A good starter wheel?

DrZoidberg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though very few EUCers use a backpack to carry their EUC, there have been a few threads around this, try googling

site:forum.electricunicycle.org backpack

Welcome. Lots of good advice here with many suggestions that you should skip the beginner wheel and what would be right for you get no one has asked for the specifics of your usage. How much do you weigh? What temperatures will you ride in? How hilly is your environment? Is this mainly for commuting, pleasure, errands? Well this be used with a mix of public transport? Besides your 4 story climb at home are there any other portability concerns such as negotiating steps or kerbs as part of your expected ride? Do you expect to take the wheel places where you will need to keep it close but can't ride it (grocery store)? What range do you need for a one way trip? Would you have the opportunity to charge between rides to replenish the battery? 

The difference between 14" and 16" is pretty much just how it reacts to large bumps in the ground and how much control you have over the wheel. A larger 16" wheel will give you a little bit more stability over larger potholes like larger tires on cars. It will absorb more of the shock from the road and dampen some too. The 14" wheel is more maneuverable because of the smaller circumference and the bumps a only really dangerous over 15mph or 24kph. From my experience the 16" wheel does smooth out some of the bumps, others act as ramps. Not even my 18" wheel smoothes out all the bumps. 

Think of it like the difference between a BMX/beach Cruiser (16" wheel) and a racing bike (14" wheel) as far as bumps are concerned. The beach cruiser will absorb more bumps, but will weigh more; the racing bike will need to avoid larger obstacles, but will be lighter.

the only EUC that fits in my back pack is my 10" mTen. Its 24 1/4 lbs or 11 kg. I used it one of the days to commute to CES in Las Vegas. It was okay for most of the journey and much easier to take up the 5 stair cases along the strip route than the KS18s I used the other days. It does feel a little bit like riding in a log roll contest the entire journey, but it goes 40kph in the straights.

The Inmotion v5f or Solowheel glide 2 , and the ks14D are terrific wheels that you will always find uses for and for the first couple of months will be all you will be able to make use of. The KS16s has more speed and range than you will need right away, and you will be trading that un-used potential for the extra weight while learning. For instance, my Inmotion V8 is down for repairs right now and I have begun riding my V5f again. It is a blast and the 28kph max speed makes it safer and plenty fast except going down steep hills. Its almost half the weight of the KS18s that I use more like a vehicle.

I still say get an IPS I5 and a used IPS T350+ From the Private Sales section of this Forum. They are the safest maker on the market.

image.jpg

28 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I still say get an IPS I5 and a used IPS T350+ From the Private Sales section of this Forum. They are the safest maker on the market.

The IPS I own I regard not only as unsafe, but not even admissible to be operated at all above 12km/h in publicly shared spaces. Just saying, mileage varies.

52 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

It does feel a little bit like riding in a log roll contest the entire journey, but it goes 40kph in the straights.

So does this mean on the straights it's like a log roll contest, going over a waterfall? :D 40kph, on something the size of a sugar donut, are you serious!!??

36 minutes ago, Mono said:

admissible to be operated at all above 12km/h in publicly shared spaces. Just saying, mileage varies.

I rode the I5 at CES, and I own the Tank, T350+ . The t350+ was made for torque power and the 12 mosfets redundancy, the 1000w motor, and the 30kph top speed along with the low step off pedals make me feel very safe. I cannot speak on other models besides those two though. The beeping starts at 25kph so I always know my limits on the thing. There is no hill that the T350+ has failed on that my mTen has negociated. So it has power.

6 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I rode the I5 at CES, and I own the Tank, T350+ . The t350+ was made for torque power and the 12 mosfets redundancy, the 1000w motor, and the 30kph top speed along with the low step off pedals make me feel very safe.

Too little pedal ground clearance has become a relevant safety hazard in my books, not an asset. Clipping a pedal or a foot is apparently a pretty common cause for getting into an unsafe riding state (for me and others). I also don't like the old-style pedals of the T350, I guess I have the same on the IPS 132. The main problem with the IPS 132 I own is still different though, it just has way too weak braking power.

@Mono has a point, but if you are learning, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks because its easier to approach and dismount. The steering is done much in the same way as in my mTen with mostly turning by twisting and pressing on the front outside and rear inside pedals in a different way than the extreme lean available in the V5 or V8.  

I can scrape any pedal, and pedal scrapes can happen on any height pedals from the side as well as from the bottom, so there is no real 100% safety position for pedals anyway. 

Just took my T350+ ona 7k test ride to pick up some coffee beans and rode over lots of bumps and cracks with no pedal scrapes at all. Stopping is a breeze on this thing going down steep hills. The T350 has a ton of torque and it recharges the batteries in a way that you can actually feel when you slow down for a stop. Its like the feeling of those old kinetic generators for the back light on bicycles. Riding on the sidewalk is perfectly normal as it feels at home in tight confines as well. 

Look, my expectations were very low with this machine and it has outperformed all my concerns within its range and speed.

10 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

On 2nd thought, if @DrZoidberg only wants one wheel to suit all his needs, I am probably not the right person to ask for a definitive decision. :efef2e0fff:

image.jpg

I have two things to say about this photo;

1. EUCOCD.
  2. I'm jealous!

The Step and roll is going to a project, the IPS T350+ is being sold to this guy down the street, and the V5f may be going to a local flyweight boxer to help him train and work out his core. I really need to modify the 800w KS14c black with a heatsink because of the hills in my area and its need to charge up them at full speed. The V8 is down for repairs due to a faulty motor and awaiting a replacement.

hey @The Fat Unicyclist What is EUCOCD? 

Oh I get it now. Evidentally have had it for a while too

BTW as soon as I get rid of those two EUCs, I am totally gonna get an IPS I5.

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

hey @The Fat Unicyclist What is EUCOCD? 

Oh I get it now. Evidentally have had it for a while too

Ha... Did it come to you as you typed it? 

Followed by that slow realisation that you are actually "infected?" 

On 1/17/2018 at 2:11 PM, WARPed1701D said:

Welcome. Lots of good advice here with many suggestions that you should skip the beginner wheel and what would be right for you get no one has asked for the specifics of your usage.

How much do you weigh?

75 kg/ 165 ibs

What temperatures will you ride in?

30 c to 0 c / 86 to 32 f

How hilly is your environment?

Incredibly flat. I am Swedish, and might move back to Stockholm, in which case quite hilly. But where I'm living now the highest thing I might encounter is a curb. 

Is this mainly for commuting, pleasure, errands? Well this be used with a mix of public transport?

I won't use it for getting to work. Mainly because I need to wear a suit for work, and presentability is a thing I need to care about. Whackiness is not on. So not commuting. I'd like to use it on my time outside work. As transport. I'm pretty active and move about a lot. Parties, functions and such. So it's super handy to be able to be able to pop on and off the subway with it. I should add though, that it's possible to take bicycles on the Copenhagen subway. Copenhagen is incredibly well planned for public transport. So also good for popping on and off with a EUC. 

While I might fall in love with the idea of going on it just for fun, I'm pretty sure I'll tire of it. It has to serve a practical function in my life or there's no point. 

What I'm attracted to with the EUC is that it's basically an incredibly compact motorbike/bicycle. That's what I'm hoping I'll get.  

Besides your 4 story climb at home are there any other portability concerns such as negotiating steps or kerbs as part of your expected ride?

Kerbs. But Copenhagen is full of bicycle paths. So I'll go on them, and then it's no kerbs. Like I said, Copenhagen is incredibly well planned. 

Do you expect to take the wheel places where you will need to keep it close but can't ride it (grocery store)?

Yes. Mainly parties. Where there will be drunk people who fiddle with stuff they shouldn't.

On that topic, how dangerous is it to drive these inebriated? Do I need to be sober? I don't drink much anyway, so it's not much of a sacrifice to never drink again. But it's good to know how much alcohol impairs usage? 

What range do you need for a one way trip? Would you have the opportunity to charge between rides to replenish the battery? 

Never more than a couple of kilometers. I don't see this to be a problem, even with the smallest batteries. Since most of my trips will be on the subway, and the wheel is just for the last leg of the journeys. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt that I could drive it further. But I don't need to. There's electrical outlets everywhere here, so I'll be able to charge it pretty much everywhere I go. 

16 hours ago, DrZoidberg said:

On that topic, how dangerous is it to drive these inebriated? Do I need to be sober? I don't drink much anyway, so it's not much of a sacrifice to never drink again. But it's good to know how much alcohol impairs usage? 

I can't speak for everyone, but the one time I rode when walking had become a bit of a challenge (hic :efeec46606: ) I was amazed at how easy it was.  I wheeled all the way home without ever stepping off, or wobbling, or feeling incapacitated in the slightest.  Of course, I'm not recommending this, and I believe its possible to be charged with being drunk in charge of any type of transportation.  In fact, I'm going to a family party tonight, :cheers:  about 2 miles away, and I'm leaving 2.2 tons of car in the driveway and taking the 16s instead.  This also means I don't have to give my good-for-nothing nephew a lift. Oh well, there's always the bus, and a walk. :rolleyes: 

UPDATE: Wheeled to the party just fine, despite taking a wrong turn in the dark and getting lost.  Didn't get to retest wheeling drunk, as I got a ride home.  Safer that way, warmer too.

I've also noticed the effect of a beer or two making it easier to ride. All I can figure is that it relaxes you a bit. Maybe you're really wobbling around more than you would if you were completely sober. I rarely have more than two drinks so I can't say what it's like if you're really intoxicated, it's got to really affect things at some point.

7 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I've also noticed the effect of a beer or two making it easier to ride. All I can figure is that it relaxes you a bit. Maybe you're really wobbling around more than you would if you were completely sober. I rarely have more than two drinks so I can't say what it's like if you're really intoxicated, it's got to really affect things at some point.

Excellent profile shot of you. So is it 2 beers or two containers?:P

25907218888_cfd912a44d_b.jpg

6 hours ago, DrZoidberg said:

Wow... so which one do you like the best and why? 

I like the InmotionV8 / Solowheel Glide 3 best because I cant drive it right now... I am still waiting on a replacement motor.

It is my all time favorite EUC though. I have only two complaints. More range and more speed. The others I have bought after it have addressed this to a point. I doubt I will ever be sated in those two categories though. It has a wonderful feel that makes riding a breeze, has a disengage button for the wheel under the handle, has a built in trolley handle, a built in kick stand on the fenders, feels lighter than it is when carrying because of its balance. It is the 240z of EUCs. Everything is where it should be and it drives like it wants to have as much fun as you do.

Archived