Charging battery outside EUC

Jico

Since the Tesla side panels open with only 4 screws, I got to thinking: what would it take to charge an extra couple of battery packs, separately from the unicycle?  

For many use cases, this approach cures a lot of range anxiety associated with the Tesla, without adding weight to the main unit.  For example, I might charge batteries at a friendly coffee shop, while draining the installed set by exploring the city.  When I run low on juice, just come back for quick swap—back in business.

I think it’s just a matter of finding the right adaptors to plug your charger into the battery packs.  Does anyone know what parts I would need to accomplish this?

Moreover, you could use those newly-freed large capacity battery packs for other things: like charging your laptop, phone, etc.  I expect you’d need another adapter for this.  Any insight, friends?

13 hours ago, Jico said:

I think it’s just a matter of finding the right adaptors to plug your charger into the battery packs.  Does anyone know what parts I would need to accomplish this?

I don’t know the inside of the Tesla at all and as others have said continuously removing the panels will wreck the threads. However that is not insurmountable if you wish to do it, you could probably fit metal inserts into the plastic with machine screws that bolt into them. Either possibly T-nuts like here: https://m.banggood.com/Fouer-Prong-Furniture-T-Nut-Inserts-For-Wood-Zinc-Plated-M3M4M5M6M8M12-p-1054463.html?rmmds=search or, probably better something like this: https://m.banggood.com/100Pcs-M3-x-6mm-Brass-Knurled-Nuts-Insert-Female-Thread-Round-Insert-Embedded-Nuts-p-1184384.html?rmmds=search

As to connectors, the ones on most batteries are standard in model electric radio control and readily available from lots of sources. Typically what is called a Deans connector or T-plug connector is used on the charging side and an XT connector on the power side: The whole range of electric flight type connectors can be found here: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/workbench-hardware/hardware-accessories/wires-connectors/battery-esc-motor.html  to Charge two batteries you can either make a Y lead or the above link sell those as well.

Again, I do not know the Tesla well enough to be sure but many wheels use the aviation GX16 connector on the charger, usually the GX16-3 (I.e. the 3 pin version) or GX16-4 (4 pin) These are also easily available on EBay etc. Like here for example: https://m.banggood.com/GX16-3-Pin-16mm-Male-Female-Wire-Panel-Circular-Connector-Aviation-Socket-Plug-p-1117625.html . Of course you may also be able to buy the charging harness with all the right connectors on it as a Gotway spare part?

The bit likely to cause you most trouble is your last statement - using the batteries to charge other things. I don’t think the world is awash with 84v d.c. to 12V, 5V etc adapters, but you may find something suitable if you search hard enough?

we are taliking about 2 x 510 wh packs, worth about 800bucks....

They are connected inside the Tesla via standard XT60 adapters and yes, after opening the side panels you could swap them easily.

Charge port is btw GX16-4.

It would not be possible to change only one pack,which was charged outside, as both packs always have to be on the same voltage, connecting a fully charged one to a drained is a pretty bad idea.

So if you want to charge outside, you have to change both packs. The screws of the sidepanels are not build to open them on a daily basis, they would wear out.

Conclusion: In theorie you can do this all, but in real life this all isnt worth it.

This replacement packs wouldnt help you for any laptop, mobiles or whatnot...They are just the wrong voltage, and you would need a down or upscaler to use them.

15 hours ago, Jico said:

Since the Tesla side panels open with only 4 screws, I got to thinking: what would it take to charge an extra couple of battery packs, separately from the unicycle?  

For many use cases, this approach cures a lot of range anxiety associated with the Tesla, without adding weight to the main unit.  For example, I might charge batteries at a friendly coffee shop, while draining the installed set by exploring the city.  When I run low on juice, just come back for quick swap—back in business.

Moreover, you could use those newly-freed large capacity battery packs for other things: like charging your laptop, phone, etc.  I expect you’d need another adapter for this.  Any insight, friends?

I routinely carry two spare 310wh packs on my back for my Ninebot, each weighing 1.77kg with case (1.55kg without), in addition to an external light with 4x18650s (625g). I assume 2x510wh packs would weigh 4.5-5kg + carry cases. Depending on your own age, weight and physical condition, that additional weight may be negligible, but it will take its toll on the joints (knees, ankles, hips) and spine, especially over longer distances. Also, if you were to crash, you would have the additional force of that accelerated mass pushing your upper torso in the direction of travel, making a faceplant into the road surface much worse.

On my Ninebot, a battery swap requires less than 30 seconds and no tools, but it is much harder to do in cold weather and precipitation. I can imagine that fumbling wth eight small screws on the side of the road and two heavy packs would be even less enjoyable.

15 hours ago, Jico said:

I think your better bet is to get another wheel for the longer rides. If I want to go for a 50-mile ride I'll grab my ACM. With Gotway you have three options; ACM, MSuper, and the Monster. KingSong only has one long distance wheel - the KS18S.

9 hours ago, Keith said:

[N]ot insurmountable if you wish to do it, you could probably fit metal inserts into the plastic with machine screws that bolt into...

Of course you may also be able to buy the charging harness with all the right connectors on it as a Gotway spare part?

I don’t think the world is awash with 84v d.c. to 12V, 5V etc adapters, but you may find something suitable if you search hard enough?

8 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

They are connected inside the Tesla via standard XT60 adapters and yes, after opening the side panels you could swap them easily.

Charge port is... GX16-4.

Good thoughts guys, thanks for the info! 

4 hours ago, litewave said:

5kg... will take its toll on the joints (knees, ankles, hips) and spine, especially over longer distances. Also, if you were to crash, you would have the additional force of that accelerated mass pushing your upper torso in the direction of travel, making a faceplant into the road surface much worse.

...fumbling with eight small screws on the side of the road and two heavy packs would be even less enjoyable.

8 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

It would not be possible to change only one pack, which was charged outside.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think your better bet is to get another wheel for the longer rides.

15 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

[M]y feet would actually fall off before i killed a Tesla battery in a day let alone one ride.

My example use case involved charging a backup pair of battery packs in a secure area, and returning for swaps.  Certainly, a long 1-way trip with backup battery packs would require carrying extra weight and fiddling.  If attempting that, I'd want some sort of saddle storage for the EUC to take weight off my back.  Or, if arch-busting long trips was the primary use case, I'd want a different wheel.

19 hours ago, Jico said:

For example, I might charge batteries at a friendly coffee shop, while draining the installed set by exploring the city.  When I run low on juice, just come back for quick swap—back in business.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually you could use the two packs for charging electronics as well. Most modern chargers for laptops, cell phones and other electronics accept voltage between 110V and 240V which you would fit in if you connected the two packs in series (84+84=168V) instead of parallel as they are in the unicycle. Also no need to worry about the chargers normally using AC instead of DC as they convert to DC anyway and the conversion circuit can accept DC current without any harm. So no additional HW except right connectors would be needed.

However you should not really be ready to put your life in risk based on information from random person from internet as mishandling/shorting these batteries can have disastrous consequences. 

Having said that have a look at this video (Justin is known expert mainly on ebikes) so you at least have two sources. He is using batteries with much more advanced BMSs but same principle applies to our unicycle batteries:

Archived