My KS18S Review and Ongoing Observations

Marty Backe

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Agree with you. But on this one (highlighted in bold) point I still don't get it. I'm an experienced rider on this wheel type and I decide to buy another one because I sold my existing wheel to a friend. Now I'm stuck at lower speed for 4-months (or more). It's stupid no matter how you look at it (imho).

I thought you can unlock it. That's what I did with my KS16s at zero miles. 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I thought you can unlock it. That's what I did with my KS16s at zero miles. 

we dont talk about the 20kmh lock! That "beginner Lock" ALL  KS wheels have and you can unlock it whenever you want by the correct code!

The 18S has a 40kmh lock, which only goes away after driving 1000km or 620miles, and then is free to 50kmh.....

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think I'm going to stop talking about which wheel is faster because I'm never going to push the speed limits. So I have nothing objective to add. Instead I'll talk about acceleration and the ease at which you can go fast.

In my opinion the MSuper V3s+ (84-volt) has an easier time achieving 23+ mph speeds than the KS18S.

The MSuper still feels more maneuverable than the the KS18S, and on the limited mountain riding that I've done, it was harder to grip the slippery KS18S shell when driving the wheel up a steep incline. Of course the shell padding could be modified to help, but out-of-the-box, the MSuper is an easier wheel to grip with your legs. 

I think your knee pads are in the way since the padding is about knee height.  I don’t have any issues gripping the unit mainly with the bottom of my knees and feel really grippy.  That is because I don’t have knee pads. I felt I couldn’t grip the Msuper as well.  Also keep in mind the KS18S looks bigger, but is lighter than the Msuper by 5 lbs or more.  I can’t remember the exact number.  The Msuper closer to 50lbs the KS18S is closer to 40lbs. 

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Agree with you. But on this one (highlighted in bold) point I still don't get it. I'm an experienced rider on this wheel type and I decide to buy another one because I sold my existing wheel to a friend. Now I'm stuck at lower speed for 4-months (or more). It's stupid no matter how you look at it (imho).

Think it is like someone else suggested, the 1000km unlock isn’t only for rider experience.  It is for proper burn in of the wheel to get the kinks out.  Or anything that excape their QC, like with the gotway wheels.   How many issue have you had with those wheels in the first 1000km.  After, which you can feel fairly confident to let your customers ride the above 40km, killing your customer speeds.  LOL

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Also keep in mind the KS18S looks bigger, but is lighter than the Msuper by 5 lbs or more.  I can’t remember the exact number.  The Msuper closer to 50lbs the KS18S is closer to 40lbs. 

You only have the 840wh Version, or? The 18S 1680wh Version is heavier than the MS3....

11 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

You only have the 840wh Version, or? The 18S 1680wh Version is heavier than the MS3....

Yes, I do have the 840wh version.  How heavy is the 1680wh version?  I found the weights I did last time for the 3 wheels...

"My KS18S 840wh is only 45lbs, only little heavier than my KS16 also 840wh, 42.5lbs, both of which are lighter than the GW Msuper v3s+ 1300wh coming in at 48.5lbs"

6 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Yes, I do have the 840wh version.  How heavy is the 1680wh version?  Can’t be 10lbs for 840wh is it?

Dont know the exact numbers in lbs...my 18S is nearly 23,5kg  while the MS3+ is nearly the same.

840wh are about 3,7 - 4kg

Can you lift the KS18 with both hands, one hand on the handle an the other at the joint of the footpaths?

The MSuper can only be lifted by the handle whereas the KS16 and the KS14c can grabbed by both hands.

To me, this little thing is actually a big thing! It makes moving the wheel much safer, and easier on your body.

5 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I think your knee pads are in the way since the padding is about knee height.  I don’t have any issues gripping the unit mainly with the bottom of my knees and feel really grippy.  That is because I don’t have knee pads. I felt I couldn’t grip the Msuper as well.  Also keep in mind the KS18S looks bigger, but is lighter than the Msuper by 5 lbs or more.  I can’t remember the exact number.  The Msuper closer to 50lbs the KS18S is closer to 40lbs. 

My knee pads don't feel like they are interfering, but I'll experiment a bit today. However, I'm not willing to remove my knee pads for a better grip :(

1 hour ago, outcast00096 said:

You can lift the KS18 by the foot pad when folded. I've done it multiple times to put it into my car. You could lift it with one hand on the handle and the other on the folded up footpad.

This is what I do on all of my heavier wheels.

5 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Think it is like someone else suggested, the 1000km unlock isn’t only for rider experience.  It is for proper burn in of the wheel to get the kinks out.  Or anything that excape their QC, like with the gotway wheels.   How many issue have you had with those wheels in the first 1000km.  After, which you can feel fairly confident to let your customers ride the above 40km, killing your customer speeds.  LOL

I don't buy it. So if there is a problem with the wheel it's OK to crash at 25-mph? They just don't want you to crash at higher speeds??? And there are no burn-in concerns for the 14S or 16S.

No, whoever thought of that 'excuse' didn't think it through, imho. 

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't buy it. So if there is a problem with the wheel it's OK to crash at 25-mph? They just don't want you to crash at higher speeds??? And there are no burn-in concerns for the 14S or 16S.

No, whoever thought of that 'excuse' didn't think it through, imho. 

I remember seeing a commercial about car cashes saying something about the fatality of a crash at 30mph...  5mph makes a huge difference in a crash.

59 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is what I do on all of my heavier wheels.

This is where a picture is worth a thousand words. Lifting and carrying the MSuper with both hands eludes me unless I'm wearing gloves, and even then the edges are sharp.

It's probably something really simple and stupid, but how on earth are you guys using the foot pads to move the wheel?

12 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

This is where a picture is worth a thousand words. Lifting and carrying the MSuper with both hands eludes me unless I'm wearing gloves, and even then the edges are sharp.

It's probably something really simple and stupid, but how on earth are you guys using the foot pads to move the wheel?

Video at 10 :)

@Marty Backe, ah, here is something regarding 25mph vs 30mph - https://www.wired.com/2014/11/lowering-nycs-speed-limit-just-5-mph-can-save-lot-lives/

“I’d estimate that a person is about 74 percent more likely to be killed if they’re struck by vehicles traveling at 30 mph than at 25 mph,”

with EUC's we are the vehicle and the person.  LOL

3 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

@Marty Backe, ah, here is something regarding 25mph vs 30mph - https://www.wired.com/2014/11/lowering-nycs-speed-limit-just-5-mph-can-save-lot-lives/

“I’d estimate that a person is about 74 percent more likely to be killed if they’re struck by vehicles traveling at 30 mph than at 25 mph,”

with EUC's we are the vehicle and the person.  LOL

I can believe that.

But you don't honestly think that's why KingSong is limiting the speed only on the KS18S :confused1:

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I can believe that.

But you don't honestly think that's why KingSong is limiting the speed only on the KS18S :confused1:

only the KS18S has a 50km/h speed limit, the KS16S has a 35km/h speed limit.  You think the KS16S is capable of 50km/h?  I don't know, I rather not find out if the margins are not there.

38 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

only the KS18S has a 50km/h speed limit, the KS16S has a 35km/h speed limit.  You think the KS16S is capable of 50km/h?  I don't know, I rather not find out if the margins are not there.

Of course not. This thread has been lost ...

Well I, for one, appreciate the time and effort you put into trying all wheels with no bias other than your personal use cases. I am still leaning towards an msuper for my first high capacity wheel but am quite interested in your experiences on the KS18s in comparison to the Msuper. In particular, you mentioned you believe the msuper would be better for mountain trails but you didn't really explain why. I'm particularly interested in a comparison between these two wheels from someone who has actually put in a lot of hours and is comfortable on a msuper.

14 minutes ago, electricpen said:

Well I, for one, appreciate the time and effort you put into trying all wheels with no bias other than your personal use cases. I am still leaning towards an msuper for my first high capacity wheel but am quite interested in your experiences on the KS18s in comparison to the Msuper. In particular, you mentioned you believe the msuper would be better for mountain trails but you didn't really explain why. I'm particularly interested in a comparison between these two wheels from someone who has actually put in a lot of hours and is comfortable on a msuper.

There are some of those comparisons here. I have owned a V3 67Volt and the 18S at the same time and also know the V3s+.

Cruising, commuting, reliability=18S, a smaller, easier moveable wheel for mountain or  offroad tracks=V3(s).

More to read in my 18S review(diary).

To the 40-50kmh Lock "feature"...i guess we can all agree it might be meant good...but is stupid done/implemented! 

now lets see/hear/read more of Marty's experience ;-)

15 minutes ago, electricpen said:

Thanks. I'm probably going to take the KS18S into the mountains this weekend (to my favorite testing grounds), so I will have a good feel for how it compares to the MSuper in steep terrain, soon.

Archived