the BMW Motorcycle Club of Northeast Florida Winter Rally January 12-14.

Bob Eisenman

This seems like a good forum to post this. Several riders have ridden or currently ride motorbikes and several live in Florida. 

Me....I have a motorcycle license acquired during a three day course with no other riding experience. Haven't ridden on one since. The instructor was none too pleased with my twenty foot 'quick stop' in 2006 but consented to my license request. I'm on the mailing list with MotoQuest. I was thinking of buying a bike and riding the Alaska Highway but an email from the office staff at then 'Alaska Riders' essentially said don't do it. Alaska Highway riders should have at least three years of riding experience, including dirt. Many riders along that route burn out with the challenge of uneven surface, mechanical breakdowns and wild life encounters. One suggestion was to read 'Milepost' as part of a 3 year prep.

d1b014cb-4b8b-46e1-b74f-15a2c2800add.png

Baja Riding Season in Full Swing

Feliz Navidad and Merry Christmas! We hope that everyone had a fun and safe Holiday with their loved ones. It was another white Christmas up in Alaska, and the arrival of winter weather marks the end of riding season for many of us here in the United States. But not everyone is hanging up their helmet, because this is the best time of year to escape the cold and retreat to the warm and sunny shores of Baja, Mexico.
097c67fb-34bf-4021-b8f3-af763190439e.jpg
This week's forecast for San Jose del Cabo, at the southern tip of the Baja peninsula. Warm temperatures are typical this time of year.
Our upcoming guided Best of Baja Adventures are filling up fast! We have one full southbound trip and have just a few spots available for ourNorthbound trip and our second Southbound trip. This might be just what you needed after a busy holiday season and start to the new year. Below is a list of the motorcycles we still have available for both trips:
9702f813-1cbc-4424-a107-2c02d2cdeb18.jpg

Best of Baja Northbound Adventure  |  February 15 - 24

We have just two spots remaining for this trip! Here are the available bikes:
  • Suzuki DL650 V-Strom ADV
  • BMW F 700 GS
  • BMW R 1200 GS
b0222ed0-e535-4902-82a0-d8f0c5bdb3e4.jpg

Best of Baja Southbound Adventure  |  March 3 - 12

We have four spots remaining for this trip! Here are the available bikes:
  • BMW F 700 GS
  • BMW F 800 GS
  • Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L
  • BMW R 1200 GS
  • BMW R 1200 RT
  • Harley-Davidson Street Glide
  • Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide
Learn more about our Baja motorcycle tours >
d177b9b6-1ec1-48d6-b3b4-4e73bbf78f3d.jpg
So we'll see you in Baja, then?

Baja Motorcycle Rentals

If those dates do not work for you, or if you would rather create your own motorcycle adventure, we can set you up with a rental motorcycle and get you on your way south of the border. We have already sent customers down the Baja peninsula this winter, and if the pictures are any indication, it looks quite a bit of fun.
c21c78c4-afb9-466b-91bd-2650a2e72c4c.png
This is Martin, a customer from Virginia who took a weeklong, 2600-mile trip from our Long Beach headquarters down to Cabo San Lucas and back again!
a50ba689-3a6a-4960-97db-b9e5a1335126.jpg
Looks like ideal riding weather to us! 
Learn more about Baja motorcycle rentals >

End of Year Booking Special

Book one of these 2018 MotoQuest Adventures by January 1st and we'll pay $250 of the $1000 deposit!

American Southwest Adventure  |  March 11-20, 2018
Wonders of the West Adventure  |  March 31 - April 7, 2018
Pacific Coast Highway Northbound  |  April 28 - May 8, 2018
Isle of Man and Wales Adventure  |  May 25 - June 6, 20187
Trail of Lewis and Clark Adventure  |  September 17-30, 2018
American Southwest Adventure  |  Oct 26 - Nov 4, 2018
Wonders of the West Adventure  |  November 10-17, 2018

f087af22-aede-4b68-9716-db9f97731234.jpg

Upcoming Presentations

Join us at one of our upcoming presentations, or find Kevin and Robyn at the BMW Motorcycle Club of Northeast Florida Winter Rally January 12-14. We'll also be attending the International Motorcycle Shows in Dallas and Chicago in February!

Jan 5 "Baja & Beyond" with RoKo BMW Motorcycles of
Western Oregon
Jan 12-14 BMW MC Club of NE Florida Rally Camp Blanding, FL
Jan 27 Alaska Leather Potluck & Movie
"Peru: Road to Cotahuasi"
Anchorage, AK
Feb 2-4 Dallas Motorcycle Show Dallas, TX
Feb 6 "Alaska & Beyond" with Phil Moto Liberty in Dallas, TX
Feb 7 "Baja & Beyond" with Phil Cycle Center of Denton, TX
Feb 9-11 Chicago Motorcycle Show Chicago, IL
Feb 13 "Alaska & Beyond" with Phil Cycle Werks in Barrington, IL
Feb 15 "Alaska & Beyond" with Phil BMW Motorcycles of
Omaha, NB

View the complete schedule
Was this email forwarded to you? If so, click here to subscribe!

outline-light-facebook-48.png
outline-light-twitter-48.png
outline-light-instagram-48.png
outline-light-link-48.png
Copyright © 2017 MotoQuest, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in or have been a customer.

Our mailing address is:
MotoQuest
2780 Dawson Street
Signal Hill, CA 90755

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

open.php?u=305c73323b16c23f173d16f66&id=725ed8159f&e=26e50e1fe6

2 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I was thinking of buying a bike and riding the Alaska Highway but an email from the office staff at then 'Alaska Riders' essentially said don't do it. Alaska Highway riders should have at least three years of riding experience, including dirt. Many riders along that route burn out with the challenge of uneven surface, mechanical breakdowns and wild life encounters.

Awesome - We could do this on EUC! Who wants to come with we? 

@Marty Backe, you'd be up for a decent range test, wouldn't you?

Though it appears to  -14°C (7°F) just now. That could have an impact on our batteries a bit (and Marty might ice-over too)... Perhaps if we wait until a bit nearer summer?

37 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Go Baja ?

Really ... the motorcycle world embraces the more powerful machine.... Locally the Ducati is blessed.

Oooohh... Are you suggesting that Ducati are better than Gotway?

I'm going to have to tell the US Gotway Ambassador about this...           Marty...

Coincidentally, New Zealand has been quietly working away to provide a National Cycle Trail, which l would love to wheel through. Perhaps l should get a bunch of wheels and invite some of you lot to join me (rather than that Alaska thing)? 

I've been riding motorcycles since I was 15, and scooters even much earlier than that, and rode a lot of sport bikes over a lot of years beyond that.

The majority of those years of riding were not quality years. Let me emphasize that; very very hours of my riding actually improved my riding. The rest was commuting in boring traffic, highway miles, relatively slow riding on curvy roads (but quite illegally fast), and a few times when I could afford it track days which was great during the session but most of the time one just stood around waiting for the next session.

And bikes are expensive. Way more than what EUCs cost. And since the cost per mile is so much greater, not really economically justifiable.

Hands down, in almost every category, EUCs win in almost every category. 

--Accessibility: you can get on an EUC from inside your front door and ride out! Wow! Think about that for a second.

--Cheap(er): a good EUC is now $300 which is just tremendous fun. A great EUC is going to cost you under $2000. Try buying a motorcycle for that price. Then there's insurance, taxes, registration, and all that boring and expensive stuff.

--Crashes: people had terrible crashes all the time in the sport bike community.

--Speed of deployment: I leave my S1 on my front seat and have it ready to ride in two seconds, five if you must include mounting. This is mind-blowing.

--Lean and acceleration: my Gotway is going to kill me one of these days from an over lean, but you can hang off the Gotway and touch the foot pads just like a motorcycle. At all of 15 mph.

--Social: Have you guys ever pulled up to Target on one of these? Unless you look down and avoid eye contact, you're going to be talking to people whether you intend to or not.

--Skills: unlike a motorcycle where the penalty for practicing your skill is death and dismemberment, getting better in an EUC usually results in a sprained/broken wrist and a busted EUC in the worst case. Usually, pushing yourself to your own limit with an EUC results in just a few more scratches on your EUCs foot pads. You get better every time you get on an EUC.

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Let me emphasize that; very very hours of my riding actually improved my riding.

I'm not a rider but have licensed myself through the standard course approach. Most in the class had significant amounts of riding time while on the permit.

https://www.motorcycleridingschool.com

The instructor was a retired State Police officer. His assistant was a nimble Honda 250 rider.

I've moped'ing a few hundred miles on Martha's Vineyard (weekends) was fun. Look out for soft curbs...!! Yikes !!

I worked with an older guy (than myself) who owned two Harleys. He mentioned going 90mph or more on highways... Kinda nervy.

It's sort of common in the summer months to see older looking girl-guy pairs on Harleys doing the warm breezes of summer type of casual rides.

I was out EUCing in the summer a couple summer back. The major  highway was backed up. Bad news bike crash...driver dead, cycle torn of front wheel...passenger in critical condition after hitting the guard rail.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Route-128N-Shut-Down-Due-to-Serious-Crash-in-Beverly-Massachusetts-389322692.html%3Famp%3Dy&ved=0ahUKEwjZnYnpwK3YAhUlct8KHaSmBZ8QFgg3MAM&usg=AOvVaw12beb3QROXaUDklXMYYKPK&ampcf=1

6 hours ago, LanghamP said:

scooters

Here is a 7 minute video clip from 2006 on Martha's Vineyard. At 3:45 the moped stuff starts. The area is Aquinnah, formerly Gay Head. A Lighthouse and beaches are seen. While unpopular with local residents the moped has developed a niche in the summer tourist timeframe. Martha's Vineyard is dead as a doornail by Nov1. Aquinnah is on the side of the Vineyard opposite from where the ferry (Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs) lands.

• 1 month later...

Archived