Genghis Khan Equestrian Statue

Bob Eisenman

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2017 at 2:02 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

Imagine riding your Kingsong 18S to this one !

I found this picture of the 'Khan' Memorial by using Google Earth linked pictures in about Dec 2017 ( or more likely Nov?)

114001256.jpg

Last week while I was using Google Earth on Android it displayed the typical icon overlay for Panorimo pictures in my town but returned the following message about Panorimo's discontinuation when attempting to view the geo-located pictures.

I wasn't aware that Panorimo had been shut down by Google and was surprised that the Khan picture was still 'preserved' in a Panorimo linked layer

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/114001256.jpg

81747.png

I remember reading about some kind of Nov 2017 final shutdown-display date for Panorimo too.

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Panorimo's discontinuation

A number of years ago I was practicing golf hits at the driving range. I hit the mat hard on one swing and caused some sort of persisting deep shoulder pain lasting most of the winter months that followed.

Having worked with a Russian speaking woman, born in Kyrgyzstan, with a PhD from Virginia Commonwealth and another Ukrainian born (Kiev?) woman who couldn't believe I'd never heard of Lake Baikal, I used my recuperation time to make a set of Google Place marks along major rivers in Russia. I would follow the major rivers and view Panorimo photos of the surrounding areas as my mapping of these rivers progressed.

At one point I learned of a canal (built in late 1800s) which connected the Ob river to the Yenisei river in Russia. Sure enough I found a few pictures on Google Earth's Panorimo that showed the Ob to Yenisei canal also known as the Ket to Kas (lesser river tributary names) canal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ob–Yenisei_Canal

My map stuff for Google Earth is on my laptop which I use on the library's internet. I guess I'll not be able to see those and other pictures because the Panorimo shut down took effect. I really enjoyed that mapping exploration project.

If you are interested in seeing larger Russian rivers then my mapping project (zipped kml) can be downloaded from my Google Drive site:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B07we0osMR1zVkJwRmZwUExKZVE/view?usp=drivesdk

Various old trade routes using some of the Western Russian rivers leading from the Baltic to the Black sea can be seen including areas of land portage.

The vast Siberian region, east of the Urals is home to many gas and oil fields and can be visually referenced to various major rivers which flow northward to the Artic waters. 

A number of dams producing power (one of my Russian colleagues father was involved in river dam construction ) can be seen on some rivers (Ex near western end of Lake Baikal).

Archived