KS18S Speed Unlock now 200k down from 1000k

Master Blaster

I was updating my firmware on both my 16S and 18S today via the newest King Song App and had a nice surprise.  Listed among the firmware changes was a line item stating they have now lowered the required speed unlock distance down from the previous 1,000km to a much more reasonable 200km.  To my understanding this would be inline with the new 18L model that will be coming to market in the next few months.

I was very pleased about this as I now have a bit over 700km on my 18S and am glad I don’t have to wait to unlock speed settings from 40 to 50 km/h.  Not that I am a speed demon per say, but on nice smooth pavement I do get my beep warning that can get a little annoying at times, now I won’t be bumping up against the warning so much.

I did verify through the new App after upgrading the firmware to version 1.04 that I no longer have the 40km/h speed restriction and was able to move the tilt back speed slider up to 50km/h as well as my number three speed warning now can be adjusted up from the previous limit of 40.

I think this is a good move on King Song’s part as the 1,000 km requirement was excessive and may pose as a deterrent to some buyers.

92091CF4-D18E-42E6-B6F0-516F084F30E6.png

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

@Master Blaster nice! thanks for the FYI.

I've been exclusively riding my KS18S to get to 1,000km, now up to 300km, but looks like I can stop neglecting my other wheels now, hooray!

@houseofjob, please update this thread after trying this fix.  I.e. Please confirm or deny the fix in actual application.

2 minutes ago, duaner said:

@houseofjob, please update this thread after trying this fix.  I.e. Please confirm or deny the fix in actual application.

Sure thing. So far so good, I was able to set alarm/tiltback to 50kph just as @Master Blaster has.

Will take some time for me to actually ride 50kph, as I am distrustful of wheels post-firmware update.

Just got back from test run, works just fine, I blew by the 40km/h mark with no speed warning or tilt back. I have the number 1 and 2 warnings turned off, and number 3 set at 48km/h with the tilt back set at 50 km/h.

You have to use the new app, not the old green and black one (I kept both on my Android phone just in case) - just follow the instrictions posted in the thread “New firmware Kingsong Ks-16S” for finding and installing the new app.......

Try this link from KingSong's chinese Website for the latest Release of the new App: http://www.kswheel.cn/list-28.html

Once I had the new KS App loaded the firmware upgrade only took about 3 to 5 minutes - piece of cake, except you have to create a KS account in the new App to get this working if you don't already have one, no big deal.

35 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Just got back from test run, works just fine, I blew by the 40km/h mark with no speed warning or tilt back. I have the number 1 and 2 warnings turned off, and number 3 set at 48km/h with the tilt back set at 50 km/h.

You have to use the new app, not the old green and black one (I kept both on my Android phone just in case) - just follow the instrictions posted in the KS16 S firmware upgrade that is a few posts down the KS list of threads - It's the same basic procedure spelled out there.

Once I had the new KS App loaded the firmware upgrade only took about 3 to 5 minutes - piece of cake, except you have to create a KS account in the new App to get this working if you don't already have one, no big deal.

Test velocity and firmware with ks16s or with ks 18?

thanks

Although I mentioned that the firmware upgrade is the same procedure mentioned in another thread here for the 16S, as far as the speed unlock we are talking about here is concerned we are referring to the speed restriction unlock for the 18S which was formerly locked until the 18S reached 1,000 km......now that has been lowered with the new firmware upgrade to just 200 km for the KS 18S - sorry if by mentioning the 16S I created any confusion.

Here is a screen shot of my speed settings in the new KS App for the 18S after I did the firmware update (1.04) and with approximately 730 km on my 18S (less than the old requirement of 1,000km).  Although the sliders go up to 60 km/h you can only use 50 km/h or less, anything above 50 km/h set on the sliders will obviously not save to the Wheel.

81DB2418-23C0-4F05-B0FE-733D3E828D32.png

42 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Although I mentioned that the firmware upgrade is the same procedure mentioned in another thread here for the 16S, as far as the speed unlock we are talking about here is concerned we are referring to the speed restriction unlock for the 18S which was formerly locked until the 18S reached 1,000 km......now that has been lowered with the new firmware upgrade to just 200 km for the KS 18S - sorry if by mentioning the 16S I created any confusion.

Thanks 

Thats a nice move from KS!

Btw.:

One of the advantages of KS....upgradable wheel firmware! Your wheel gets better over time :-)

On my older Ks18A the motor driver/wheel behaviour has got a lot better over the firmware updates!

Will be interesting if more is coming for the 14/16/18S :-)

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Thats a nice move from KS!

Btw.:

One of the advantages of KS....upgradable wheel firmware! Your wheel gets better over time :-)

On my older Ks18A the motor driver/wheel behaviour has got a lot better over the firmware updates!

Will be interesting if more is coming for the 14/16/18S :-)

And yet over the same period of time the riders get older and worser!  Doesn't seem fair to me :huh:

I just got clocked at 32 mph on my way to the Rose Bowl yesterday with the new firmware. Feels very solid now above 25mph. The firmware seems to have fixed an anomolous oscilation that could inspire the wobbles when going downhill or at fast speeds.

This thing rides like an old Cadillac or Lincoln Continental. Just cruising at 25mph feels so smooth and effortless now. The seated position is getting easier to manage along winding trails too. 

I will post a quick vid of the radar sign getting my speed on the road. I wonder if the 1000km idea was to give KS time to polish the firmware to make the wheel more stable! ?

Glad they did as you can see below...

2 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I just got clocked at 32 mph on my way to the Rose Bowl yesterday with the new firmware. Feels very solid now above 25mph. The firmware seems to have fixed an anomolous oscilation that could inspire the wobbles when going downhill or at fast speeds.

This thing rides like an old Cadillac or Lincoln Continental. Just cruising at 25mph feels so smooth and effortless now. The seated position is getting easier to manage along winding trails too. 

I will post a quick vid of the radar sign getting my speed on the road. I wonder if the 1000km idea was to give KS time to polish the firmware to make the wheel more stable! ?

Nice try, but we all know that there was a car overtaking you from behind ;)

I guess you're be leaving me behind in the dust in our next group ride, because I have no intention of ever riding faster then ~25-mph. BTW, you missed a nice ride yesterday :)

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, you missed a nice ride yesterday :)

If my Director and Lawyer werent on east coast time I wouldve been on that ride by the time they called. I was just loading up the car when they called. I thought it was you guys saying it was too cold (59° is cold for Southern Cal. :rolleyes:) . The contracts are signed now, so no further escuses. 

Yeah, I really wanted to scout out those trails before I start the quest for a "EUC across the City" Honor role for the Forum. We need to inspire more people to accomplish tasks to raise participation and awareness. We can list the City navigation maps in another place on the forum for travelers or fanatics. ?

Oh and there was a giant dump truck pretty far behind me, but I passed them at the last Stop sign. I did get passed by an old Toyota mini van from the 90's just when I was thinking I was going fast. Lol perspective means a lot. ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 8:26 AM, Stan Onymous said:

Awesome! Now we just need them to upgrade another 10kmph! 

I want to do 40mph on a wheel! Crazy?

Obviously! ?

You could try the registration with your number and the chinese country code. I had to do this with one of my Inmotions and it worked. Sometimes the default is China for the country code and we forget to check it being too much in a rush to get the stupid process over with. :furious: .  Maybe thats just me.

19 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

You could try the registration with your number and the chinese country code. I had to do this with one of my Inmotions and it worked. Sometimes the default is China for the country code and we forget to check it being too much in a rush to get the stupid process over with. :furious: .  Maybe thats just me.

Thanks for the suggestion.. however you can see in the screen capture I did use the correct country code, and I got a valid code back from them.. (that was a first)

however, it still failed from that point. Am I supposed to enter a password at that point? It seems so, so I did (a strong one) and it failed.. (so I went thru the procedure again with a simple password to ensure I wasn’t breaking password rules) failed again. ????

Archived