Posting Pictures from Google Photos???

I've never been successful in posting pictures from my Google Photos account. I always have to upload a copy to my Flickr account and then use that link to get the picture to appear in a Forum post.

I was wondering if there might be some secret sauce to get this to work. Google Photos is huge in term of market share (every Android phone uses the service). It would be great if the Forum would support the service.

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've never been successful in posting pictures from my Google Photos account. I always have to upload a copy to my Flickr account and then use that link to get the picture to appear in a Forum post.

One can use the link from google photos, but it does not show the pic directly - one has to click the link to see the photo :(

I was wondering if there might be some secret sauce to get this to work.

Did not see/find anything...

Google Photos is huge in term of market share (every Android phone uses the service). It would be great if the Forum would support the service.

Google would need to provide sonething like a direct photo link for the forum software to embed the photo...

... Or a special module fir the forum software to "decode" the google link...

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

One can use the link from google photos, but it does not show the pic directly - one has to click the link to see the photo :(

Exactly, that's why I posted this question

Did not see/find anything...

:(

Google would need to provide sonething like a direct photo link for the forum software to embed the photo...

... Or a special module fir the forum software to "decode" the google link...

The link that you get from Google Photos has the same general format that the Flickr link has. So I gather the Forum software was written to support Flickr.

I kind of assumed your response. I thought maybe @John Eucist could query the people behind this software (during a lull in his busy life). Maybe there's a newer version that supports Google Photos. I don't know how this Forum software is maintained or updated.

Of course in the grand scheme of things this isn't important. I just wanted to express the deficiency in case there would be any desire to fix it. Yet maybe I'm the only Forum user who personally uses Google Photos.

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

wondering if there might be some secret sauce to get this to work. Google Photos is huge in term of market share (every Android phone uses the service). It would be great if the Forum would support the service.

Very true. The below method gets no awards for efficiency, has the advantage of keeping the content on the Google cloud. Tried Flickr, Imgr, etc, all have their unique issues.

1. Crop, do limited editing from within Google photos
  2. Download the file(s)
  3. Re-upload to Google Drive
  4. Right-click the file(s), select 'Get Shareable Link', which will be in the format of https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uN8q2gBGICUjTP4IlRrjC2LrDfsrJpgv
  5. Substitute, 'https://drive.google.com/open?id=' with 'http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=' & append the unique file name(s)
  6. Now you can use this URL to insert link into a forum posting  

18 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Very true. The below method gets no awards for efficiency, has the advantage of keeping the content on the Google cloud. Tried Flickr, Imgr, etc, all have their unique issues.

2. Download the file(s)
  3. Re-upload to Google Drive
  4. Right-click the file(s), select 'Get Shareable Link', which will be in the format of https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uN8q2gBGICUjTP4IlRrjC2LrDfsrJpgv
  5. Substitute, 'https://drive.google.com/open?id=' with 'http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=' & append the unique file name(s)
  6. Now you can use this URL to insert link into a forum posting  

You win for innovation :thumbup:

Unfortunately that's more work than my current solution, which is to download and then upload to Flickr. But thanks for the suggestion :)

On 12/26/2017 at 10:47 AM, Jason McNeil said:

2. Download the file(s) (Have a piece of Pizza)
  3. Re-upload to Google Drive ( Have a beer)
  4. Right-click the file(s), select 'Get Shareable Link', which will be in the format of https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uN8q2gBGICUjTP4IlRrjC2LrDfsrJpgv ( Have another piece of Pizza)
  5. Substitute, 'https://drive.google.com/open?id=' with 'http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=' & append the unique file name(s) (Take a bathroom break)
  6. Now you can use this URL to insert link into a forum posting  (ah...relief)

Sorry Jason! I’m sure your process works great! :)

On 12/25/2017 at 7:32 PM, Marty Backe said:

I was wondering if there might be some secret sauce to get this to work. Google Photos is huge in term of market share (every Android phone uses the service). It would be great if the Forum would support the service.

Go to Google Photos, click on the menu bars at top left, scroll down dropdown to settings, scroll down to Google Drive and turn it on, then all your photos from Drive will be in Google Photos.  Left click the photo you want, it expands, right click and select copy image.  Then open new window, open the forum, reply to whatever thread, hit control V and the photo will post.

Yesterday I also downloaded  Backup and Sync, after reading something about it being a new feature.  Don't know if that changed anything in my Google Photos account.  I read something about Google Photos changing something this month.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Go to Google Photos, click on the menu bars at top left, scroll down dropdown to settings, scroll down to Google Drive and turn it on, then all your photos from Drive will be in Google Photos.  Left click the photo you want, it expands, right click and select copy image.  Then open new window, open the forum, reply to whatever thread, hit control V and the photo will post.

Yesterday I also downloaded  Backup and Sync, after reading something about it being a new feature.  Don't know if that changed anything in my Google Photos account.  I read something about Google Photos changing something this month.

I don't use Google Drive. I just want to post pictures directly from my Google Photos account.

But you did just give me an idea; selecting the image, right-clicking on it, and picking Copy Image. I was then able to paste the image into the forum. THANKS!

Strange that pasting a "Shared Link" doesn't work.

9OcuD5a74wYxa8pxiPEpgeO1q1D2o3SxHfMwSRXYtxrfMXVt2LDhHuTu6HespASePEz6YsBFcrltdvmJH8GU4uQvEzdZPGOTIKpb5k75fadoWicpc2QnDhR9Or0GnzEJ1lWjEz0rmj1E7IW_p-CpapDvlf8erTMc3Oki83noKr73-BGInOotkkofsblrfb-94H3g09qZX7qWKjYBYgPnRatQH_AM2iPwFjbMOgPixo_GRyR10j1zNJNS0shEw7dF4ACIbOruyR12KPjcdEneT8fAT5euP7iPfvGxNku0wmJcHRhdTWuf_57kwpsVyQdhNccwNCbtkeoc5TGXCkW2tYsK-T3qDJzTYrIb7X_KzivfZSY5j9u2yiWkCtPFelKC9JyBiPyQjh-vEVkIvOVKLpo_nZ5m1A5GMIyGnUBVeB_xUZjYHAk6AG_TQyYNJxN8k230h32aeRFvuP92c98Ql_xZdJ6gXBQb6JwaVWSd4KaSEdMCHFiKuT8DmUn2Zwqf1TpafYhaF6oWrWa6Kp8nvLcNV0eUmv7zFvqOBYZmt16eTr2ZYwyCtxafeWUwAnxDu2HsSt9EhlqNLx7-eBtBRuEC24dFBTVzyS_EzDE=w1153-h850-no

• 2 weeks later...

The issue with Google Photos is, that by default these images are not public (actually thats not an issue but a good feature), so even with a Link you need to login to Google to prove that you are one with access. You can make Photos or Albums public, then you can use the link but it still wont embed the picture into your post. (At least I havent found a good enough way)

What I do now for single pics, I upload them to imgur.com since they allow pretty quick and anonymous uploads that can be embedded into a post. If necessary I edit the pic first in my preferred editing tool to blur or remove privacy relevant elements.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:21 PM, Marty Backe said:

I don't use Google Drive. I just want to post pictures directly from my Google Photos account.

But you did just give me an idea; selecting the image, right-clicking on it, and picking Copy Image. I was then able to paste the image into the forum. THANKS!

Strange that pasting a "Shared Link" doesn't work.

9OcuD5a74wYxa8pxiPEpgeO1q1D2o3SxHfMwSRXYtxrfMXVt2LDhHuTu6HespASePEz6YsBFcrltdvmJH8GU4uQvEzdZPGOTIKpb5k75fadoWicpc2QnDhR9Or0GnzEJ1lWjEz0rmj1E7IW_p-CpapDvlf8erTMc3Oki83noKr73-BGInOotkkofsblrfb-94H3g09qZX7qWKjYBYgPnRatQH_AM2iPwFjbMOgPixo_GRyR10j1zNJNS0shEw7dF4ACIbOruyR12KPjcdEneT8fAT5euP7iPfvGxNku0wmJcHRhdTWuf_57kwpsVyQdhNccwNCbtkeoc5TGXCkW2tYsK-T3qDJzTYrIb7X_KzivfZSY5j9u2yiWkCtPFelKC9JyBiPyQjh-vEVkIvOVKLpo_nZ5m1A5GMIyGnUBVeB_xUZjYHAk6AG_TQyYNJxN8k230h32aeRFvuP92c98Ql_xZdJ6gXBQb6JwaVWSd4KaSEdMCHFiKuT8DmUn2Zwqf1TpafYhaF6oWrWa6Kp8nvLcNV0eUmv7zFvqOBYZmt16eTr2ZYwyCtxafeWUwAnxDu2HsSt9EhlqNLx7-eBtBRuEC24dFBTVzyS_EzDE=w1153-h850-no

For some reason some of your photos are disappearing.  The ones I posted from Google Photos are still showing. :confused1:

9 minutes ago, steve454 said:

For some reason some of your photos are disappearing.  The ones I posted from Google Photos are still showing. :confused1:

The technique that I tried looks like it uses an auto-generated Google cache link, and I suspect the cached image only lasts a limited time.

So much for that :(

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The technique that I tried looks like it uses an auto-generated Google cache link, and I suspect the cached image only lasts a limited time.

So much for that :(

That's a bummer.  I hope my photos are permanent due to being synced to the Google cloud.

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

Pardon the finger in the picture.  This is from Google photos app.  The forum linked above is from 2015,  maybe google fixed the problem since then.reE9Vyl7AMepgZnBG5bCCzn71spcxZeoRFeTUtaKyAxXGbIs0ZpP7FvdpFLG8eeOoR_eFEfvsArE_3pJM5wql2WhZcpYPzmAXkaDRm2kUQ6Vw5rrUU9EayqZ2eAc8y46l3-HxEHG6YOrcrZaoJwyBAp8XtkMmJw5nPHsb2fhYyc2S13UcOgcC69J7ZJbl2qGgYkf4WVIaYFAdY5gSlxSGVzfNaYxh25uSh-mC5f0hpjWHh1os2fZ72Zhpl29Xnss6LV_oxJ9wAYJVFeK0tokEYoEUlSvZ25PkcJC5x9EIDUXSdx18YWzLn1vw0v7anV43vcPLbdbL_5hwDUwDL44-xy5G-Lg0yOpkC7t7VSZxjU-5Hee2yEN5QKTGdl88j_vdz7yo3aGWLpS8b9WhSrWKl_XTdymaYlySSMk5FQeD35Q4bduFWBMboxTCDoF4gGR0RSVYMLoahtqp2nDXQIYllk8vPtrYicq6xu43MXWrQTyGuySTid8PVcy6bimGcf7nffFB902lNiemvLg8p95RkK17f0SqEG6XwuxhgQKfnQ66-9Z9RK18-TjsTtux7h2HsCw9tw8tANvaQ_Vn4hqfA4dho5X1UI8R7j4uUk=w1177-h662-no

Nice that it works from the phone. No love from my Desktop computer though.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice that it works from the phone. No love from my Desktop computer though.

Not from the phone, my laptop.  I transferred all my phone pictures to the computer.  At first they were in a windows folder, then somehow I transferred them to Drive, installed Backup and Sync, and finally they are all in the Google Photo app in Chrome.  It took a lot of steps, so I'm not even sure how I did it.  Just got lucky I guess. 

I think I read (while trying to figure out how to get my photos in Google Photo)  that it is going away this month (Google Photo) to be replaced by something else, so I may have to use Imgur or something pretty soon.

34 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Not from the phone, my laptop.  I transferred all my phone pictures to the computer.  At first they were in a windows folder, then somehow I transferred them to Drive, installed Backup and Sync, and finally they are all in the Google Photo app in Chrome.  It took a lot of steps, so I'm not even sure how I did it.  Just got lucky I guess. 

I think I read (while trying to figure out how to get my photos in Google Photo)  that it is going away this month (Google Photo) to be replaced by something else, so I may have to use Imgur or something pretty soon.

Oh. You said Google Photos app, which is phone lingo. I didn't know that there was a Google Photos application for the desktop. Oh, your laptop is a Chromebook, which is kind-of a phone. Now I get it.

For now I sticking with Flickr. I run Windows on my Desktop & Laptops.

@Marty Backe God this is blurry.  No it's an Acer 15.6 inch screen laptop bought about 5-6 years ago.  Just took the picture about 10 minutes ago, with my cell phone, USB"d it to the computer, waited a few minutes for it to show in Google Photos,  took some time for Google to process it, kind of like You Tube.  Maybe it is a Chromebook, I don't know.  

I'm thinking the secret sauce is installing Backup and Sync.

g4flM4-YP1MMzjNKfFuXRZQ1hOHn5MOWqR0oF8OCsQeGm6tPnT93ZDYoVBt9dp2piM5SVGp109Adw-gMesVSSFywWmSXzX6aR8d59slUUPK9U3GB6si1Fgo23O6VjyXS7zBqlqmWMDLSTC5qe3SMXxn46w8EkuaMYTllH03BB7wqC3m0TyGLG9pfvkJ-___nkjSM9R23L7AJCQHo_WDetc5wplz33By8ocZqAoGWym5VNIcRSmiF2Ey5r0kAha3wd62jQo28sKorhNP0kZOV2O-Ug0FmdwGbyAgK-IcWbNfRpQMMcXTE0yroOGPgPSD2WCwYEclUG9p19PoBQ4tfPqHb3SBUVSdX7HrgxJtMuO1FqXn40Tbg5gbkRpsR09UIBmhzQSZhTneZ5H2yt3t1I0bVbxsQO9TT2Gjb_cx3xkGVjrSR-adCP7etjYCqSO37785R6JPKsNa96OAzMDsidgkIOg_5qRhFmtZf1v9_8Fq5gAFbajrs1svlqaWn-5GULvGJ5Stek061L2tJZcdp7A_oCil71i-WM2iMjFjHwjh_L-2bUes25KBrNaJyc5lg1iQzh6AOnoL2zKlvLMwDPOi9esEJI1_AYcMznU0=w1177-h662-no

15 minutes ago, steve454 said:

@Marty Backe God this is blurry.  No it's an Acer 15.6 inch screen laptop bought about 5-6 years ago.  Just took the picture about 10 minutes ago, with my cell phone, USB"d it to the computer, waited a few minutes for it to show in Google Photos,  took some time for Google to process it, kind of like You Tube.  Maybe it is a Chromebook, I don't know.  

I'm thinking the secret sauce is installing Backup and Sync.

g4flM4-YP1MMzjNKfFuXRZQ1hOHn5MOWqR0oF8OCsQeGm6tPnT93ZDYoVBt9dp2piM5SVGp109Adw-gMesVSSFywWmSXzX6aR8d59slUUPK9U3GB6si1Fgo23O6VjyXS7zBqlqmWMDLSTC5qe3SMXxn46w8EkuaMYTllH03BB7wqC3m0TyGLG9pfvkJ-___nkjSM9R23L7AJCQHo_WDetc5wplz33By8ocZqAoGWym5VNIcRSmiF2Ey5r0kAha3wd62jQo28sKorhNP0kZOV2O-Ug0FmdwGbyAgK-IcWbNfRpQMMcXTE0yroOGPgPSD2WCwYEclUG9p19PoBQ4tfPqHb3SBUVSdX7HrgxJtMuO1FqXn40Tbg5gbkRpsR09UIBmhzQSZhTneZ5H2yt3t1I0bVbxsQO9TT2Gjb_cx3xkGVjrSR-adCP7etjYCqSO37785R6JPKsNa96OAzMDsidgkIOg_5qRhFmtZf1v9_8Fq5gAFbajrs1svlqaWn-5GULvGJ5Stek061L2tJZcdp7A_oCil71i-WM2iMjFjHwjh_L-2bUes25KBrNaJyc5lg1iQzh6AOnoL2zKlvLMwDPOi9esEJI1_AYcMznU0=w1177-h662-no

Your photography skills are improving ;)

Archived