Augus

Hello friends,

I am afraid of having a failure and falling for a preventable breakdown with proper maintenance.

Is it convenient to take the unicycle for review to a certain number of kilometers?
How many kilometers is it convenient to change the tire?

Regards.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50 minutes ago, Augus said:

Is it convenient to take the unicycle for review to a certain number of kilometers?

That depends on the EUC. Some are easier than others. Usually you have to get the EUC pretty far apart to completey change the tire, although you can sometimes patch the tube without removing the rim completely. 

3 hours ago, Augus said:

Hello friends,

I am afraid of having a failure and falling for a preventable breakdown with proper maintenance.

How many kilometers is it convenient to change the tire?

Regards.

That all depends on what your wanted level of security/safety is....

I personnaly open my wheel -at least- all 1000km and take a look on wiring, battery, board, capacitors, fuses(if there are any), pedal arm mounting screws and what not.

When i will have my next maintenance is on my KS18S...in about 300 km i will reach 2000km, i will do a small photo documentary about it.

31 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

That all depends on what your wanted level of security/safety is....

I personnaly open my wheel -at least- all 1000km and take a look on wiring, battery, board, capacitors, fuses(if there are any), pedal arm mounting screws and what not.

When i will have my next maintenance is on my KS18S...in about 300 km i will reach 2000km, i will do a small photo documentary about it.

I prefer to sell mine before the 1000km mark and get a new one :D  

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I prefer to sell mine before the 1000km mark and get a new one :D  

Selling the wheel after 600 miles? You have needed that long to get used to the 18S ;-)

Aaaaah, But wait, i got it, a "Show" unicyclist...

Driving some meters, doing 20 videos about it, fooling us with his experience and then selling the wheel ;-)

But to be serious: If you would have said, selling it before 2500-3000, i would have agreed....Sure,  as you have some more wheels, you certainly need to divide your drive time on more wheels B)

38 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Selling the wheel after 600 miles? You have needed that long to get used to the 18S ;-)

Aaaaah, But wait, i got it, a "Show" unicyclist...

Driving some meters, doing 20 videos about it, fooling us with his experience and then selling the wheel ;-)

But to be serious: If you would have said, selling it before 2500-3000, i would have agreed....Sure,  as you have some more wheels, you certainly need to divide your drive time on more wheels B)

Yeah, my problem is that I have six very nice wheels. So it really is hard to accumulate a lot of miles an any particular model. You can probably understand why I dislike that 1000-km requirement that KingSong places on their 18S. It would literally take me 1 to 2 years to satisfy that requirement. And I'm not the only rider that has multiple wheels (many more people have a greater number of wheels than myself).

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

why I dislike that 1000-km requirement that KingSong places on their 18S.

Absolutly!!

I understand there way of saying „get experienced on this wheel“....but that’s ridiculous, its way to much!

On the 18L they lowered it to 200km...(100 would have been also enough in my view)

40 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Absolutly!!

I understand there way of saying „get experienced on this wheel“....but that’s ridiculous, its way to much!

On the 18L they lowered it to 200km...(100 would have been also enough in my view)

I could live with 200km, grudgingly. 

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, my problem is that I have six very nice wheels. So it really is hard to accumulate a lot of miles an any particular model. You can probably understand why I dislike that 1000-km requirement that KingSong places on their 18S. It would literally take me 1 to 2 years to satisfy that requirement. And I'm not the only rider that has multiple wheels (many more people have a greater number of wheels than myself).

I'm at five myself, but three of them are 14 inchers which is kinda redundant as they fulfill and handle quite similar to each other.

I did find the Segway S1 learning limits/lockouts to be quite well thought out and interesting. I would think something similar as the 1000KM lockout for KS is inappropriate because who buys an expensive 18 incher as their first wheel?

Worst thing about owning several wheels (other than the initial expense) is getting on a smaller one after coming from a bigger one.

Going from a small wheel to a big wheel isn't dangerous, but the converse is absolutely deadly. You go too fast on a too twitchy wheel.

7 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I'm at five myself, but three of them are 14 inchers which is kinda redundant as they fulfill and handle quite similar to each other.

I did find the Segway S1 learning limits/lockouts to be quite well thought out and interesting. I would think something similar as the 1000KM lockout for KS is inappropriate because who buys an expensive 18 incher as their first wheel?

Worst thing about owning several wheels (other than the initial expense) is getting on a smaller one after coming from a bigger one.

Going from a small wheel to a big wheel isn't dangerous, but the converse is absolutely deadly. You go too fast on a too twitchy wheel.

I do ride all of my six wheels often enough so I have zero issues going between my 10-inch and the 22-inch Monster. YMMV.

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I do ride all of my six wheels often enough so I have zero issues going between my 10-inch and the 22-inch Monster. YMMV.

You're a wheel slut while I'm a serial dater.

I did notice while I was teaching someone how to ride and I was going back and forth between a 14 and a 16, the acclimization time became much less, and so like most skills it can be learned with practice.

One thing I'm endlessly amused by is when I ride my KS14c versus my KS16s; they have the same battery and hence the same range yet the KS14c looks way too small to be anything other than a toy. I always feel odd looking at it before a rather long trip, as there's no way something so tiny can power my 215 pound body for over two dozen miles, yet it does, easily, and with plenty of mileage left.

Standing with one leg over any of my wheel on the start of any trip, I feel rather small for the distance expected. More than six miles is a really big deal if you've ever walked or run it. It's a big fu*ing distance. I mean, give me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and I'm good for 12 miles at least, but the sheer amount of time it takes to walk that is intimidating.

Wheels are pretty fu*king amazing.

any tips? (i really need them!) 

i have planned to make my wheel last for as extremely long as even possible

and as i can see if i keep riding it like this in a year i will have ridden it 12.000km!

so i will probably need a tire change

and maybe a few other things among that...

but what do i have to maintain and check so it doesnt get worse?

any bolts that should be tightened?

i have heard that it is a good idea to look at the axle nut after a few 1000km..?

and i cant just buy a new wheel again anytime soon

11 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

and as i can see if i keep riding it like this in a year i will have ridden it 12.000km!

i have heard that it is a good idea to look at the axle nut after a few 1000km..?

Look in the DIY and Gotway section ? @Rehab1 and/or @Marty Backe and/or others ? posted many videos/pics/reports of their gotway cable/connectors check/repair/modifications. Also regarding axle nuts, etc...

9 hours ago, Shad0z said:

You absolutely do not have to look at the axle nuts. If the nuts of shims/wedges get loose you will know because the wheel will start behaving differently (a looseness in the pedal response, etc). It's too early to tell with the Tesla, but it may not have the problem because of the better shim implementation that Gotway rolled out with this wheel.

Our wheels are fundamentally very simple machines; a motor, batteries, and control board. Unless you have really bad luck, the batteries will last much longer than the 500 complete charge cycles. Motors don't generally wear out, and many people have gotten amazing miles on their tires. Replacing the tire is relatively easy.

I would say just keep it clean and avoid as many crashes as you can. Personally I don't open any of my wheels unless I have to. I.e., I don't open them to inspect for problems. But at least with the Tesla it is easy to open the side panel if you want to.

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You absolutely do not have to look at the axle nuts. If the nuts of shims/wedges get loose you will know because the wheel will start behaving differently (a looseness in the pedal response, etc). It's too early to tell with the Tesla, but it may not have the problem because of the better shim implementation that Gotway rolled out with this wheel.

Our wheels are fundamentally very simple machines; a motor, batteries, and control board. Unless you have really bad luck, the batteries will last much longer than the 500 complete charge cycles. Motors don't generally wear out, and many people have gotten amazing miles on their tires. Replacing the tire is relatively easy.

I would say just keep it clean and avoid as many crashes as you can. Personally I don't open any of my wheels unless I have to. I.e., I don't open them to inspect for problems. But at least with the Tesla it is easy to open the side panel if you want to.

i have REALLY bad luck. I got a flat....

but good news is i think it's just the air valve bad news 

how in the world do i get to it???

first attempt was opening it up until reaching a point where there are no more screws then my dad who knows a lot about this we figured we would try to fix it without opening it up... But as we struggled 30 minutes getting the darn thing back together(cables) we ended up breaking a very small cable that leads to the power button and lights.. But we soldered it and now we are just done connecting the wires.. I will admit i was feeling very dizzy when i saw that broken wire..:wacko:

all of that time i used just to have money to order it..

and its not like i usually break my things.. I'm usually very good at keeping things for years..

but i think as of now the only issue is fixing the tire..

so nothing inside (only tire) is broken :innocent1:

16 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i have REALLY bad luck. I got a flat....

but good news is i think it's just the air valve bad news 

how in the world do i get to it???

first attempt was opening it up until reaching a point where there are no more screws then my dad who knows a lot about this we figured we would try to fix it without opening it up... But as we struggled 30 minutes getting the darn thing back together(cables) we ended up breaking a very small cable that leads to the power button and lights.. But we soldered it and now we are just done connecting the wires.. I will admit i was feeling very dizzy when i saw that broken wire..:wacko:

all of that time i used just to have money to order it..

and its not like i usually break my things.. I'm usually very good at keeping things for years..

but i think as of now the only issue is fixing the tire..

so nothing inside (only tire) is broken :innocent1:

How exactly have you determined that the valve is bad? If it's actually just the valve, that can be replaced by going to your local auto-parts store and buying a new valve. It may be that the valve just needs to be tightened (a simple few dollar valve tool is used for that). Finally, I highly recommend that you put Slime in your tire to prevent/fix future tube punctures.

Putting Slime in the tire will not stop a flat as I've discovered more than a few times but it will allow you to reinflate a punctured tire. A punctured tire will start to deflate almost immediately and it continues to deflate until the Slime clogs up the hole. My experience is sometimes I have to continue pumping up the tire until the Slime "catches" around the holes, but once it does the tire will not even slow leak.

I carry a tiny bicycle pump with me most times, it is a pain to use and extremely slow, so for emergency use only.

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

How exactly have you determined that the valve is bad? If it's actually just the valve, that can be replaced by going to your local auto-parts store and buying a new valve. It may be that the valve just needs to be tightened (a simple few dollar valve tool is used for that). Finally, I highly recommend that you put Slime in your tire to prevent/fix future tube punctures.

Sli.e i have thought about.. I just need to find a place to buy.. And when i push the valve around i changes the amount of hizz sound greatly wich is coming from the valve

but i will go to a bike shop or similar and get it fixed.:)

22 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

Sli.e i have thought about.. I just need to find a place to buy.. And when i push the valve around i changes the amount of hizz sound greatly wich is coming from the valve

but i will go to a bike shop or similar and get it fixed.:)

It sounds like it is just a loose valve. Get it tightened with the correct tool (very cheap) and with a bit of air you will probably be good to go again. No need to disassemble the casing. 

if i get it fixed again it will be a good deterrent to keep me from getting too confident and just lean full powwer up a hill or ever open it and fiddle wih the control board

"you feel most alive, the moment when you're about to loose it" -idontrememberwho

this applies a lot to electric transport like a euc

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

It sounds like it is just a loose valve. Get it tightened with the correct tool (very cheap) and with a bit of air you will probably be good to go again. No need to disassemble the casing. 

yes indeed. when i saw that white wire that was broken and at the same time was left with all of this mess of wires with no clue

i was about to faint.. not overecagerating... and im not the kind of person who does that :blink1:

i spent 3 months.. thats 91 days! spent on waking up wih the thought of needing to sell and work and maybe get enough money at some point 

and im baby handling this one to the extreme 

even more so after this.. 

but its all good so nothing to worry about phew ^_^

this all sounds totally over dramatic for getting a simple euc.. but it is more than that i meet new people on a euc other who have the same interest

and i can go further. i come more outside especially in the middle of the city. so almost every night i got to the city and explore and talk with people

without that. i would be sitting here all the time..:P

I would recommend doing nothing to your wheel if something is wrong (or if you even suspect something is wrong). Just leave the unicycle alone, take pictures of it, then come back here and post your problem.

I am saying if you're not 100% sure how something works, if you can't envision the basics of it, and the expected behavior is different from the observed behavior, do nothing! Leave the wheel alone and post here. I mean, if you have a question like, "where's the on/off button and how do I use it", "which way is front", "how do I fold up a pedal", etc...it doesn't matter how simple that question is, or how much time of others you waste, just ask the damned question.

I prefer to open my mouth, and let everyone know I'm a fool, so that they can correct me! Wheels are so dangerous that you very quickly learn to ask questions, 'cause, you know, you otherwise crash.

@Marty Backe states wheels are simple. I assert the opposite, they are a sweet dangerous mystery to me, prone to unexpected behavior that (you guessed it!) results in a crash when you don't quite understand them.

I've got the scars that I'm not proud of to prove my lack of understanding wheels.

13 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I would recommend doing nothing to your wheel if something is wrong (or if you even suspect something is wrong). Just leave the unicycle alone, take pictures of it, then come back here and post your problem.

I am saying if you're not 100% sure how something works, if you can't envision the basics of it, and the expected behavior is different from the observed behavior, do nothing! Leave the wheel alone and post here. I mean, if you have a question like, "where's the on/off button and how do I use it", "which way is front", "how do I fold up a pedal", etc...it doesn't matter how simple that question is, or how much time of others you waste, just ask the damned question.

I prefer to open my mouth, and let everyone know I'm a fool, so that they can correct me! Wheels are so dangerous that you very quickly learn to ask questions, 'cause, you know, you otherwise crash.

@Marty Backe states wheels are simple. I assert the opposite, they are a sweet dangerous mystery to me, prone to unexpected behavior that (you guessed it!) results in a crash when you don't quite understand them.

I've got the scars that I'm not proud of to prove my lack of understanding wheels.

my idea was also to post it here

i did actually but i thought that it was something i needed to remove shell to fix but.. i saved myself before its too late.. 

i have this ability to end up on the edge to epic fail or fall or break but i always end up getting myself out of the situation just.. before its too late

but to be honest my ability to determine the situation was not great enough at that moment and afterall im human i make mistakes but i learn from them too but just because i learn from them doesnt mean they didnt happen -_-

and i just ordered a little tube sealant tire slime it will be arriving tomorrow so i will be ready for when i get my tire fixed.. how much should i put in my tire?

On 24-1-2018 at 9:09 AM, Shad0z said:

My gotway had broken down (suddenly with no warning).

When i opened it, the motherboard was not fixed tight. Two screws holders had broken of. The main screw (with the heat-sink) had become loose too. So the controlboard had a little movement. That resulted in one of the powercables come loose.

Therefore, when you open up your wheel, make sure that the motherboard is still fixed in place. I think i drove it for about 2500 km in about 9 months before this happened. So maybe half yearly check. I know i wil do this from now on. 

today i decided to do preventive maintenance on my KS16.

l

riding in a country where they are obsessed with using salt on all the roads, i feel its neccessary atleast every 300km to open up and clean inside, becouse this salt goes everywhere!

luckily i decided to do this becouse to my suprise i found some disturbing signs that something has been happening with the fuse, it looks like it has been very close to blow, and i can imagine it was from a spin the wheel did a few weeks back when i was doing some one legged wheeling, at this insident the wheel shut of after the crash but to my suprise it powered back on with no problem, so i did not think about it much more.

but i think this is a great reminder to allways inspect your preperials regularly, this fuse would definetely have blown on the next high load.

stay safe & awsome!

Br,

20180204_125557.jpg

Archived