Rehab1´s accident(s)

Rehab1

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Hard to say but I would not change Marty.  Stay safe.

20 +

Thanks. That is fast, and I can imagine tires have an effect. If you think about it, thick knobby tread is more flexible so maybe it is a major contributing factor. Weird things happen to all kinds of vehicles when the speed limits are pushed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. That is fast, and I can imagine tires have an effect. If you think about it, thick knobby tread is more flexible so maybe it is a major contributing factor. Weird things happen to all kinds of vehicles when the speed limits are pushed.

Uh oh!

Edited by steve454

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

I can say, now having a knobby tire (Schwalbe Mad Mike), that it is a lot less stable than the slicker Chao Yang that was standard on the GT16. On soft surfaces that wouldn't be a problem, I expect that on snow, mud or gravel, it would be better than the standard. But on asphalt or concrete, the smooth gradual feel of the wide track of the standard tire is lost. It likes to twitch a bit and you have to control it more tightly.

So far I've had no wobbling problems. I tend to stand with the center of my weight right on top of the pedals, which alleviates wobbling to a large degree - especially if you bend your knees a bit.

Very interesting. Thanks for your observations :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I can say, now having a knobby tire (Schwalbe Mad Mike), that it is a lot less stable than the slicker Chao Yang that was standard on the GT16. On soft surfaces that wouldn't be a problem, I expect that on snow, mud or gravel, it would be better than the standard. But on asphalt or concrete, the smooth gradual feel of the wide track of the standard tire is lost. It likes to twitch a bit and you have to control it more tightly.

That's what I would have expected, good to have some confirmation :efee8319ab:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, steve454 said:

It started at about 140 mph:dribble:

Yeah. :lol:

Not exactly "step off speed" and perhaps not directly comparable to EUC, but the phenomena is till interesting and if it can happen to EUC's as well it would be great to gain some information on how to best avoid it and deal with it when happening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Electroman said:

Yeah. :lol:

Not exactly "step off speed" and perhaps not directly comparable to EUC, but the phenomena is till interesting and if it can happen to EUC's as well it would be great to gain some information on how to best avoid it and deal with it when happening.

The default state of EUCs is crashing. :) While I've only have had half a dozen faceplants, the number of involuntary step offs has to number a couple hundred. At least. 

--Go slow?

--Try to hit bumps dead-on instead of to the side?

--If you get into a wobble try to lean the wheel hard against one leg (maybe both?) so the pudgy flesh/muscle dampens the oscilations.

--Relax when you get into a wobble?

--Bail before the wobble gets too bad? And wear a full-face helmet?

I don't know what can be done with a wobble. Motorcycles have their front wheel connected to stiff forks and a steering damper while we...have nothing. Nothing at all. Maybe go slower?

Catching a gumball this week, at very slow speed, I went into a wobble and it was just easier to step off the wheel. So basically a fall, and that was at low speed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hirsute said:

@Rehab1 I wish you a quick and complete recovery. Take care of you, and keep a good energy!

Thanks buddy. You’ve been down this road yourself but still managed to recuperate and win yourself a V8!?       

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WARPed1701D said:

The most important thing is that you are standing there in that picture today...even with all the strapping and casual clothes. Without the gear you had on when you fell it sounds like there is a good chance you could have been lying in a bed unconscious right now... or even in a box! I think you can have a pass for some scruffy hair! We will let you. Keep the updates coming. Everyone is rooting for you.

Thanks and you are exactly correct. The Bell Super3 R and jaw extension saved me. It could have been much worse. I’ve seen enough closed head injuries in my day. Still can’t figure out how I rode the wheel back to my truck. I suppose those are blessings you don’t question but say a heartfelt prayer in tribute. 

• Like 2

@Rehab1 I'm so sorry to hear this! Wishing you two things: (1) speedy and complete recovery (both mind and body), and (2) never say "never", stay with us! Once you fully recover - think about the freestyle. It is a lot of fun, and even though it may look risky - in fact the low speed makes it relatively safe, I want to believe.

• Like 2

@Rehab1 when your boys are playing on Sunday, you will need to remember not to get all excited and jump up and down waving your arms around.  The temptation will be strong but you must resist.  Use the Force, if you have to. :ph34r:

And the fact that you went into work, is good.  If you can knock some prosthesis out, even if at a slow rate, then at least it's not all bad.

• Like 1

Wow, sorry about your fall and hope you recover well. I hope you will ride again, probably not as fast but it is very enjoyable transportation.  After my fall I added a full face helmet, I already had a motorcycle jacket that has, shoulder/ elbows/ chest and back protection. Nothing is 100% and everything is a risk, but whatever you choose to do, all the best.

• Like 2