GotWay Tesla 1020 unboxing, first thoughts and comparison

Bryan Wells

this is becoming really scary to look at waiting for my tesla as a first wheel....:o

but i will do my best to make it look like a pillow not just a little but more like a bed :D

and not drive fast until i nail the technique -_-

does it sound like a plan or a sentence?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

and not drive fast until i nail the technique 

There are 100 ways to drop it at almost no speed, when you're new.  Don't assume slow is safe.  Make sure it's well protected before you try to ride it, if you want it to look good, into the future.

7 minutes ago, Smoother said:

There are 100 ways to drop it at almost no speed, when you're new.  Don't assume slow is safe.  Make sure it's well protected before you try to ride it, if you want it to look good, into the future.

Now by "not driving fast until i nail the technique" 

i meant nit going 40 kph day 3 of learning 

and staying below 20 and then just raise the limit if i feel like i want to

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

Now by "not driving fast until i nail the technique" 

i meant nit going 40 kph day 3 of learning 

and staying below 20 and then just raise the limit if i feel like i want to

My first wheel had a maximum speed less than 20km/h - and it has caused and received its fair share of damage. 

Well it has been 1 month and 305 miles and zero issues so far, not one single drop, no pedal scrape, no cut offs and an average riding speed of 16mph with most long roads hitting 25mph constantly. Have yet to find anything it cant do/climb, very pleased with the Tesla.

27875049809_06628b360b_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

I did end up padding the side of the wheel with 9mm foam used for underlining  jetski turf.

24784328667_58a8e8e0e2_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

38944487494_4ecba2b20a_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

3 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

Mine's problem-free since October as well. Will be keeping this since no other reasonably-priced wheel is significantly faster than the Tesla.

What EUC is faster then the Tesla?

I thought it’s the fastest production wheel out there..

On ‎06‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 12:23 AM, Smoother said:

Thank you so much for helping me to get into the world of eucs

i was out riding reached 35 kph.. Its getting faster

i will probably end up cruisng 50 kph :D

probably not but damn that ride is smooth

you pushed me the last step into getting a euc 3 months later i have my one wheeled death machine

i drove past 2 of my classmates 

i almost blew them off their feet :wacko: :D

Don't overestimate yourself. Right after you have managed to ride is the most dangerous phase. You have no idea how to brake in emergency situations or react to sudden obstacles, you aren't used to the speed youre actually going, and so on. Don't push it too fast (though I understand you want to feel the top speed). Take it slow.

Just watch where you're going. Literally the ground. EUC safety tip #1.

Other than that, have fun. Must be great going from Minipro speeds and leg steering to EUC speeds with mind control steering.

36 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

This is crazy dangerous in particular for an inexperienced rider like you seem to be and on a Tesla, where this may happen:

If you care for your own safety and health, keep it below 25km/h for at least the first few months of riding.

Your legs and knees must learn to serve as suspension compensating for any imperfections of the road which becomes the more a vital feature the higher the speed is.

2 hours ago, Shad0z said:

probably not but damn that ride is smooth

you pushed me the last step into getting a euc 3 months later i have my one wheeled death machine

i drove past 2 of my classmates 

i almost blew them off their feet :wacko: :D

Do your Health a favor, and dont drive to fast in the beginning!

If so, i can nearly promise, that an unexspected street bump or crack on a higher speed will kick you off the wheel!

Just take some time before you are gettiing speed devil! You have to be able to handle all kind of unexspected street situations before.

But your choice....

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Do your Health a favor, and dont drive to fast in the beginning!

If so, i can nearly promise, that an unexspected street bump or crack on a higher speed will kick you off the wheel!

Just take some time before you are gettiing speed devil! You have to be able to handle all kind of unexspected street situations before.

But your choice....

i drive max 30 kph

The idea is, your first crash should be at a speed where not too much happens. So 25km/h or less, ideally (though you already geared up with protection right from the start, which is great) Right now, you have no experience regarding speed vs. danger etc - a crash (even a small one) really helps you judge that stuff (worked for me:efee8319ab:).

I would just like to add @Shad0z even if you do take it easy in the beginning, and then speed it up later, this is no guarantee that something won't dump you off at high speed in the future.  It doesn't have to be your fault, but when you come off at speed, there is nothing like the feeling of your knees, hands, chest and face being slammed into the road at high speed.  Well, there is something like it, its called pain,  a lot of pain.  And sometimes that pain is accompanied by injury and damage to the wheel.  I don't want to sound like your father, but you haven't experienced enough of life (at your age) to fully realize just how quickly things that seemed just fine one moment, can go wrong in an instant.  Most of us old men here have had multiple experiences of "oh shit" moments in a wide variety of circumstances, including:

Bicycles

Dirt bikes

Street Bikes

Jet skis

Cars

Race cars

Hang Gliding

Paragliding

Skiing

Water skiing

wakeboarding

go karts

etc etc

Our advice comes from hundreds of years of collective experience, and from a desire that no one else has to suffer what we have suffered, if it can be avoided.  Take some time at low speed to REALLY learn all the ways of wheeling.  There's a lot of fun to be had at lower speeds, like, off-road trails, or exploring your area.

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

I would just like to add @Shad0z even if you do take it easy in the beginning, and then speed it up later, this is no guarantee that something won't dump you off at high speed in the future.  It doesn't have to be your fault, but when you come off at speed, there is nothing like the feeling of your knees, hands, chest and face being slammed into the road at high speed.  Well, there is something like it, its called pain,  a lot of pain.  And sometimes that pain is accompanied by injury and damage to the wheel.  I don't want to sound like your father, but you haven't experienced enough of life (at your age) to fully realize just how quickly things that seemed just fine one moment, can go wrong in an instant.  Most of us old men here have had multiple experiences of "oh shit" moments in a wide variety of circumstances, including:

Bicycles

Dirt bikes

Street Bikes

Jet skis

Cars

Race cars

Hang Gliding

Paragliding

Skiing

Water skiing

wakeboarding

go karts

etc etc

Our advice comes from hundreds of years of collective experience, and from a desire that no one else has to suffer what we have suffered, if it can be avoided.  Take some time at low speed to REALLY learn all the ways of wheeling.  There's a lot of fun to be had at lower speeds, like, off-road trails, or exploring your area.

yes i will admit that i turned up the speed limit to 35 today but i have rode it at 35 in a long time now and i think its fine 40 isnt needed at all

and i listen to all of youre great advide and i dont take the fact lighty of falling 

and its not that im expecting that everything will be sunshine and rainbow because one day i will come off and it will be painfull

and i thank you all for advice im always watching the road infront of me and trying to be generally aware and i have tried pretty painfull stuff and i could not imagine how bad a "Faceplant" at 45 kph could be :wacko:

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The idea is, your first crash should be at a speed where not too much happens. So 25km/h or less, ideally (though you already geared up with protection right from the start, which is great) Right now, you have no experience regarding speed vs. danger etc - a crash (even a small one) really helps you judge that stuff (worked for me:efee8319ab:).

i know it is dangerous path hitiing max 35 kph but honestly i cant be sitting around waiting to crash a low speed (happen in like 100 years)

i will at some point no matter how much i practice come off on the wheel at speed and that will make me think about things differently 

but i get it i dont want to start riding at 35 kph when i can barely balance at day 1 for example

and i really feel like im hitting the point where the steep part o the learning curve has ended and now its just slow improvement i was out riding with other euc guys i meet on facebook one has drive for 2,5 years :o i was at day 3 he told me i was doing very nice (not so much wobble, nice smooth accelerations, going over bumps going up and down steep grasshills) so i think i hagve nailed down most of the important stuff but i will learn more and realize more 

sounds like you are enjoying the new ride! The most important skill in my opinion is actually being able to ride at least 15- 20 feet one legged and the reason is you then become and expert at mounting and dismounting the wheel. you can smoothly push off with one foot and not need to instantly get it to the pedal to keep yourself from stalling out. In situations where you decide it's time to cross the road so you start to push off with one foot to soon realize that you need to stop because a car is coming you then can relaxingly place you foot back on the ground without having to fully mount and fully unmount. It becomes huge in city's where smooth stop/starts are what really matters.

40 minutes ago, Bryan Wells said:

sounds like you are enjoying the new ride! The most important skill in my opinion is actually being able to ride at least 15- 20 feet one legged and the reason is you then become and expert at mounting and dismounting the wheel. you can smoothly push off with one foot and not need to instantly get it to the pedal to keep yourself from stalling out. In situations where you decide it's time to cross the road so you start to push off with one foot to soon realize that you need to stop because a car is coming you then can relaxingly place you foot back on the ground without having to fully mount and fully unmount. It becomes huge in city's where smooth stop/starts are what really matters.

I did one foot yesterday i wasnt expecting to be able to do it but its almost as easy as riding normally.

i feel like i have the mounts and dismounts very well under control  i can easily without thinking about it hop on and off  

and i feel like the wheel is extention of body when riding i think of it as im gliding on air not thinking about wheel

but there is one thing..

that still is there..

that bugs me...

the wheel pressing in agains knee and no im not pushing on wheel its like its big that i automatically have my legs against it 

it is like a little loose but not much

recently i started moving the wheel more than my body

when turning but it still hurt how long time till it stops? Anything to make better?:wacko:

wp_ss_20180115_0001.png

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

ext?w=800&h=800&hash=HMVXYErTyPOMQMD9op5

this explains why i cant limit my tesla to 20 kph forever

if i want to learn riding better then i have to get some speed i might crash? Wheel is in progress of even more padding and me? Well i will get my painfull experience

(im not gonna crash on purpose that would be silly)

you have to touch the hot stove to be truly scared of it

On ‎14‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 1:59 PM, Mono said:

This is crazy dangerous in particular for an inexperienced rider like you seem to be and on a Tesla, where this may happen:

If you care for your own safety and health, keep it below 25km/h for at least the first few months of riding.

Your legs and knees must learn to serve as suspension compensating for any imperfections of the road which becomes the more a vital feature the higher the speed is.

why on earth did he even fall?

it looked more like a cut out to me

unicycle rolls foward

and mistake is: He has his legs straight not bent so insted of his legs bending to absorb chock he just jumps up and fals hard on front side of the pedals thus throwing the pedals fast foward And unicycle stops

and he falls 

(EDIT: he rides over very small bump while looking at phone (you can see as he falls he slings his hand with the phone outwards to save it)

38 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

this explains why i cant limit my tesla to 20 kph forever

if i want to learn riding better then i have to get some speed i might crash? Wheel is in progress of even more padding and me? Well i will get my painfull experience

(im not gonna crash on purpose that would be silly)

you have to touch the hot stove to be truly scared of it

Ah, but you missed the connection with my previous post.  "Experience comes from poor judgment" yes.......But it doesn't have to be YOUR poor judgement.:)   There's another saying: "learn from other people's mistakes".

However, you seem to be picking it up very quickly. Is that the leg nearest the trolley handle?  A lot of EUC have poorly designed leg padding.  Others have complained about the handle rubbing the leg on the Tesla, but then they say it goes away.  Maybe it will go in a day or two.

Archived