help please my ks-18s only charging to 90%

novazeus

according to wheellog and kingsong app my ks-18s is only reading 90% charge but the charger green light came on. all the little leds on the battery level indicator are lit. it’s reading 64.46volts.

aargh. just when i finally figure out how to use these things problems arise with the damn batteries.

Have you tried a full discharge then recharge to balance the batteries?

Do you have a 2nd charger to rule out any kind of issues potentially with the charger cutting off charging before the full 67.7V?

I'd also be curious to see if each individually connected battery pack will charge to 67.7V.

11 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Have you tried a full discharge then recharge to balance the batteries?

Do you have a 2nd charger to rule out any kind of issues potentially with the charger cutting off charging before the full 67.7V?

I'd also be curious to see if each individually connected battery pack will charge to 67.7V.

yeah i was just changing chargers. i also have a new ks-16s. i thought maybe i had green and red reversed in my mind, like green meant it was still charging. the ks-16s which i pulled off the charger earlier today is only reading 94%, and the charger goes directly red to green. but no i haven’t cycled the batteries like that at all. how low would i run them for full discharge? thanks for your help btw.

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

yeah i was just changing chargers. i also have a new ks-16s. i thought maybe i had green and red reversed in my mind, like green meant it was still charging. the ks-16s which i pulled off the charger earlier today is only reading 94%, and the charger goes directly red to green.

If the same charger doesn't full charge both wheels, might have something to do with the charger.

but no i haven’t cycled the batteries like that at all. how low would i run them for full discharge? thanks for your help btw.

Ideally as low as possible, but without a proper battery cycling apparatus, I imagine riding it down to like sub-10% limp-home mode speed would suffice(?) maybe with some extra non-rider treadmill mileage(?) There's no hard rule, just as low as you can reasonably get it.

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

If the same charger doesn't full charge both wheels, might have something to do with the charger.

i’ve got two chargers, so yes the same charger for both wheels but the other charger is reading green too. i’m gonna leave it plugged in overnight and see if it gained any voltage. 

I have had this same problem. I will charge it up til the charger goes green. Disconnect it, and when I get on it and check the battery level it is at 91%. 

I wonder if there is some weird anomolous resistance that builds up in the board and wont let it charge all the way in one shot. I found that after around 6 or 7 hrs if its not full but says it is, if I let the charger and the EUC sit for an hour or so disconnected then plug them in, it continues to charge but takes about 2 hrs. I turn the euc on to check the battery level then turn it off and start to charge it again. This fools it into charging again so far.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I have had this same problem. I will charge it up til the charger goes green. Disconnect it, and when I get on it and check the battery level it is at 91%. 

I wonder if there is some weird anomolous resistance that builds up in the board and wont let it charge all the way in one shot. I found that after around 6 or 7 hrs if its not full but says it is, if I let the charger and the EUC sit for an hour or so disconnected then plug them in, it continues to charge but takes about 2 hrs. I turn the euc on to check the battery level then turn it off and start to charge it again. This fools it into charging again so far.

thanks for making me feel better. i know zero about these batteries and was hoping to stay that way. if charging to 100% isn’t as good as charging to 90%, i’m fine with that, i don’t really need the range. it has the lg 1680 batteries. maybe the chargers kick down to trickle to get up to 100%. looks like the ks-18s is gonna be my pasture horse. i’ll just ride the sob until it dies. i’m not worried about a cut out in the pasture. i’ve taken worst beatings, like when my pet bull tried to kill me. it is curious the ks-16s is only reading 94% with a green light on the charger.

• Upvote 1

The protection diode at the KS charge port might also be a factor here, although my understanding of this is admittedly not the greatest. (KS ports are diode protected so current only flows into the battery, not out, and KS ports are not "live" unless charging, unlike Gotway charge ports, which are always "live").

11 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

The protection diode at the KS charge port might also be a factor here, although my understanding of this is admittedly not the greatest. (KS ports are diode protected so current only flows into the battery, not out, and KS ports are not "live" unless charging, unlike Gotway charge ports, which are always "live").

Good to know. Jason has said the new KS18s and newer KS16s both have the charger going into the board first before the batteries instead of the old way. If the diode is still there, it could be getting in the way of the board. I clearly do not have enough knowledge on their circuitry, but I do know unintended consequences.

i just checked the ks-18s again and no change. light still green and still 90% charged. i disconnected it and plugged in the ks-16s. i’ll see what it is in the morning. maybe tmrw i’ll give them both a workout in the pasture. dunno if the ks-16s can handle the pastures but we’ll see. i’m fearless on dirt. guess u never have to worry about an overcharge this way.

i just checked the ks-18s again and no change. light still green and still 90% charged. i disconnected it and plugged in the ks-16s. i’ll see what it is in the morning. maybe tmrw i’ll give them both a workout in the pasture. dunno if the ks-16s can handle the pastures but we’ll see. i’m fearless on dirt. guess u never have to worry about an overcharge this way.

you should check the output voltage of the chargers..

they should be -at least- 67,2 Volt, better is a bit higher ....

If they are 67,2 and still your wheel doesnt charge up higher than 90%...perhaps one of the BMS or packs has a failure!

its important to charge up to 100% once in a while, because your batterys need to be balanced!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

as this is a seldom fault, i would rule out chargers and Bms/packs  first....

both chargers seem to work the same. so the odds of them both being bad is probably nil and the ks-16s reaches higher voltage.couldn’t find a working multimeter, but i don’t think it’s the chargers. gotta be something else.

6 minutes ago, novazeus said:

both chargers seem to work the same. so the odds of them both being bad is probably nil and the ks-16s reaches higher voltage.couldn’t find a working multimeter, but i don’t think it’s the chargers. gotta be something else.

Yeah, didnt sound like the chargers.....

I would bet for defect BMS....do you still have warranty?

i don’t know how they do the math. 90% of 67.7 is 60.93 and the actual voltage is 64.46 which would be closer to 95%. must do battery percentages differently. so much for their battery level indicator being useless. it shows full.

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i don’t know how they do the math. 90% of 67.7 is 60.93 and the actual voltage is 64.46 which would be closer to 95%. must do battery percentages differently. so much for their battery level indicator being useless. it shows full.

No, you cant do the math like this...

0 % is not 0 Volt...it is about 50volts. So 64,5 is about 90% ....thats correct. 50% are at about 58-59volt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yeah, didnt sound like the chargers.....

I would bet for defect BMS....do you still have warranty?

bought one from rockwheel and the other from feier on aliexpress in august. idk if kingsong does warranty. kinda odd both wheels aren’t fully charging. 

bought one from rockwheel and the other from feier on aliexpress in august. idk if kingsong does warranty. kinda odd both wheels aren’t fully charging. 

You have a half year as far as i know from those sellers...but it would be hard. to claim that, especially for batterys :-(

Lets first analyse yourself...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

You have a half year as far as i know from those sellers...but it would be hard. to claim that, especially for batterys :-(

Lets first analyse yourself...

maybe kingsong will have an suggestion when they get back from holiday. idk if either of these wheels ever fully charged because i just started using them and using wheellog and the kingsong app and wheellog seem really buggy. i have to go thru different gyrations to get them to work.

1 minute ago, Rob Valley said:

i had the same problem, then i bought a 4amp charger and i was able to top up again, never looked back on the standard charger.

just saying i would not put the probability of 2 chargers being broke to

-nil-

higely unlikely, but not impossible

compared to the segway chargers, physically, they do look cheap. i think it has to be the board circuitry not allowing a full charge. 

Please note that the green LED does not mean that the charging is stopped. It is only information that the measured current is below 100 mA. This could be inaccurate in your charger. When you leave the charger with a green LED, it will continue to charge. Then you try to measure current. When it is around 100mA and your EUC show less then 98-100% it could be battery problem. Anyway we recomended our new product Smart Fast Charger for KS: https://emonocykle-sklep.pl/en/spare-parts/81-fast-charger.html. This charger give you all information about your battery.

Edited by KS Poland
  • Like 1