Update: KS16s's lock can be confusing.

LanghamP

After the update, odd behavior until the wheel bricked.

Update: somehow the lock feature was enabled, I'm concerned how that is possible because I have not connected to it for the last few rides.

It will have two beeps, and the Bluetooth music will work. When turned off you'll see three lights per led, of different colors. However, simply turning on the wheel and the app didn't work for me as no auto connect worked.

Solution:

1. Make sure the KS app has all permissions.

2. With the wheel turned on, go into the KS connect and do search for device. Find your device then connect.

3. Your wheel should now be unlocked and the gyro then enables itself.

I do not recommend using the lock feature.

I'd assume to 1.03? 

And it's "fully" bricked? Hardware dead? Did you check the fuse(s?)?

Somewhere imho was written, that the new KS firmwares should have "brick safe bootloaders" so that failures while updating should not matter and updates could be repeated until success?

Seems i remembered wrong or there are still some failures possible...?

Or updating just went fine and the firmware itself can cause such real probs?

I hope you get the KS replaced without probs! I don't know the laws regarding this,  but Dead by firmware update should be free replacement no matter of any warranty period (manufacturer fault)?

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

I'd assume to 1.03? 

And it's "fully" bricked? Hardware dead? Did you check the fuse(s?)?

Somewhere imho was written, that the new KS firmwares should have "brick safe bootloaders" so that failures while updating should not matter and updates could be repeated until success?

Seems i remembered wrong or there are still some failures possible...?

Or updating just went fine and the firmware itself can cause such real probs?

I hope you get the KS replaced without probs! I don't know the laws regarding this,  but Dead by firmware update should be free replacement no matter of any warranty period (manufacturer fault)?

The lock feature allready was there on the earlier firmware. like 1.02

Its just that on some firmware updates, it seams that after updating to 1.03 it activates after the update, but can be put to OFF again!

Then when you unlock it, the app asks you, if you want it to unlock Once and for now...or for "always".

And as this question is a bit irritating, it happend to me, also, that i only unlocked it for "now" and on the next powering wheel up, the lock was there again. So when ask you need to answer "permanent unlock"....

It is a little confusing, the Lock function. But hey, some always wanted something like that.

The update policiy changed, in that way, that you can now repeat a firmware update, if it was stopped, failed or did not complete. Then you can repeat it, as long as you have it completed and installed. When it is completed...you can not repeat it anymore.

On the older app, when your update failed/stopped/interrupted you needed to contact a seller/service. So that has changed.

I thought the wheel was dead and that the beeps and lights were diagnosis codes. The lock feature isn't loud enough to warn a thief off, and hitting the power button would power the wheel down including any sounds.

In contrasts, the Ninebot S goes nuts when you try moving it; lights on, volume at max, and the wheel shakes while still balancing. It totally sound like a bomb about to go off in a sci fi movie. Awesomely cool.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I thought the wheel was dead and that the beeps and lights were diagnosis codes. The lock feature isn't loud enough to warn a thief off, and hitting the power button would power the wheel down including any sounds.

In contrasts, the Ninebot S goes nuts when you try moving it; lights on, volume at max, and the wheel shakes while still balancing. It totally sound like a bomb about to go off in a sci fi movie. Awesomely cool.

This would be the appropriate locking mechanism!  Jason, can we add this feature to your app?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, LanghamP said:

i don’t have any reason to lock my wheels, id never do it with kingsong’s app, i lose patience waiting for it to connect with android (app might be my charging/voltage problem) but i’m gonna lock one of my 9bots just to see this. 

from packaging to marketing, software, finish etc etc. segway/ninebot is waay better than kingsong. except for the battery/voltage/charging problem, which might be a big problem or not a problem, still sucks and should have never left their kingsong factory or garage like that. i’m 2 for 2. 

live and learn. if i ever buy a kingsong again, i’m gonna make the vendor take proof of life pictures of a full charge and while he’s at it, tire pressure reading. if i sold any of these wheels for a living, i’d check every one before i shipped it. i hate to think how much it costs to ship a ks-18s intact. btw, ordered two rolls of coffee colored bumper foam from amazon, really ugly color, looks like baby poop, but was the cheapest, and i’ve been waiting ten days to get it. amazon delivery delivers one roll and i check and sure enough, another roll will be delivered monday. a $5.85 roll. and jeff bezos increased his wealth a billion dollars friday.

Archived