My ACM2 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

7 minutes ago, electricpen said:

Given that my trusty KS16s has a beat up rim and case literally held together by duct tape, I am quite tempted to pick one of these up once Jason gets more in stock... If I replace my KS I will only own gotway wheels though and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

How did your KS16S get into such bad shape :cry2:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

How did your KS16S get into such bad shape :cry2:

The rim damage was described in this thread. I learned how to ride on my KS-16s and I have had a couple pretty spectacular top speed wipeouts when I was learning. The first one didn't do much apparent damage to the wheel but the second time I crashed at over 20 mph the wheel crashed into the sidewalk at full speed and cracked open. I know I could get a new case but the rim problem makes me less inclined to sink more money/time into this wheel and more interested in a new one. Especially given my past gripes about the range and wishing I had a bit more.

12 minutes ago, electricpen said:

The rim damage was described in this thread. I learned how to ride on my KS-16s and I have had a couple pretty spectacular top speed wipeouts when I was learning. The first one didn't do much apparent damage to the wheel but the second time I crashed at over 20 mph the wheel crashed into the sidewalk at full speed and cracked open. I know I could get a new case but the rim problem makes me less inclined to sink more money/time into this wheel and more interested in a new one. Especially given my past gripes about the range and wishing I had a bit more.

Ah yes, now I remember that thread. I can see your desire to cut your loses and enjoy a new wheel. As I just experienced, there's nothing like pulling a new wheel out of a box.

Well, except for quality :blink1:, the ACM2 has everything - power, speed, and great range.

BTW, seeing your KS16S reminds me of this. Have you seen these recent Gotway produced videos?

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:lol:

Well, I have seven nice wheels and only one is a KingSong. I'm surviving :D

Yeah, we all know that quality is nothing for you ;-)

Nice video and comparison, Marty! One question: What is on the rim of the new ACM2?

Are there any inications it is 1900/2000Watt motor? or is it just a serial number like on the Tesla?

I am with you on the Fan they implemented....its just a joke. I would have thought they implemented the tesla board/heatsink into the Acm with the heatsink going through the side of the wheel. So i really hope this small ACM board takes the extra power/other firmware well.

Btw.: This video has made my decison to my last wheel buy plans a lot easier. It reminds me that i dont want mushy/softer pedal setting anymore, so ,NO, i wont buy the used one. I will wait after mid year holiday and make a decision for the 18L or V3s+/2000W then...or whatever pops up then!

Have Fun with your new beauty! I like the looks, the minimum design and small form factor much more than the egg style Tesla. The blue is nice, too!

Thanks Marty for the exhaustive video.

I was very interested in the evolution that the ACM could have had in this new version.

Now I have to admit that I have not been so impressed.

If we list the news, we have:
1) A more powerful engine (and this is clearly THE improvement)
2) A more robust axis (useful if you do a lot of off-road or tricks, even more if you are a "big" wheeler ...)
3) A cooling fan on the motherboard (which had already been seen last year on the improved Korean version, and that however, useful or not, I have already easily added to my ACM)
4) A new front LED, more powerful, presumably the same as Tesla (and this too I have already replaced it, with good results)

(I forgot something?)

So, in the end, I think I will still keep my ACM 1300 84v, which satisfies me completely, waiting for a future wheel that will be a real improvement compared to the current one.

Thanks again for your excellent review.:thumbup:

Very good video!! :efeeb35c09: (And nicely made and edited, too)

• Yep, it's an ACM. The insides look very good for an ACM (and acceptable for a wheel in general), but the motor cables really aren't any thicker than on the old ones? Does the Tesla have a better wire gauge than this?
  • That fan is indeed a joke. I thought you'd get the Tesla heatsink somehow (and the board). Looks like they just put the new motor in and that's pretty much the only hardware change (and that fan). Not sure what I epxected, but my upgrade urge is down at the moment... I just want notably thicker cables.
  • Be careful where the motor cable touches that plastic separator just where it exits the axle. It rubs into the cable, you can already see the indentation. My ACM has a metal protector around the bend for that reason, but I think on the Tesla there's no such thing, so check the plastic doesn't slowly cut into the cable (I think I see that spiral protector in your photo, though).
  • Thanks for the detailed ride mode clarification! So soft and medium are unchanged, and hard is even harder?
  • What happened to your Monster? Lies there with the batteries removed...
  • Your ride at the end goes by your oscillation crash corner:efee8319ab:

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Ah yes, now I remember that thread. I can see your desire to cut your loses and enjoy a new wheel. As I just experienced, there's nothing like pulling a new wheel out of a box.

Well, except for quality :blink1:, the ACM2 has everything - power, speed, and great range.

BTW, seeing your KS16S reminds me of this. Have you seen these recent Gotway produced videos?

I had not seen those videos. I'm a bit surprised at how high of a curb he was able to do that on but yeah if you hit a big crack/bump/dip like this going 20 mph the results look significantly different, unfortunately. His form in the second video is interesting. He is almost sitting on the wheel and holding onto the handle with one hand.

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Yeah, we all know that quality is nothing for you ;-)

Nice video and comparison, Marty! One question: What is on the rim of the new ACM2?

Are there any inications it is 1900/2000Watt motor? or is it just a serial number like on the Tesla?

I am with you on the Fan they implemented....its just a joke. I would have thought they implemented the tesla board/heatsink into the Acm with the heatsink going through the side of the wheel. So i really hope this small ACM board takes the extra power/other firmware well.

Btw.: This video has made my decison to my last wheel buy plans a lot easier. It reminds me that i dont want mushy/softer pedal setting anymore, so ,NO, i wont buy the used one. I will wait after mid year holiday and make a decision for the 18L or V3s+/2000W then...or whatever pops up then!

Have Fun with your new beauty! I like the looks, the minimum design and small form factor much more than the egg style Tesla. The blue is nice, too!

I can't see any markings on the motor. The ACM shell is very close to the motor/tire. If there is any writing it must me closer to the axle and I wouldn't be able to see it.

I hope the board can take the power too, but I still probably won't take this ACM up any extended, steep hill climbs :cry2:

I do like the extra firmness of the Tesla/ACM2/Mten3, but it's not a deal-breaker for me if a wheel doesn't have that 'feature'. I understand your desire though.

I will be having fun with this new wheel. Thanks. And I'm really glad I picked that blue color - it stands out for sure.

3 hours ago, FULspeed said:

Thanks Marty for the exhaustive video.

I was very interested in the evolution that the ACM could have had in this new version.

Now I have to admit that I have not been so impressed.

If we list the news, we have:
1) A more powerful engine (and this is clearly THE improvement)
2) A more robust axis (useful if you do a lot of off-road or tricks, even more if you are a "big" wheeler ...)
3) A cooling fan on the motherboard (which had already been seen last year on the improved Korean version, and that however, useful or not, I have already easily added to my ACM)
4) A new front LED, more powerful, presumably the same as Tesla (and this too I have already replaced it, with good results)

(I forgot something?)

So, in the end, I think I will still keep my ACM 1300 84v, which satisfies me completely, waiting for a future wheel that will be a real improvement compared to the current one.

Thanks again for your excellent review.:thumbup:

You forgot one of the biggest changes - the firmware update. Super hard pedals (no dip, etc) like the Tesla, and the wheel turns off much sooner if the wheel falls. The LED is the Tesla/Mten3 light.

Yeah, the upgrade isn't worth it to everyone. But if you are someone considering their first Gotway 16-inch wheel I think the ACM2 beats the Tesla unless you really prefer the Tesla styling.

38 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Very good video!! :efeeb35c09: (And nicely made and edited, too)

• Yep, it's an ACM. The insides look very good for an ACM (and acceptable for a wheel in general), but the motor cables really aren't any thicker than on the old ones? Does the Tesla have a better wire gauge than this?
  • That fan is indeed a joke. I thought you'd get the Tesla heatsink somehow (and the board). Looks like they just put the new motor in and that's pretty much the only hardware change (and that fan). Not sure what I epxected, but my upgrade urge is down at the moment... I just want notably thicker cables.
  • Be careful where the motor cable touches that plastic separator just where it exits the axle. It rubs into the cable, you can already see the indentation. My ACM has a metal protector around the bend for that reason, but I think on the Tesla there's no such thing, so check the plastic doesn't slowly cut into the cable (I think I see that spiral protector in your photo, though).
  • Thanks for the detailed ride mode clarification! So soft and medium are unchanged, and hard is even harder?
  • What happened to your Monster? Lies there with the batteries removed...
  • Your ride at the end goes by your oscillation crash corner:efee8319ab:

One of the biggest improvements is the new hard mode, just like the Tesla and Mten3. It's huge in my opinion.

The Monster is being torn apart because I finally need to replace the axle shims :crying:

Yeah, I always go a little slow now on that crash corner - can't get myself to hit it hard :unsure:

23 minutes ago, electricpen said:

I had not seen those videos. I'm a bit surprised at how high of a curb he was able to do that on but yeah if you hit a big crack/bump/dip like this going 20 mph the results look significantly different, unfortunately. His form in the second video is interesting. He is almost sitting on the wheel and holding onto the handle with one hand.

I think they were at the end of whatever testing they were doing (I think these were 100-volt Monsters) so they didn't care if the rim got destroyed. Makes for a cool video though.

1 minute ago, electricpen said:

Ok Marty, I caved and am putting a deposit down with Jason for the next incoming shipment. I'm also getting rid of my KS16s so I will only own gotways. I hope you're happy now!

Very funny, and cool. I really think you'll be amazed with the ACM and will wonder what you were thinking by getting the KS16S. Yet maybe it served the purpose of getting your rim damaging riding style out of your system :D

Can't wait to see how you choose to describe the KS16S when you put it up for sale.

P.s. make sure Jason is giving you a trolley handle

Excellent review and ride demo!  I think if I hadn't gotten my Tesla which is still collecting dust in this recent -27°C weather with 2 feet of snow, the ACM2 / V2 / ACM-Tesla hybrid wheel-child would have been my first choice mainly for the comfort.  I bet the ACM is likely similar to the Ninebot One E+ in terms of pressure point on the inner leg which helps make it very maneuverable.  And 55 miles+ is just icing on the cake!  :dribble:

Yeah, I'm getting the trolly handle and fast charger from Jason. I actually do not feel comfortable selling the KS-16s because it is so damaged. I would feel terrible if it broke on someone and they got injured. For that reason, I am retiring it and selling the batteries and control board to Jason and scrapping the rest.

1 hour ago, electricpen said:

Yeah, I'm getting the trolly handle and fast charger from Jason. I actually do not feel comfortable selling the KS-16s because it is so damaged. I would feel terrible if it broke on someone and they got injured. For that reason, I am retiring it and selling the batteries and control board to Jason and scrapping the rest.

That's great that Jason is helping in that way. I do suspect that you would had a hard time finding a buyer.

That lessons the sting of buying a new wheel like the ACM.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Excellent review and ride demo!  I think if I hadn't gotten my Tesla which is still collecting dust in this recent -27°C weather with 2 feet of snow, the ACM2 / V2 / ACM-Tesla hybrid wheel-child would have been my first choice mainly for the comfort.  I bet the ACM is likely similar to the Ninebot One E+ in terms of pressure point on the inner leg which helps make it very maneuverable.  And 55 miles+ is just icing on the cake!  :dribble:

Thanks. The Tesla is still a great wheel but I agree that the ACM is more comfy on the legs.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Can't wait to see how you choose to describe the KS16S when you put it up for sale.

I am learning volumes from you and other members on how to best describe my wheels that will soon be for sale. Someone is already interested in my KS16S. We all take big monetary losses but that is to expected. 

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I am learning volumes from you and other members on how to best describe my wheels that will soon be for sale. Someone is already interested in my KS16S. We all take a big monetary loss but that is to expected. 

It will truly be a sad day when I see your wheels actually up for sale :(

29 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I am learning volumes from you and other members on how to best describe my wheels that will soon be for sale. Someone is already interested in my KS16S. We all take big monetary losses but that is to expected. 

When you sell the wheel I expect to see some ambiguous phrases like "Riding a wheel like this will make you quiver. My wife can't recommend it highly enough! It's perfect for a down-to-earth person. The ideal rider is someone with a lot of guts who's not afraid to show them. With this wheel you'll experience brisk acceleration and very snappy deceleration."

37 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

When you sell the wheel I expect to see some ambiguous phrases like "Riding a wheel like this will make you quiver. My wife can't recommend it highly enough! It's perfect for a down-to-earth person. The ideal rider is someone with a lot of guts who's not afraid to show them. With this wheel you'll experience brisk acceleration and very snappy deceleration."

This is the funniest post of the year I think. :roflmao:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

It will truly be a sad day when I see your wheels actually up for sale :(

You along with everyone that has reached out with thoughtful comments have helped me endure this emotional time in my life . It is going to be extremely tough. There are no words. Unfortunately I’m facing months of rehabilitation without a definitive positive outcome. My wife, family and staff will also have to endure the process. I have never traveled down this road before but thankfully I’m still vertical. Hopefully I will be able to continue in my practice without the need of assistance in the future. Time will tell. 

Archived