New Gotway MCM5, 14" Picture

Why can't Gotway make a ~800wh 14-inch wheel? I so much wanted to like this, but it's never going to compete with my 35+ mile KS14S.

I can now see that they probably never will :crying:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Why can't Gotway make a ~800wh 14-inch wheel? I so much wanted to like this, but it's never going to compete with my 35+ mile KS14S.

Yeah, Tec-Toys sells an MCM3 with a bigger battery than these MCM5s, 680wh, for $650. Not to mention the bigger 1200 W motor is going to use a lot more juice. I'm guessing 17-18 miles for the biggest battery version of the MCM5 (650wh?). The 680wh MCM3 only gets like 19-22 miles, I believe.

https://tec-toyz.com/products/gotway-mcm3-high-speed-version?variant=15657882883

3 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Not to mention the bigger 1200 W motor is going to use a lot more juice.

Not necessarily, power usage should more or less stay the same for the same situations, maybe the higher powered motor is a liiiiittle bit less efficient, but that should be it.

One could argue though that the smallest battery version (210 Wh = 1P) can barely produce the 1200W the motor nominally has (would have to be over 14A, which is a lot, to get to 1200W), and the second smallest version (420 = 2P, twice the current) can barely get to the motor's max power (which usually is about twice nominal), so these small batteries are the real limitation.

650Wh is fine though, but looks like those are 2200mAh cells, they could have used 3500mAh cells and got to 1035Wh like with the Tesla without any extra weight or space needs! Just price:-) Whyyyyyyyy:facepalm:

TLDR: Agree with the battery complaints, manufacturers never seem to learn that people want bigger battery options.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

650Wh is fine though, but looks like those are 2200mAh cells, they could have used 3500mAh cells and got to 1035Wh like with the Tesla without any extra weight or space needs! Just price:-) Whyyyyyyyy

650Wh are 2900mah cells.

20S3P: 72V x 2900mah x3 = 650wh

So we can exspect a 800wh Version later, which uses the 3500mah cells. Gotway often starts only with the 2900mah cell 18650PF, i(ACM 1300wh is a good example, the 1600wh came later) guess in this case here it is especially because to have low "Crownfunding" prices, lol!

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

See my post above...it sure will come later!

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

See my post above...it sure will come later!

They never released a larger MCM4. But time will tell I guess.

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

i think this design could look good if it was just rounded 

instead of these red air vents if it was totally rounded and flat and carbon fiber then it would look good

l agree... If they changed the look of this wheel, it would be much better! 

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

They never released a larger MCM4. But time will tell I guess.

There have been MCM4 with 840wh....just not on your market, usa.

As the mcm5 also has 60 Cells now, it would be no problem to do a 800wh version. On the start they always go with the lower cells, as they are cheaper

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

There have been MCM4 with 840wh....just not on your market, usa.

As the mcm5 also has 60 Cells now, it would be no problem to do a 800wh version. On the start they always go with the lower cells, as they are cheaper

Good to know. But if it's not available where I live, does it really exist?  If they never made the 840wh version of the MCM4 available in the United States market, will they make one for the MCM5? Again, time will tell but I'm not optimistic.

But I like that you keep defending Gotway ;)

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good to know. But if it's not available where I live, does it really exist?  If they never made the 840wh version of the MCM4 available in the United States market, will they make one for the MCM5? Again, time will tell but I'm not optimistic.

But I like that you keep defending Gotway ;)

I guess that is just a question of demand. You remember how it was with the ACM? First they only offered the 1300wh version (2900mah cell)....and later on the 1600wh version with the 3500mah cells also got available-everywhere. i bet latest after their "crownfunding" ;-) the best version 800wh will be available. Its probably just saving money on this hot price offer.

Like you i am only biased to a certain point...but not blind ;-)

40 km/hr, or 25 mph

Autonomy Announced 35 km (420wh) 55 km (650wh)
Maximum speed 25 km / h, unbridgeable 40km / h after 200km
Drums Sony Lithium Ion - Panassonic
Loading time 3 Hours (420wh) 5H (650wh)
Max Loads 100 KG
Engine power 1500W (nominal power)
Dimensions 519 mm (H) x 411 mm (L) x 266 mm (thickness)
Weight 16 KG
Slope max 25 °
Guarantee 2 YEARS
tires 14 inches

17 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

40 km/hr, or 25 mph

Autonomy Announced 35 km (420wh) 55 km (650wh)
Maximum speed 25 km / h, unbridgeable 40km / h after 200km
Drums Sony Lithium Ion - Panassonic
Loading time 3 Hours (420wh) 5H (650wh)
Max Loads 100 KG
Engine power 1500W (nominal power)
Dimensions 519 mm (H) x 411 mm (L) x 266 mm (thickness)
Weight 16 KG
Slope max 25 °
Guarantee 2 YEARS
tires 14 inches

sounds pretty fast for a 14 inch :D 

Strange that the max hill incline is 25 degrees, same as the earlier MCMs with 50% less powerful motor. The motor must be "geared" for high speed rather than high torque.

A high torque MCM5 would be pretty sweet too

The MCM5 from Gotway adopts a new shell without cushions whose design will not necessarily be unanimous, but which presents some good ideas of design. The brand has provided an integrated trolley, invisible when folded. There are also air intakes on both sides of the hull to cool the components and help the fans dissipate heat. Gotway has chosen large grip-covered pedals positioned 12 cm above the ground and offers automatic stopping as soon as the wheel is lifted off the ground.

On the engine side, Gotway therefore announces a nominal power of 1500W which would bring the wheel to almost 50 Km / h and should guarantee good crossing capacity. Not surprisingly, the operation in terms of beeps and tiltback should be similar to that of the other wheels of the brand. For the battery, the MCM5 remains relatively wise, since the maximum capacity announced by the manufacturer is 650 Wh, which is supposed to provide a range of 30 to 50 km depending on the conditions and weight of the driver. In this configuration, the wheel weighs about 16.9 Kg.

Depending on the success and the demands of the market, we can certainly imagine that Gotway later decided to propose a more enduring model, but the positioning, both in the look and in the features, is clearly not that of a major road. Tesla type (16 inches) or MSuper. It is also likely that the wheel is not completely sealed in the factory, since the brand does not communicate about any possible resistance to water

The Gotway MCM5 is still a promising wheel, especially if it does not suffer reliability problems found on other older models. Gotway indicates that it has reworked its copy electrically with new capacitors and components of better quality, but it will be necessary to wait for the first disassembly and user feedback to judge. The engine of the MCM5 would also be silent.

It is already referenced in some traders like Eroue or Gyroroue-Shop, without indication at the moment as to the price. The first copies are expected to arrive during the month of April, but we know that the new wheels are rarely punctual ... especially since Gotway is looking to sell its first batch of live production. To do this, the brand offers a significant discount to those who agree to pay their wheel in advance, but must agree to pay through a Western Union transfer ... This strange operation however has the merit of revealing a semblance of indicative public price which would be around 1100 dollars for a MCM5 650 Wh.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://gyronews.com/gotway-mcm5-14-pouces-1500w-1419/&prev=search

"The cooling system seems quite logical, and protects the pcb from the penetration of water, a tunnel fed by the air intakes crosses the wheel horizontally, and the three ventilators extract the hot air downwards, in the tunnel, there is little chance that water penetrating through the gills can go back to the pcb. it reminds me of the cooling logic of Dell's old XPS towers. The look is quite successful, like flying saucer married to a fighter plane., But for reliability, then wait and see."

Archived