Catching air?

I have told myself I'm definitely NOT jumping curbs with my machine, but as I grow more comfortable with speed I was very surprised to have caught some air last weekend (or maybe just the wheel spun out).

Amazingly, this was going slightly up hill on a sidewalk ramp at full speed. The ramp was covered with sand on it that the construction crew had placed for some brick placement. I have gone over that ramp probably a couple dozen times, but evidently not at full speed. It wasn't much, but enough to let me know something was different....just enough for the wheel to lose grip with the sidewalk and tilt sideways at the apex.

So, at my weight, I am left wondering if the wheel just spun out with the sand, as my weight shifted up, or if I really caught any air.

Are there any videos, examples, data of catching air on a KS16S or similar at ~20mph on a ramp?

• 2 weeks later...

i had one tank slap during my motorcycle phase of my life and i managed to stay upright. thought for sure i was going down. i think what caused that was my front tire leaving the asphalt pointed in the direction of travel but reuniting with the asphalt at a slightly skewed angle relating to direction of travel. the forks and the steering damper were suppose to absorb these minor deviations. i’ve already hit a small deviation in my road, like a tree root pushing up on the asphalt making a speed bump and me catching air, more like a bonce from my max inflated ks-18s tire(it is bouncy)going only 20kph or less. if for that brief moment i twisted the wheel out of the direction of travel, i would imagine i would come down in a wobble. i’d have a hard time convincing myself to ride at night at any kind of speed. i’ve escaped disaster on my harley many times things could have gone badly. muffler pipes, landscaper’s loading ramps, pvc falling off trucks, etc. i’m wondering if that might have been the cause of @Rehab1 bad wobble accident. i know i’m just starting out, but i am amazed of how much computing power ur brain uses when learning to ride these things. u can’t think ur way thru it, but u do have to “blank” ur mind for me to do it. when i have a brain fart, start daydreaming, i get sideways. kinda like hovering or flying rc helis.

Ok, so I will take that as some confirmation of catching air, though I have not hit a bump like that yet to send me upward.

As far as being careful, I agree. I love riding at night, but definitely have to take it slower. On one of my well known paths, when I was riding 2 wheel electric scooters one night...I ran into a tree that was downed, from some car hitting it! At night, it turns out, trees are very hard to see on a black asphalt path!

Yeah, man. I caught air last weekend during the group ride. I was riding between anchors and a metal railing. It was dark but there was nothing between the railing and the anchor so I kept going between them. Of course, I start telling the Boosted Board to ride within his comfort zone because the rest of the guys are crazy and then boom, huge bracket between the anchor and the metal railing. It launched me up and I lost balance. Wheel hit the metal railing so hard that Reny thought it was busted. I hit the ground and rolled and rolled. Thank goodness it was a Kingsong. I got up and bled pretty good (I have pictures) but it still worked. I've still got a nasty road rash and my hamstring is still messed up almost a week later. I was going probably 14-16 mph. There's video that a Onewheeler took with his helmet cam. He's offered it to me but I've been declining, lol. I probably went about a foot or two in the air. I can ask.

37 minutes ago, outcast00096 said:

Yeah, man. I caught air last weekend during the group ride. I was riding between anchors and a metal railing. It was dark but there was nothing between the railing and the anchor so I kept going between them. Of course, I start telling the Boosted Board to ride within his comfort zone because the rest of the guys are crazy and then boom, huge bracket between the anchor and the metal railing. It launched me up and I lost balance. Wheel hit the metal railing so hard that Reny thought it was busted. I hit the ground and rolled and rolled. Thank goodness it was a Kingsong. I got up and bled pretty good (I have pictures) but it still worked. I've still got a nasty road rash and my hamstring is still messed up almost a week later

Sounds like your lucky. Glad you came out of it with just road rash. Hopefully the pulled hamstring is just a minor injury  Ice it up!

40 minutes ago, outcast00096 said:

There's video that a Onewheeler took with his helmet cam. He's offered it to me but I've been declining, lol. I probably went about a foot or two in the air. I can ask.

@onewheeler you have a crowd of moviegoers patiently waiting  :popcorn:

• 2 months later...

I took a bad spill with my ol Tesla. Sped up to a pretty decent speed because I felt comfortable. I left the curb still accelerating, was in mid air for at least 1-2 seconds. This caused the wheel to spin up before I hit the ground. When I made contact, the wheel lurched forward, I lost balance, I over compensated my lean forward to stay on my wheel, took a big dive forward, and my wheel went bouncing along the road.

Never again will I do this. I strongly recommend that no one attempt it either. The crash bent the peddle and scraped up the case pretty badly. Snapped the screws on the side panels. and destroyed the foam pad. Luckily I did not get that hurt. Just a few scrapes on my palms from not wearing my gloves that were in my bag.

I've noted not all ADA compliant sidewalk ramps are at the same grade, so I've started slowing down just a bit when I get to one.

At 20mph I can reproduce the air. Just a slight jump, but noticeable.

Archived