Rehab1´s accident(s)

Rehab1

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Your speaking of autorotation. The blades actually do not  reverse. The main rotor blades are placed into a negative pitch angle by the pilots’s intuitive action which keeps the blades spinning during the emergency ride down. About 10 feet before touching the ground a positive pitch angle is reintroduced into the spinning blades along with a significant  backward flare of the helicopter by the pilot. The aircraft once again becomes airborne with enough lift and rotor inertia to landed safely. Unfortunately both helicopters I was flying landed on unlevel terrain which caught the skids and tipped the craft over. You then hear and feel one big thud as the main rotor blades hit the ground. Time to quickly exit the cab with a fire extinguisher in hand to put out any area flames once outside. I did continue flying for a few years up until my son died. 

Yes, you explained it better. I couldn't get the word 'pitch' just before closing my day to sleep. I'm sorry for your loss and we hope to see you soon back in great health. I feel a bit bad this morning that I might have written this at a wrong time with a wrong attitude. health first ;)

2 hours ago, Demargon said:

I´m follow your news and hope you get well soon. The wobbling accident is one of the worse can happen to a rider, usually those who are reaching pro level riding a powerful motorbike. That misbehavior is terrifying yet in two wheels when already have chances for save, but no one know how save it in one wheel. That can happen to any of us, the more experienced in hi power wheels, more chances to happen.

I found some instructional video about the wobbling, hope it give you some answers

I am not normally capable of checking youtube much (trying to abide by the regulations here), but this morning 3 am it worked :)  (using some means). It did shed some light though that our own same body might be creating turbulence at higher speeds affecting the unicycle. They emphasize that we shouldn't break during a wobble but maybe there was an instance with such an aggressive wobble that @Rehab1 did try to stop as a first thought of gaining control. (i have to find time to read all the thread maybe you already mentioned this)

this thread is giving me plenty of insights, that I wish to share with research department for our sake:

A dual motor with built-in circuitry that generates power out of our main motor (the one we currently use) in order to run a smaller one to help us stop. Should help  if there is a failure on the board or battery and should kick in by a particular condition by working passively within the motor and allow us more chance to stop safely (just like in helicopter where using the inertia to propel it up) wouldn't help much though if we are being aggressive as its probably a less powerful motor driven by the power generated by at least one phase of the main motor (to safeguard against the same main motor failure)

a second would be a performance, aerodynamic safety wear esp. in the lower part

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

There were some very faint wobbles when I hit bumps along the trail so I just slowed down. I still believe there is some strange contoured tree root beneath the asphalt’s surface that caused the major disruption when I hit it. The thing is I don’t recall hitting a large bump.  

Be advised hitting a gumball seed is enough to cause one to wobble then eventually bail. I know that sounds depressing but that is one reason I call the EUC the most unstable vehicle invented.

Were you the one that posted pictures of going to Malta/Crete/Gibalter with a Segway-afflicted wife and daughter while you rented an IPS Lholz?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Were you the one that posted pictures of going to Malta/Crete/Gibalter with a Segway-afflicted wife and daughter while you rented an IPS Lholz?

Sorry but my saint wife doesn’t ride. 

16 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I was the one who rented. while that was @Keith in Malta

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

1 hour ago, IPS Malta said:

I was the one who rented. while that was @Keith in Malta

He sure was the original story is here:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

hitting a gumball seed

I had to look that up. We don't have these strange looking botanical novelties in the Sonoran desert. Here's a picture for others who are unfamiliar with gumball seeds. 

photo-1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbfrese said:

I had to look that up. We don't have these strange looking botanical novelties in the Sonoran desert. Here's a picture for others who are unfamiliar with gumball seeds. 

photo-1.jpg

Really... These things grow into Gumball trees?   :o

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

They're all over the place here in the Mojave desert (So. Cal.),we call them "monkey balls".In EUC lingo they are also referred to as "Backe Balls".:D

I guess he'd have to be replacing his jockey shorts quite frequently. :roflmao:

Edited by dbfrese
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks! I was able to ride the ACM back to my truck so the hall sensors appeared ok. There were some very faint wobbles when I hit bumps along the trail so I just slowed down. I still believe there is some strange contoured tree root beneath the asphalt’s surface that caused the major disruption when I hit it. The thing is I don’t recall hitting a large bump.  I’ll get out and walk the trail in a few weeks.

Glad to hear, hopefully just swap the shell then?

Yeah understand it is hard to say in exact detail and I think it's a good idea walking that trail later and trying to locate the source of the accident, will of course not help you heal but me too would like to understand exactly what happen and store that in the memory bank for later.

Suppose a proper suspension of sort could be helpful, just a real challenge to integrate while keeping structural strength, weight, size and cost down all at the same time as well as adjustable cause we all different. Yes I have seen the DIY solutions but thinking something more neat and doable for manufacturer in a competitive market, while I do work with a wide range of steel structures and a lot with ISO1090 and have though some of it I am still to see a solution I can live with and feel really satisfied with. Some smart guy somewhere might solve it in a near future though, mankind can engineer himself out of most problems and with more exotic strong, lightweight materials on the horizon who knows?

Even half an inch could possible make a difference striking hard objects at speed?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Man, you really are on drugs :facepalm:

Yah the the apple is way too big :P Much better than moping around. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Electroman said:

Suppose a proper suspension of sort could be helpful, just a real challenge to integrate while keeping structural strength, weight, size and cost down all at the same time as well as adjustable cause we all different. Yes I have seen the DIY solutions but thinking something more neat and doable for manufacturer in a competitive market,

Even half an inch could possible make a difference striking hard objects at speed?

Yeah, most wheels are pretty easy to stop wobbling, or make it occur slower at higher speed, simply by strapping something heavy to the front or the rear of the wheel. Something as light as a small speaker drastically reduces wobbles of all sorts, which leads me to believe most (all?) wheels are sensitive to bumps but also easy to solve.

You can induce wobbles easily, by standing well back on the footpads, and by doing so you can wobble at quite low speeds from small bumps. If you then strap anything heavy to the front of the wheel, you'll notice those wobbles are pretty much gone. You hit a bump once and, boom, the wheel acts like it went into wet cement.

I love the egg shaped and the circle form factor; nevertheless I believe wheels would function much better if the heavy batteries were located anywhere but the directly along the vertical wheel axle.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Yeah, most wheels are pretty easy to stop wobbling, or make it occur slower at higher speed, simply by strapping something heavy to the front or the rear of the wheel. Something as light as a small speaker drastically reduces wobbles of all sorts, which leads me to believe most (all?) wheels are sensitive to bumps but also easy to solve.

Sounds like you have just introduced a straight forward safety modification that EUC members might consider. I can think of many methods to attach a small ballast to an EUC. Do you have supporting documentation that I can share with my wife?  ;)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Sounds like you have just introduced a straight forward safety modification that EUC members might consider. I can think of many methods to attach a small ballast to an EUC. Do you have supporting documentation that I can share with my wife?  ;)

I don't know what kind of documentation can prove a negative, that is, I know of no such test that can verify you're not a dumbass, especially as you rode 26 mph on rough surfaces. Wore a full-face helmet, though, so that's probably 98% dumbass instead of 100%.

And when I say dumbass I place myself firmly in that category

I've crashed at lower speeds but with hardly any protection. Took me months to recover while still having the scars. Wouldn't you say that's pretty dumbass? Also I ride an MSuper at 28mph therefore I am a verified dumbass; WheelLog simply confirms it without any doubt.

Buy an S1, keep your MTEN3, sell all your other wheels, and call it a day. That would bring your dumbass score to, oh, 25%? I don't know if keeping a wheel at your office and sneaking a ride like some nicotine-addled desperado would increase or decrease your dumbass score.