SALE: Segway MiniPro 2018 $354.18 Amazon USA 2018.02.19

Amazon has been dropping the price on the 2018 version of the MiniPro steadily by a few dollars for a while sometimes, like today, making several drops in a single day.

The current price at the time of this message was $394.68

SEGWAY miniPRO Smart Self Balancing Transporter 2018 Edition, 12.5 Mile Range, 10 MPH

Sold and Shipped by Amazon.com 

Not a bad deal, and at the current rate of price changes it still may go lower.  Unfortunately it has the slightly lower capacity battery, and the company should be boycotted for such a move.  The real name of this version is the 2018 Downgraded Edition, and how many companies do that and have the product survive? :)  If it hits $300 it's a good buy for back-up parts, although it's not likely to fall that far.

Yes, I have a feeling they are trying to just sell the remaining stock.  They probably ran out of batteries and just bought the cheapest they could find or used the same low capacity cells that they use in the Plus model to build new packs for the MiniPro and thus ended up with less overall capacity.  Too bad there is little chance for a real upgrade to the miniPro, at least not until the patents expire and someone else decides to give it a go.

I'm not sure why Segway and EUCs have not yet moved beyond the 18650 to the 21700 cell yet.  These vehicles should be using the best battery tech, yet few of them (if any) even use the best 18650 cells for the high current they need.  Seems the best one can hope for is Panasonic/Sanyo GA which is a very good cell for many things, but less than ideal for the typical EUC.  

51 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

$375.40

Not sure what game they are playing, but the price is still dropping.

It's normal for Amazon's prices on some items to fluctuate a lot.  Some items change price by just a cent or two, then go down $40, then up $60, then down 10 cents.  I see it a lot. 

3 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

It's normal for Amazon's prices on some items to fluctuate a lot.  Some items change price by just a cent or two, then go down $40, then up $60, then down 10 cents.  I see it a lot. 

Yes, I'm very familiar with Amazon price movements, but they don't usually continue to just go down at the rate this one is going.  Maybe it happens, but it is not that common.  Up/down yes, but continue very slow decline I don't think is too common.  

I would never buy a Mini Lite with it's baby battery.  I would only be good for a few trips to the mailbox.

55 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

Yes, I'm very familiar with Amazon price movements, but they don't usually continue to just go down at the rate this one is going.  Maybe it happens, but it is not that common.  Up/down yet, continue very slow decline I don't think is too common.  

Yes I agree, this particular area circled is quite unusual.

Image1.jpg

56 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

I would never buy a Mini Lite with it's baby battery.  I would only be good for a few trips to the mailbox.

I would buy one for $255 in a heart beat.  From Spring to Summer my partner and I take our dog for walks through a mix of roads and off-road terrain every dry evening.  I usually take the EUC and she takes the MiniPro, but I often wish we were both on MiniPros so I could stop and investigate things we find of interest, and go slowly and explore the woods at a calm pace.  On the EUC it's 'all go' or nothing.  There's no stopping for a second, reversing and then going off on my way again.  The route is never more than 5km, so the Lite would be the perfect companion vehicle for these trips.

I use mine for a daily commute (2 miles round trip), so it really wouldn't make much difference to me.

Although there's no way I get anywhere close to the 15 miles on my minipro (maybe 9 at best), so I'm not sure what the lower capacity max will be in reality

It’s even lower now, at $370.  At this price it’s worth for MiniPro lovers to buy, just to have the extra battery in a backpack for long rides, and for a full set of spare parts. Or for a family member or friend to join in on rides.

2 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

It’s even lower now, at $370.  At this price it’s worth for MiniPro lovers to buy, just to have the extra battery in a backpack for long rides, and for a full set of spare parts. Or for a family member or friend to join in on rides.

The low was $365, so yes it has come back from the $380, range, but is not a new low.   If I didn't have a few spares already I would consider it for the extra parts, but unfortunately the battery is the most valuable part and it's not very good.  

MoreForMini is selling a new battery they claim is 6400mAh and 355Wh using good cells, for $200US, but as of yet are unable to confirm support for Full-Speed on the latest firmware, so it is possible the firmware will limit the top speed like it does with some other 3rd party batteries.  I'm tempted to try it, but I have enough original batteries right now, I'm waiting for a bit longer to see if any more compatibility information comes available.

Update: Alexey of MoreForMini has confirmed to me that his machine is running at full speed (12MPH) with his new battery, but he does not use the App.  Sounds like I need to get one just for the fun of testing it, even though I don't need anymore batteries for this machine.  If this works for everyone this would be a very nice addition to the MiniPro.

There was a vender selling model 320 for $419 the last i looked.  Maybe we'll see the Plus model drop soon for Spring.  Seems like they are restocking them right now, so the next batch might still be on the boat.  The plus might be easier to rip apart and install some good cells in it, although that would be costly and you still have to put up with the other shortcomings.  Seem like Ninebot is no longer advertising the PTR C (Comfort model with the knee controller), or the knee controller as a separate accessory for the PTR Elite.  So it seems there is no true upgrade path at the moment if you want to maintain the knee controller.

• FreeRide changed the title to SALE: Segway MiniPro 2018 $354.18 Amazon USA 2018.02.19

Archived