CES 2018 Mini-report

Jason McNeil

Without the incredible passion & enthusiasm of @Stan Onymous, @houseofjob, @Joey Serrin & @Ombre, it would not have been possible attend this year's event, I cannot thank you guys enough!!!

Apart from Segway/Ninebot's Z10, there was no other representation from other manufacturers, so we had something unique awesome to show off. Our booth was a bit out of the way of the main traffic flow; still, over the course of the four days, thousands of people passed through, nearly everyone in the area was magnetically drawn into our quadrant, our motto was 'The Best CES Products in the worst Location;) . The main objective of attending the show was to establish media contacts, get some publicity about the Electric Unicycle, & see what opportunities would emerge... to that end, the show was mostly successful. As would be expected, you get the usual 'how far does it go on a charge?' sort of questions, but occasionally someone will stop by & tell you how they've been riding since 2011 on the first Solowheel, where you can then let them try out a newer King Song within the limited confines of the area, which is pretty cool.  

On the first day, the CES security staff were pretty tolerant of us demoing the Wheels around the booth, but into day 2-3 it became progressively more restrictive, to the point where if someone would walk the Wheel outside the perimeter, covert security personnel would conveniently be on hand to slap us with a reprimand. On the last day of the show we had the unique honour of being assigned a dedicated security guard glowering over us. 

Last year when I attended the show as a guest, within two blocks of riding a Wheel on the strip, I was confronted by two police officers, who said they tracking me the moment I left the hotel & that using the Wheel in Vegas was strictly prohibited; now it seems Riding is much less of a problem, we used the Wheels as our primary transportation to/from the hotel around three miles from the exhibition centre. Quite by chance @Stan Onymous bumped into quite possibly the only regular Rider in Vegas, a DJ who commutes through the strip each day with his V8, this must have had a desensitising effect with the police, demonstrating that Electric Unicycles can co-mingle with pedestrian traffic with relative safety. 

If we haven't been permanently black-balled from CES, the take away lessons are 1) book the booth early in a prime location, 2) get a large 20'x20' space for demoing the Wheels, 3) no matter how winning you might try to be with floor security, there's inevitably going to be low level tension, because of the nature of the product. 

There's a load of video content that we'll be editing & uploading over the next couple days.

uc?export=view&id=1DC97EpYnptAvjoV7Q6vh4

uc?export=view&id=1trHiHemu99EW0UHANQcfn

uc?export=view&id=1PwNl3bKWanJ7S0x5CxxfD

uc?export=view&id=1UyYZAP8TAKiCAfTmjSgL4

uc?export=view&id=1S32Y462x4V4M3sKoUVvB6

uc?export=view&id=1_RLkBxe484ME6HEsEksiR

uc?export=view&id=1LsexJVUHgpiLAqaGjs1lG

uc?export=view&id=1hZKCvHHs--RbOeyHQJG_5

On the 2nd floor of the Sands convention area it was rumored to be by a passerby of our booth that CES was allowing an area for the e-bikes to demo inside the convention area. I doubt that the self induced speed chloracne afflicted Jeremy the sweaty Security guard was either aware of this or in on anything in a planning committee sort of way.

Cindy Stifflet the Floor person was as disheveled and out of sorts in a very snarky uninviting way since day 2. She was obviously out of her depth and several other booths besides ours had multiple problems with her. Surely there are more enthusiastic planners available in Las Vegas for next year's CES and I invite all to email the LVCoC (Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce) of these two deficits for their correction. 

The fact that eWheels had no Big named Sponsor or sponsored Country designation made us an easy target for contracted floor Security that was probably admonished for being so ineffective and harassing that they were pushed off onto our corner on the outskirts. Of course the nincompoops mentioned earlier had to double down on their ignorant behavior and saw eWheels as their redemption. I hope the organizers saw who the real disruption was, since apparently there were no more supposed "violations", once those two trouble makers were removed from the equation.

I had a fantastic time at the booth, and even chatted with the actual inventor of the EUC as we know it.. This guy with the particularly anonymous, because of its difficulty, name. So we are all used to being the underdogs. B)image.thumb.jpeg.1d6807c5022eb34a96315add28c54223.jpeg

So eWheels isn't allowed to step out of their 20 x 20 confines, but these Relync guys / The Verge can mosey about the whole floor of CES?

Mobility or no mobility, something doesn't add up here = / (read: $$$$$)

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

these Relync guys / The Verge can mosey about the whole floor of CES

At 2 minutes into the video, a woman on a traditional mobility-scooter rolls by... It's kinda hard to distinguish this Relync guy from someone who might actually be disabled. 

(...but yeah, let's get these lazy security guards get off they're butz and harass everyone riding sit-down scooters.) :blink1::angry::(

I can attest to the fact that nobody has so far exaggerated the experience we had at CES, good or bad.  In fact, they've been rather discreet about it, considering the incredible rudeness of many CES and convention center staff we encountered.

@Stan Onymous you missed the "best one":  During load-out we had the unfortunate opportunity to cross paths with one of the nastiest people I've met in years. She yelled at me to "get off that thing and get it out of my area!", then later called my wife over (who was just standing by the car waiting for us) to bitch her out just on general principle (a serious mistake, let me assure you), then got into it with Jason when he tried to get permission to bring a second car in for the load-out.  If it had been a swordfight, @Jason McNeil would be missing an arm right now.

In the end we were forced to flee the convention center without the second vehicle. Instead, Jason heroically carried a folding bicycle and @houseofjob carried a 43" TV (in box) while riding their wheels, around the block and down a section of The Strip, at night.  It was epic.  Wish we'd had a camera for that but it was like the fall of Saigon—we just bailed out as quickly as we could.

And in case it sounds like a total nightmare ... it wasn't.  It was like a miniature EUC convention at the booth, with 8 or 9 of us eventually showing up and sharing tips, stories, etc.  Good times.

1 hour ago, Ombre said:

In the end we were forced to flee the convention center without the second vehicle. Instead, Jason heroically carried a folding bicycle and @houseofjob carried a 43" TV (in box) while riding their wheels, around the block and down a section of The Strip, at night.  It was epic.  Wish we'd had a camera for that but it was like the fall of Saigon—we just bailed out as quickly as we could.

These are what we call memories! Lol! You guys Rock! I am not sure I wouldve had the patience for that kind of brow beating. I for sure would be just stepping out of a holding cell and into main Las Vegas municipal prison population at this point had I stayed for Friday. Judges dont work til Tuesday. Dont ask me how I got that knowledge holstered around the holiday calender.

It was a blast cruising around Vegas strip on these things. The rest of the Convention guests were fantastic! We really got a lot of interest and I hope it translates into more converts. Marc Cuban entered the Convention through a side door near our booth, but charged right by to get into the heart of the show. He winked at me ;)

Good showing of electric unicycles @Jason McNeil with your booth even with the ridiculous CES security breathing down your necks. Swagtron, Fastwheel, Gyroor and other similar ridable companies on the Sands Hall A-D (2nd floor) seemed to have no security at all since they let people freely ride all over the place. 

That DJ that @Stan Onymous ran into is known as Spindizzy on KVEG Las Vegas and he works with and/or sponsored by Solowheel. I ran into him riding around on the 2nd floor Sands and had to literally chase him down on my Msuper V3s+ so my friend could talk to him.

Great to meet all of you guys though and look forward to more EUC representation at other events in the future! 

16 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

On the last day of the show we had the unique honour of being assigned a dedicated security guard glowering over us. 

25830294288_18d7e903ce_b.jpg

15 hours ago, houseofjob said:

So eWheels isn't allowed to step out of their 20 x 20 confines, but these Relync guys / The Verge can mosey about the whole floor of CES?

Suppose @Jason McNeilcould have been deceptive and rode around wearing dark glasses carrying a cane. 

Archived