Wimbledon / Richmond / SW London UK

Migmonowheel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am in Brentford quite near to Richmond. New to the Electric Unicycle scene but learning fast. Hoping to get out in the summer. Riding a upgraded Ninebot One E and S2. I was also wondering if we had a community around West London? 

1 hour ago, Esvy said:

Hi, I am in Brentford quite near to Richmond. New to the Electric Unicycle scene but learning fast. Hoping to get out in the summer. Riding a upgraded Ninebot One E and S2. I was also wondering if we had a community around West London? 

I'm in Hyde Park most weekends.....although for obvious reasons not last or this weekend! Come along sometime. 

Get a lot of electric skateboarders around too.

Im in Hampshire but happy to travel up to SW London, pretty easy trip for me so would be glad to meet up once the weather gets a bit warmer :) I knowWimbledon pretty well, used to work there a long while ago.

Ive been to the EUC group meet ups in central London and met up with the electric skateboard bunch too, really nice guys. One day ill make it to Hyde Park with @Paddylaz ...:D

I'm in Bromley, not far in miles but schlepping across south London is a PITA.  But, sure, once the weather picks up a bit, I'll head that way, if I'm still in country.  I don't do the Hyde Park thing because I'm always at the coast on weekends. Great, traffic-free riding with sea views.

IMG_0873

I must confess that the last 6 points on licence for no insurance on an EUC was at Wimbledon Magistrates court, and the Magistrate basically suggested the guy was a prat for not knowing this was the case (he obviously hasn’t seen the Uniwheel website or Facebook pages). 

That has rather put me off going anywhere near Wimbledon (or near a PC) at the moment. Ironic when the negative publicity around Hoverboards was a possible £50 fine for breaking the 1835 highways act. Even more ironic, the guy was on a 10MPH Airwheel so way slower than a (completely legal without insurance) electric bike!

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Doesn’t  @Jonathan Tolhurst live nearby?

A few miles towards town from me.  that skate park (Bromley) where he made a video is a short ride from me.  I took a wheel up there the other day.  I tried some of the ramps just for fun.  I even rode up one that is essentially a quarter pipe about 4 feet tall with the wall vertical at the top.  Somehow the wheel and I ended up on top, but not together.  I might try it again one day and try and ride it all the way to the top surface this time. Riding up a vertical wall is freakish to say the least.  And no, I'm not sure why we don't ride together, other than, this is a highly concentrated urban area without the wide open spaces of So. Cal. Or any Cal. for that matter.  A group ride around here would look like a game of Frogger George Costanza style , complete with the inevitable result.   

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Arriving Saturday afternoon, flying out on Monday morning, so it will just be the one day really.

Wow, A whistle-stop visit.  Snow on the ground tomorrow, rain expected Sunday to wednesday.  Not good wheeling weather.The last person I knew who had an itinerary like that was a drug dealer.  Do you need to be picked up from the airport?

18 minutes ago, Smoother said:

A group ride around here would look like a game of Frogger George Costanza style , complete with the inevitable result.   

Great recall. So funny!

Hey guys,

just joined the board! The content on here is great. So awesome to find friendly EUC lovers.

Currently riding an inMotion V8 in E London. If anyone would like to ride am definitely up for it! Especially now this snow has calmed down

On 3/5/2018 at 9:45 PM, Siggy said:

Hey guys,

just joined the board! The content on here is great. So awesome to find friendly EUC lovers.

Currently riding an inMotion V8 in E London. If anyone would like to ride am definitely up for it! Especially now this snow has calmed down

Welcome. Why Don't you get us up to speed, and tell us a little about How you got into EUCs, when, why a V8, any other wheels, etc, where you ride, what you ride for, etc.  We all kinda know about each other over time, reading posts.  You, we (sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes, voice) "know nutting" -almost nothing.

23 hours ago, Smoother said:

Welcome. Why Don't you get us up to speed, and tell us a little about How you got into EUCs, when, why a V8, any other wheels, etc, where you ride, what you ride for, etc.  We all kinda know about each other over time, reading posts.  You, we (GT. Schults from Hogan's Heroes, voice) "know nutting" -almost nothing.

Hey!

Long story short, I saw someone with an electric scooter inside a local supermarket. However, scooters felt somewhat childish to me. Did some research and found EUCs. 

YouTube videos really helped my choice: TheTopher and electricunicycles.eu were great. The inMotion was seemed reliable - good speed and range - and was easily acquirable w/o huge shipping. I purchased 2.

I ride in London. I plan for my V8 to fully replace my use of public transport for journeys less than 1 hour. Still got a lot to learn though so excited.

What about you smoother how have your EUC experiences been so far - you seem to have a ton of experience on this board, which is great!

So for me my story began when I came across someone who was having a garage clear out and they had what I now know to be a Ninebot one E. They did not think it had any value or if it was even working so I got this for next to nothing. I had always been intriuged about EUC's and as curious as I am I took it apart to investigate and realised it did not have a battery but was in good condition and came with extra panels and tyres/tubes but no charger. I looked around online and manage to get some advice and then took a punt on buying a battery and charger. The battery was ex display stock and the upgraded 340kw version which I am really glad about now. A little surprised but optimistic the unit came alive once the new battery had been installed. For some peace of mind I have this checked out by a Ninebot dealer after as it had quite some miles on it but works extremely well.  I am using this as my training wheel but have also bought a Ninebot One S2.My training is coming along nicely. I have been riding a motorbike for the last 6 years and hold a adavnce license, although very different to a EUC I am hoping to tranfer some of my training skill I have learnt in the past. Hoping to meet up with some of you real soon.      

On 3/7/2018 at 10:50 AM, Siggy said:

What about you smoother how have your EUC experiences been so far - you seem to have a ton of experience on this board, which is great!

I was on a 5 month trip around Provence, and Spain, and decided I would like something electrified to make sightseeing more enjoyable and less drudgery.  Thought about an eBike but wanted something less Ma and Pa kettle-ish.  Had seen an EUC here and there back in the UK, so you tubed it and decided on a King Song 14c.  Didn't actually discover this forum until after my wheel arrived from Germany. Needed to find out how to protect my ankles from the sharp battery compartments (lots of good advice and help).  Started my self-taught training in France, then motored down to Spain to continue. Rode about 1,000 miles all over the east coast of Spain from Barcelona to the Mar Menor and Murcia. Came back to the UK last March.  Not much riding here, except beach cruising in Whitstable, and mostly Eastbourne and Brighton (Beachy Head is a lot of fun, yes, even close to the edge!).  I wheel for fun, not for travel, and rarely glide with traffic. Bought a 16s because KS Poland had a sale.  Didn't need it, then two weeks later the 14c axle snapped, so then I did need it.  That's serendipity I guess. @Rehab1 had a spare axle from his wife's drowned 14c and he will be shipping that to me soon.  More serendipity. In town I only wheel to visit friends and family and go shopping.  Beach trip anyone?

@Esvy That sounds awesome. Ninebot was a good find! It's cool you have motorbike exp. too. Funny thing is whilst looking at protective gear for EUCs I've been leaning more towards motorbikes. Just haven't been able to pull the trigger. Oddly enough I think their more dangerous than EUCs - but who knows if my opinion my change ;)

@Smoother  eBikes are definitely Ma and Pa ish. That's one reason why I didn't go that route. Not that old yet.

Havent had the chance to go beach cruising yet! Sounds like a good idea. I bet Whistable way must have had some awesome views. Beats riding down the Thames any day!

43 minutes ago, Siggy said:

@Esvy That sounds awesome. Ninebot was a good find! It's cool you have motorbike exp. too. Funny thing is whilst looking at protective gear for EUCs I've been leaning more towards motorbikes. Just haven't been able to pull the trigger. Oddly enough I think their more dangerous than EUCs - but who knows if my opinion my change ;)

@Smoother  eBikes are definitely Ma and Pa ish. That's one reason why I didn't go that route. Not that old yet.

Havent had the chance to go beach cruising yet! Sounds like a good idea. I bet Whistable way must have had some awesome views. Beats riding down the Thames any day!

I actually use some of my motorbiking gear on the EUC and its works great. Just cant find the right size scooter helmet and they are all massive on me including the small size's .

Motorbiking is actually safe its the crazy people on the road that you have to watch out for. Unlike parts of Europe the UK is not use too looking out for bikers and that's where the problem is. I cant wait till we see electric vehicles including EUC roaming around the UK like they do in China. My only concern right now is where we currently stand from a legal point. I certainly want to be an advocate for the use of EUC's. 

I have not had many offs on the EUC but to be honest I have been using a strap for most of my riding which has worked a charm but I am slowly moving away from it. I do recommend this for newbies but don't pull on it too much just use it as a safety net for your machine more than a balancing tool.

As the beach is some distance away for me I''ll have to settle for the Thames for now. :<)

20 hours ago, Esvy said:

I actually use some of my motorbiking gear on the EUC and its works great. Just cant find the right size scooter helmet and they are all massive on me including the small size's .

Motorbiking is actually safe its the crazy people on the road that you have to watch out for. Unlike parts of Europe the UK is not use too looking out for bikers and that's where the problem is. I cant wait till we see electric vehicles including EUC roaming around the UK like they do in China. My only concern right now is where we currently stand from a legal point. I certainly want to be an advocate for the use of EUC's. 

I have not had many offs on the EUC but to be honest I have been using a strap for most of my riding which has worked a charm but I am slowly moving away from it. I do recommend this for newbies but don't pull on it too much just use it as a safety net for your machine more than a balancing tool.

As the beach is some distance away for me I''ll have to settle for the Thames for now. :<)

I agree about the strap. It see it as a safety device for OTHERS around you. Almost like a social responsibility, so that the wheel doesn't go flying full face at people or cars. Otherwise wed have to get insured to ride these things. Then I may as well be riding a moto. Could you imagine the media overblown outrage: 

"Man attacks car with robo hoover missile object thingy - all electronics set to be banned" etc etc.

Im no legal expert but I believe were too fast for the pavement in CBDs and they're too populated. We should be seen on the same level as cyclists. Thankfully they have done most of the work for us in terms of Cycle superhighways and all drivers being more "cautious" when bicycles are on the road. 

Archived