanboys). just like me in my trade of building houses, if i build a house that cost $500k and it’s done as perfect as perfect can get on this planet and another builder builds one that is the same siza and looks just like it for $400k by cutting corners, that’ll probably be the last house i ever build because i won’t be able to sell it. 

the golden rule, he who has the gold rules.

i kidded marty a while ago telling him if i was brought in as a consultant for gotway, first thing i’d do is sponsor him with kingsong and take all his gotways away. his reviews and videos is partly why i chose kingsong. i’m grateful for that, i guess, like i said, never saw one and don’t have the knowledge to know good from bad anyway.

if 12.5 mph was the top speed of a wheel that was bulletproof and strong, i’d be happy. i know, i’m the only one on this forum that thinks that way. i mean, i fell in my pasture at maybe 3 mph, and no protective gear i know of would have kept my thumb from getting hyper extended, nbd but i care tell it’s still a little sore. suppose it was 5 mph or 10 mph?

i love these things. almost like a medical device for me.

well if u hear on the news about an big explosion and fire just north of tampa, that’s probably gonna be me. got all 6 wheels in the old homestead pile together and i received a charge doctor today so i’m playing mad scientist trying to get tha 18s to top out and balance at what sb it’s correct voltage. 

so far i haven’t heard an explosion.

weird. starting to understand how edison musta felt. good news is, i got the ks-16s to 100% charge, the bad news is, the 18s is hanging tough at 91% charge and somehow i managed to screw up both the brick chargers sent with the ks wheels. neither were hot, just no light on them. i check the voltage and it’s all over the map. form 120 vdc to 8 or less. both the same. something got fried in there. 

best after market charger suggestions or just get another generic brick?

39883975705_27ce224b46_b.jpg

weird. starting to understand how edison musta felt. good news is, i got the ks-16s to 100% charge, the bad news is, the 18s is hanging tough at 91% charge and somehow i managed to screw up both the brick chargers sent with the ks wheels. neither were hot, just no light on them. i check the voltage and it’s all over the map. form 120 vdc to 8 or less. both the same. something got fried in there. 

120 vdc?

18 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

120 vdc?

ya, kinda scary weird. all over the map on voltages. i just hooked both chargers up to the charge doctor and voila, two real bricks now. idk who the charge doctor mfg is but maybe he’ll see this and help me figure out what went wrong. i’m not wooried about it but i do need another charger now.

8 hours ago, novazeus said:

Get a charger from Jason at ewheels. He sells the adjustable ones that will charge from 80-100% and it shows the voltage of your wheel.

i guess to get @Flora Yuan input on the kingsong page u gotta be @Marty Backe who loves gotway. flora, ooh u so handsome marty, what is she trying to do, lure u from the dark side? for crying out loud, this is the page u shouls pay attention to if ur job is customer relations. 

how about fixing ur software? and these charging problems?

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, brjohnso said:

Are you "top off" charging and never letting the battery run down? Perhaps the cells are unbalanced from that, and you should run down the battery and then recharge to see if that helps.

yeah i’ve tried everything. not sure how or why it happened, coulda been charger or firmware upgrade, but after weeks of trying, the ks-16s magically charged to 100%. of course my two kingsong chargers stopped working immediately after that trying to use them with the charge doctor in duo mode. 

so now i’m dead in the water as far as charging goes. i’ve got a deposit on a 9botz10 with @Jason McNeil so i’m hoping to get one of his chargers when he gets them in stock. the ks-18s only moved from 90% to 91%. it could be how the board is reading the voltage. haven’t taken it apart to read the battery packs voltage. i love the tall shell of the 18s for rough riding in my pastures but the fat tire on the z10 might put the ks-18s on the chopping block. just gotta be patient.

NovaZ,

A few weeks ago you asked me to send a screen shot of my 18S at full charge so here it is, and although the screen shot doesn’t show the power “bouncing” around, it does, so that seems normal for the volts just a little and the watts more even tho at the moment of the screen grab it showed zero watts.

Data was the same in the KS app.

And I think as previously stated by Jason the voltage won’t show the full 67.2 due to the charger port diode.

2065A84D-F7F9-4870-B7CF-1741A3FDDA39.png

Edited by Master Blaster

18 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

NovaZ,

A few weeks ago you asked me to send a screen shot of my 18S at full charge so here it is, and although the screen shot doesn’t show the power “bouncing” around, it does, so that seems normal for the volts just a little and the watts more even tho at the moment of the screen grab it showed zero watts.

Data was the same in the KS app.

And I think as previously stated by Jason the voltage won’t show the full 67.2 due to the charger port diode.

2065A84D-F7F9-4870-B7CF-1741A3FDDA39.png

thanks.

Also of note I have the fast charger from eWheels that I like a lot, however, when I set the adjustment knob to 100% charge it shuts off a little early resulting in a charge around 93% instead of 100%. So on those occasions that I want to accomplish a full top-off and balance charge I use one of my stock 2 amp chargers that came with the KS wheel to get it up to a full charge.

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

Also of note I have the fast charger from eWheels that I like a lot, however, when I set the adjustment knob to 100% charge it shuts off a little early resulting in a charge around 93% instead of 100%. So on those occasions that I want to accomplish a full top-off and balance charge I use one of my stock 2 amp chargers that came with the KS wheel to get it up to a full charge.

that’s interesting. here’s mine from awhile back. since then, after a few attempts, there was a firmware update, and the ks-16s charged to 95%. then later after it went down, playing with charge doctor in duo mode, two ks chargers, i magically got 100%. 

i tried the same trick on the ks-18s and i gained 1% and two dead chargers.

ks-16s

38694731410_c4e026ebbc_b.jpg

ks-18s

25641567967_cb50bcee6f_b.jpg

ks-16s now

39883941225_f8d7342bbb_b.jpg

Edited by novazeus

• 1 month later...

groan! i give up. got a new brick charger from china today after burning up the two kingsong chargers using the charge doctor. so the ks-16s went to green light on the brick and it reads 92%. 

i think both of my kingsong wheels have a defective voltage meter on their boards. i seem to remember when i finally got around to riding them and installing an app to read voltage capacity, the 16s was at 92% and the 18s at 90%. the weird thing is, using the duo charge doctor, before i smoked my chargers, i finally got the 16s to read 100% and had the ks18s coming up to 93%.

i'll bet money the 18s will be at 90% when i pull it off the charger.

screw it. i'm not gonna sweat it anymore, it is what it is.