Anyone replaced their car yet?

exoplanet

5 hours ago, exoplanet said:

Uninspectable?

And why did you go for an euc rather than a car?

See photo above. Finances. My transportation needs are 70% met by having an EUC, and that's pretty good for someone in my current situation. No registration, no insurance, no gas costs, no repairs, no inspection, no parking meters, no traffic tickets.

1 hour ago, exoplanet said:

I was wondering what uninspectable would mean in this context

I concur. Most of my needs are covered by the euc, except comfort, weather proofing and safety.

Not able to pass inspection.  Most places require that a car is safe to drive and does not emit smoke.  In other words, a car that passes a safety inspection.

I could see that selling your car and just using an EUC would would work if you were living somewhere with civilised weather such as California, not really so much in somewhere like the UK where the differentiation bettween summer and winter is simply the temperature of the water falling out of the sky. :crying:

well, lets say that's how it went to me. In my country, I can't do without a car (too much distance travelled daily with a weak public transport infrastructure at lease since I was there) but since I moved in SZ to my family the EUC is the only vehicle I have. Public transport is great and I would regret having a car in China. When I need a car I will rent one and for now, I will need to convert my driving license too. This way it will save me parking bills, maintenance and other costs that will be incurred.

as for the uninspectable, that's called VRT (vehicle-road test) in order to ensure a safety to the people inside and outside the vehicle (including pollution as fumes and sounds)

21 hours ago, nute said:

I could see that selling your car and just using an EUC would would work if you were living somewhere with civilised weather such as California, not really so much in somewhere like the UK where the differentiation bettween summer and winter is simply the temperature of the water falling out of the sky. :crying:

I have 4 driver cars and a couple of dozen others for show. I love cars, Subarus specifically and am starting a Museum. Los Angeles is too spread out and too terribly cobbled together transportationally speaking.  The parts that are high density used bicycle lanes in the planning as a political afterthought and have little to no real public transport solutions. The parts that were planned for cars or before cars took hold have no real Public transport. Try getting from Norco to Malibu in one day on Public transport. Everything is nearly as slow as every mode now in Los Angeles

I will do a test in the future to see if Public Transport can get a person from the Mountains to the Beach quicker than an Electric Unicycle. Finally as of last year this can be accomplished by Public transport or by Euc, so its way past time for this test. But I can carry more and be lazier in my cars, so I have no need to decide. No will either come to think of it. :dribble:

19 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I love cars, Subarus specifically and am starting a Museum.

Got a 360? Never seen one. First Subie was a '79 wagon. Then an '80. Took a break until the '05 Forester XT which was crazy fast for its day. Would easily chew up my Boxster S (RIP).

This topic comes up a lot for the cyclist and e-bike people, too - it's sort of the "promised land" of personal transportation.  Really I think it is a matter of:

• Living/working in a self-contained area (your job, groceries, recreation, doctor, dentist, family, etc. all reasonably nearby)
  • No need for urgent/immediate/rapid travel
  • Access to good public transit, plus ride-shares and/or rentals should the need arise
  • Weather which is reasonably temperate and dry during travel hours, all year (or worst case, at least clear, treated paths and a variety of clothes)
  • A backup plan, since it's not always easy to find EV mechanics who stock all the parts you need and can turn around a job in a couple hours

While I will probably never be in that position myself, I always enjoy the inspiration and advice from those who've made it work!  I'm hoping to give commuting a go when the weather improves here.  Despite driving an electric car, I still find myself looking for ways to be even more energy-efficient. :blink:

No, never will, when I was about 7km away from work, I rode 3-4 out of 5, but not Im about 14-15km away, and it is not the distance but rather the pathway to work that makes it unusable. At this point its recreational only.... still happy :)

• 2 months later...

Used to have 2 cars, now only my wife has a car and I have my V5F+.  I very rarely drive her car and usually use the wheel for going to local stores, commuting to work, and leisure riding.  On days with bad weather, I take the Metro bus goes to my place of work.  It's been a whole lot cheaper only owning one car between me and the wife, and so far it hasn't been a disadvantage.

5 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I don't get how you guys all go grocery shopping on a wheel. How much can you actually carry? My kids would be pissed if I came home from the store with an onion and a pack of noodles for the week. 

My wife does the big grocery shopping sprees in the car.  I go on the wheel for small one-offs.  I just buy as much as will fit in a backpack when we run out of certain things, need a few missing ingredients for a meal, or for other incidentals.  Though, if I end up picking up a gallon of milk, then I'm probably walking back home.

Just now, kasenutty said:

I tried getting some lunchmeat and a loaf of bread once but I dont like carrying stuff around while I ride I don't think so much. 

That makes sense. I don't think I would replace a car with a wheel only without having a backup means of transportation (like a local city bus). From what I read, some wheel-only riders use Uber or a cab for large shopping runs.

I gave up my car but kept it for long distance trips. April to April I’ve covered 6000 km on my wheel which is more or less the same in-city mileage I used to drive yearly.

i use my wheel for shopping as well. No problems at all. My Thule (notebook) backpack holds 15 kg comfortably and Kingsong does not complain about this additional load either. Positive side effect is that I shop much more carefully now which results in spending less and wasting less.

I've carried a large box down to the post office to mail, and I've gone shopping for some items like a 4L milk, jug of lemonade, eggs, etc.  It's actually very practical and fun if you don't need to get a lot of items.   I usually will carry one plastic bag in each hand and ride home.  I haven't bothered bringing a backpack, but that's an option.  It's not too bad with the extra ballast, but you have to keep full control of your wheel with only your feet.  It's a little tricky on downward slopes so be careful.  I still need to practice stopping on downhills.  Uphills don't seem as bad for some reason.  People love seeing you riding and carrying stuff around.  I've had cars stop especially for me to cross the road.  I usually try to give them a thumbs up if I can, but it depends on how heavy the bags are.

Mine would not start from not being used in so long , dead battery. I only use it to get to the good trails that are to far away to ride to. Would love to upgrade to the 100v from the 84v monster. Then I will have spent more money on the two wheels than I did on my car . 

Archived