V5 shell removal

Antshark

In an effort to dissemble everything I own, I tried following this video:

I've given up on trying to remove the outer shell on the V5.

How does he remove the outer shell on the V5 so easily? Am I missing something? Is the guy in the video, perhaps, a professional arm wrestler?

5 hours ago, Antshark said:

In an effort to dissemble everything I own, I tried following this video:

How does he remove the outer shell on the V5 so easily? Am I missing something? Is the guy in the video, perhaps, a professional arm wrestler?

Yeah unfortunately it is quite difficult to remove the outer shell, especially the first time. When you manage to disengage the first clip  (3:30 in the video),  insert a plastic lever to keep it from popping back. Do that for every clip you disengage and be careful, otherwise you might get nice pinch on some of your fingers :). Mine held so hard first time I tried, that I had to brake one of the plastic clips to remove the shell, although it does not matter because even the screws alone would be enough to keep the shell tight and secure on the wheel. I remember @Jason McNeil mentioned in one of the threads that he also rarely manages to remove the shell without braking some of the plastic clips, when servicing V5-s. 

I have de-shelled the V5 so many times I've lost count. (linked the English V5 disassembly video below)

The main issue is, this instructional video fails to point out there are 2 shell fasteners (6 in total) near the pedal/exposed wheel that you need to unseat as well.

I always unseat them first, and then work my way up to the middle, then top ones (this step should be pictured before 3:26 in the video where they go for the middle shell fasteners first).

Also, for these bottom 2 fasteners, as they are located in the exposed crevice between wheel and shell, I typically try to feel for them with my fingers, then either unseat with a screwdriver or my finger.

They are located (referencing a clock) 1.) inbetween 4 & 5 o'clock, and 2.) inbetween 7 & 8 o'clock.  You can try to look with a flashlight for the hook ends, but this is more difficult  when your V5 is black, where the outer shell itself and hooks are black, against the black inner shell;... whereas on a white V5, the outer shell hook ends are white against the same black color inner shell, a bit better to spot.

Hope that helps, and be ginger when unseating the plastic shell fasteners!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived