New firmware v1.03 Kingsong Ks-16S

Augus

On 26.1.2018 at 4:42 PM, Circuitmage said:

Only on new app? I am still using old one and it is not upgrading.

Try this link from KingSong's chinese Website for the latest Release of the new App: http://www.kswheel.cn/list-28.html

...or directly from here 

http://jc.cnaite.cn/data/apk/Kingsong_Aligned.apk

Okay guys,  someone has to be the guinea pig - so in this case it was me:

I updated the Firmware V1.02 - > V1.03 via the new App. It was easy going, and no issues (Screenshots attached).

Beside the new lock-feature, I haven't noticed any change in behavior of the wheel, so everything seems to be okay with that firmware. 

https://i.imgur.com/BWHxtPA.png

https://i.imgur.com/XymkVhT.png

https://i.imgur.com/WLosKym.png

https://i.imgur.com/o95szWk.png

I think I "discovered" that feature right in the beginning of my unicycler's career, about a month ago. 

If you protect the BT connection to the wheel by password, and additonally enable the "Lock"-function (green padlock in the bottom-left of the new App) you have to confirm every usage of the wheel by clicking that (unlock) button - what you only can do, if you have BT-access to the wheel. Otherwise: The wheel won't turn and starts beeping instead - protection activated!  :)

OMG I can change the light colors! Like, best day ever!

For you guys updating the firmware, place your damned phone on the pedal of your unicycle, and come back half an hour later. Maybe an hour later. And don't even touch the phone. Better yet hire a big black dog to bite you if you reach towards your phone during that time.

7 hours ago, Borg666 said:

I think I "discovered" that feature right in the beginning of my unicycler's career, about a month ago. 

If you protect the BT connection to the wheel by password, and additonally enable the "Lock"-function (green padlock in the bottom-left of the new App) you have to confirm every usage of the wheel by clicking that (unlock) button - what you only can do, if you have BT-access to the wheel. Otherwise: The wheel won't turn and starts beeping instead - protection activated!  :)

Yip, but this feature is allready a bit longer there...On the 1.03 Version they must have implemented something more.

Unfortunatly the Change log discriptions is not really understandable...so i have no clue what this cryptic new function means :-)

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

OMG I can change the light colors! Like, best day ever!

For you guys updating the firmware, place your damned phone on the pedal of your unicycle, and come back half an hour later. Maybe an hour later. And don't even touch the phone. Better yet hire a big black dog to bite you if you reach towards your phone during that time.

Just for interest: With the new "orange" app....if the update will fail or stop or whatever, you can repeat it without any problems, as often as needed.

nonetheless, as you advice correctly, you should leave the phone/wheel alone while the update process is running. Which needs about 1,5 to 2 minutes ;-)

16 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Just for interest: With the new "orange" app....if the update will fail or stop or whatever, you can repeat it without any problems, as often as needed.

nonetheless, as you advice correctly, you should leave the phone/wheel alone while the update process is running. Which needs about 1,5 to 2 minutes ;-)

Mine took a great deal longer to update, around 20 minutes or so. Basically I was hovering over the wheel with my cell phone waiting for something to happen, and eventually I said screw it, placed the phone on the footpad.

I've bricked a few electronics in my life by being impatient, but this is easily the most expensive thing, I was getting nervous when nothing happened after the wheel turned off.

1 minute ago, LanghamP said:

Mine took a great deal longer to update, around 20 minutes or so. Basically I was hovering over the wheel with my cell phone waiting for something to happen, and eventually I said screw it, placed the phone on the footpad.

I've bricked a few electronics in my life by being impatient, but this is easily the most expensive thing, I was getting nervous when nothing happened after the wheel turned off.

Yip, on the old app Version this was possible! If the update got stuck or interruped you had a Chance that you Need to contact the seller. On the new app Version, you can re-start, re-upload and there should be no Chance to brick the PCB/board anymore.

Noticed LED's light up around the unit as the DL progresses.

Looks a lot like the InMotion's app. and asks for a lot of permissions. Kinda weird. Why does it want to record my audio?

Otherwise, seems to work fine. Nice features set, though screen is very crowded. Still like simple interface and black background of WheelLog over this app though.

ya real buggy app if u ask me. keeps popping up/restarting itself after closing it. i force stopped, removed all permissions and rebooted my phone to see if that stops its virus like activities.

16 hours ago, novazeus said:

ya real buggy app if u ask me. keeps popping up/restarting itself after closing it. i force stopped, removed all permissions and rebooted my phone to see if that stops its virus like activities.

No, the current release linked above is not really buggy. Btw, an App can get the permission for Autostart or to run in Background as an intended Android feature. You can  restrict these permissions via the security settings (in additon to the App settings). 

What I can confirm is, that the App continues running in Background even if it was clicked to close, that's pretty annoying, in deed! But ending the App manually (force stop) in the App Manager worked for me. 

Important is to uncheck Autostart and run in Background, than it should work for you as well. 

2 minutes ago, Borg666 said:

No, the current release linked above is not really buggy. Btw, an App can get the permission for Autostart or to run in Background as an intended Android feature. You can  restrict these permissions via the security settings (in additon to the App settings). 

What I can confirm is, that the the App continues to run even if it was clicked to close, that's pretty annoying, in deed! But ending the App manually in the App Manager worked for me. 

Important is to uncheck Autostart and run in Background, than it should work for you as well. 

thanks. i figured there was somebody smarter than me with theseapps to help me out. i’m gonna try what u said.

i still think ks needs to work on their app. 

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

thanks. i figured there was somebody smarter than me with theseapps to help me out. i’m gonna try what u said.

i still think ks needs to work on their app. 

If I don't go to battery management and force stop the ninebot app, it continues running in the background and drains the battery very fast.  That's even after backing out of the app.  So now, I try to remember to take the extra step and force stop the app.  You would think backing out of the app would stop it, but for some reason it keeps running.:ph34r:

On 3.2.2018 at 7:14 PM, steve454 said:

If I don't go to battery management and force stop the ninebot app, it continues running in the background and drains the battery very fast.  That's even after backing out of the app.  So now, I try to remember to take the extra step and force stop the app.  You would think backing out of the app would stop it, but for some reason it keeps running.:ph34r:

These are Screenshots of the mentioned security settings in my Android 7  (feel free to translate, if needed.  ;-))) 
I have no idea if they're included on former Android versions as well?

The "feature" that the App continues running in Background (and using GPS) is not just pretty annoying, but battery draining as well.    :-/

i9vTBaI.png

It seems that the Ninebot App suffers a similar "feature", of continuing running, btw.

V3ILNUT.png

51 minutes ago, Borg666 said:

These are Screenshots of the mentioned security settings in my Android 7  (feel free to translate, if needed.  ;-))) 
I have no idea if they're included on former Android versions as well?

The "feature" that the App continues running in Background (and using GPS) is not just pretty annoying, but battery draining as well.    :-/

Screenshot_20180203-191834.png

It seems that the Ninebot App suffers a similar "feature", of continuing running, btw.

Screenshot_20180203-191634.png

Thanks I'm gonna try and fix mine. 

The cat is already out of the bag but the whole "big brother" thing is starting to bother me. This predictive thinking ai can do is creepy.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

Thanks I'm gonna try and fix mine. 

The cat is already out of the bag but the whole "big brother" thing is starting to bother me. This predictive thinking ai can do is creepy.

My guess is that they are using GPS to keep track of where all the wheels are located after the sale.  If I forget to go to the battery usage screen and stop the ninebot app, the next day my phone battery will be down over 30 percent.  I also turn off mobile data unless I need it for the weather app or something.

On 3.2.2018 at 10:57 PM, steve454 said:

My guess is that they are using GPS to keep track of where all the wheels are located after the sale.

I don't think that they're acting that way. They're rather busy to keep their services running, instead of pushing energy in, to monitor people/wheels. 

The new App simply needs GPS for proper working, but it seems to be poorly programmed with a view to end the app - it still continues running in Background, incl. GPS I guess. 

Same for me, I forgot to "force stop" it the evening before. Now see the battery consumption's top entry:

VWtnXVW.png

My KS-16S has 1.02, as shown on iOS app "kingsong."

In that app on the settings page, there is a firmware upgrade menu item but when I go to it, nothing happens.

Could you clarify what "app" you are downloading from a Chinese or other site?

Has anyone updated using the iOS singsong app?

Thanks.

Archived