Rehab1´s accident(s)

Rehab1

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I just finished drying my eyes after finding a brochure called Pathways in my hospital take home bag. The brochure titled: ‘Tissue Donation Thank You Letter Program’ contains a heartwarming message along with archive numbers that assists the host company in locating  my donor’s identity.  

Wow, that sounds awesome. I have twice gotten cadaver bone for a dental implant but they didn't offer anything like that. I would have gladly done it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Smoother said:

Glad you came out the other side Dan.  Wow, you're like a war correspondent, reporting form a live war zone.  The bullets keep flying but you keep reporting; WITH ONE ARM!!!.  What does your wife think of your continued use of the forum?  Is she pissed, or understanding, knowing that we are now one of your support groups? 

My wife is fine with the forum but never wants me to ride again. I’m planning to put the wheels up for sale. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

You absolutly have to stay here on the Forum!!!

Just a reminder for all others:

Rehab1 is the guy which make the first EUC Talent challenge happen....he even throwed in the Prices!

He also was the one who had the idea to "Patrion" for a member which out of bad luck has no wheel anymore....

He did so much things that make this Forum a nicer and more social place , i cant even count them all :-)

Thank you for your kind thoughts and comments! They made my day!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

My wife is fine with the forum but never wants me to ride again. I’m planning to put the wheels up for sale. 

I still say give it time, but I understand.

The Mten3 does seem like a wheel that you could still enjoy without having to worry about speed. Then again I wonder, can your repaired shoulder (after fully healed) take the abuse of another minor fall (a typical tumble). I don't know what the limitations are once you have all of the metal installed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Or else?

There's always a penalty when someone's interests are contrary to your own. If you follow their wishes then the penalty is you forgo something that is rewarding in some way, and if you follow your own then the penalty is you irritate them.

So if you go ahead and ride a wheel, then what's the penalty? Suppose you also add a blow habit, and drink and carouse your black guts out. Would that be worse?

My observation is that the man who drinks, smokes, engages in nefarious behavior, balances on some absurd vehicle, and can dance or throw a chin-high left hook is greatly respected and desired over the responsible man. The responsible man might live longer, though.

Do your employees give you tribute? They should if they respect you. Speeches, get well cards, booty from Britannia...

When someone says to you "no" then always ask "or else?" Tally up the cost and benefits, then make your decision.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I was involved in 2 helicopter accidents

Are you insane man?!! Helicopters are death traps.  Thank God you calmed down and JUST ride rode EUCs ;) .

But seriously, it's only right you heed your wife's wishes on this matter, your livelihood and physical health are irrevocably intertwined, and it sounds like she's worried enough already.  How about a motorbike? :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Oh and also nominate your wife for sainthood. :D

Yes she is a true saint to me in both sickness and in health. 

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

But seriously, it's only right you heed your wife's wishes on this matter, your livelihood and physical health are irrevocably intertwined, and it sounds like she's worried enough already.  How about a motorbike? :D

Yes you are exactly correct. If this were a minor accident my wife would not have an issue.  Never in my wildest dreams would I have envisioned an accident of this magnitude. I do own a Harley that received very little attention  last year along with many unfinished projects. Will they satisfy the void? Never. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Many thanks for your comments. Unfortunately to begin assessing the risk and learning from it I first need to know what caused the uncontrollable wobble. I plan to walk the bike trail in a few weeks to see if there are any tree roots growing beneath the pavement that I may have hit on the ACM. 

I finally went out this morning to examine the ACM’s damage. The shell took a beating. 

26276881448_229fc0ec74_b.jpg

That is impressive, which shows the speeds involved. Look forward to more of your investigative reporting.

Bummer that this is really going to affect your sale price. Maybe if you include a pamphlet with your injury photos (and don't clean any blood off the wheel if you bled on it) you can turn it into a Special Wheel sale and recoup some of your medical expenses. Yeah, I think that'll work :unsure: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IPS Malta said:

I personally thank you for sharing your experience and hope it will be valuable to others in assessing the cost of using an EUC in a particular way.

I will do my best as I do not want anyone else to go through this. I know the general vacinity where the accident happened which was across from a hospital of all places. I wished I had the wherewithal at the time to mark the exact spot.

As for safety I may have broke a few rules:

1) Never ride fast on unfamilar roads or paths

2) Ride slower at dusk when shadows are projected onto your riding path possibly obscuring uneven or rough surfaces. 

2 hours ago, IPS Malta said:

Mentioning your accidents in a helicopter at some point, helicopters are similar to euc... that if it fails you're down, but if you're skillful you know how to use your roator and changing the rotor direction will actually glide a helicopter down

Your speaking of autorotation. The blades actually do not  reverse. The main rotor blades are placed into a negative pitch angle by the pilots’s intuitive action which keeps the blades spinning during the emergency ride down. About 10 feet before touching the ground a positive pitch angle is reintroduced into the spinning blades along with a significant  backward flare of the helicopter by the pilot. The aircraft once again becomes airborne with enough lift and rotor inertia to landed safely. Unfortunately both helicopters I was flying landed on unlevel terrain which caught the skids and tipped the craft over. You then hear and feel one big thud as the main rotor blades hit the ground. Time to quickly exit the cab with a fire extinguisher in hand to put out any area flames once outside. I did continue flying for a few years up until my son died. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Bummer

I have contacted Jason to see if he can import some ACM shells and led covers. I can always hang it in the barn next to my helicopter blades and create some sort of stupid shrine. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I´m follow your news and hope you get well soon. The wobbling accident is one of the worse can happen to a rider, usually those who are reaching pro level riding a powerful motorbike. That misbehavior is terrifying yet in two wheels when already have chances for save, but no one know how save it in one wheel. That can happen to any of us, the more experienced in hi power wheels, more chances to happen.

I found some instructional video about the wobbling, hope it give you some answers

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Electroman said:

Glad it went well, hope for and wish you a speedy recovery.

Ohh, also hope you can find out what created the crash, I kind of hope yours did not just suddenly do something stupid like my ACM but rather some outside factor?

Thanks! I was able to ride the ACM back to my truck so the hall sensors appeared ok. There were some very faint wobbles when I hit bumps along the trail so I just slowed down. I still believe there is some strange contoured tree root beneath the asphalt’s surface that caused the major disruption when I hit it. The thing is I don’t recall hitting a large bump.  I’ll get out and walk the trail in a few weeks. 

2 hours ago, Demargon said:

I´m follow your news and hope you get well soon. The wobbling accident is one of the worse can happen to a rider, usually those who are reaching pro level riding a powerful motorbike. That misbehavior is terrifying yet in two wheels when already have chances for save, but no one know how save it in one wheel. That can happen to any of us, the more experienced in hi power wheels, more chances to happen.

I found some instructional video about the wobbling, hope it give you some answers

Thank you! I did watch the video and for a motorcycle it appears to be inherent on some machines due to the angulated front fork. They also mention about lying down on the bike to calm the wobble down.  All I know is that I had a few seconds to try and bring the ACM under control and for every input I made it just exasperated the situation. Very helpless feeling. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Bummer that this is really going to affect your sale price. Maybe if you include a pamphlet with your injury photos (and don't clean any blood off the wheel if you bled on it) you can turn it into a Special Wheel sale and recoup some of your medical expenses. Yeah, I think that'll work :unsure: 

Jason has the parts!:thumbup:

• Like 2