IPS 191 Turns on but starts beeping constantly

Ameens

Hi, I'm new to this website and I need help with my IPS 191

I remember that I charged my EUC last week and tonight when turned it on, it started to beep constantly. The battery must be full as the green light won't blink. It sounds like the time when you crash and it suddenly starts to beep and flash lights!

Has anyone experienced this problem?

I own a Llohtz IPS 191 which I purchased last December and It has been lightly used since. (50miles on the mileage)

The app connects but shows no battery whatsoever! Unfortunately, the charger light shows green as soon as I plug that in. So, I'm confused...!

Is it the charger or I'm going to have to investigate it further? I just don't know where to start.

tnx

@Ameens

Lithium Ion chargers are pretty simple devices in the way they work.

When the LED is red it indicates significant charge current is flowing.

When the LED is green it indicates very little current is flowing (less than approx 100mA so possible none at all. current drops When the battery is close to fully charged, that is why they work that way.

So all you know so far is that your battery isn’t taking a charge, that could be a charger fault or a battery fault or connection problem between the two.

Search on this forum, this has been discussed loads of times, but bottom line is battery should be (if 16 cells) between 50V at its lowest and 67.2  Volts at its highest. The charger, not connected to the battery should sit at or close to 67.2V.

Be damned careful checking voltage a short circuit across the battery terminals can release a LOT of energy and burn you or set light to the battery.

Also check for proper connection on the balancing cables that come from the main board, since the app can't show the voltage it's most likely that the connection is not properly seated or one/more cables to the battery are broken.

If you check from the APP you should be able to see the individual battery voltage if all is right. Following is how to check from the IPS App

On 12.12.2017 at 10:10 AM, IPS Malta said:

Also check for proper connection on the balancing cables that come from the main board, since the app can't show the voltage it's most likely that the connection is not properly seated or one/more cables to the battery are broken.

If you check from the APP you should be able to see the individual battery voltage if all is right. Following is how to check from the IPS App

Wow... just now realized what you were telling me back then. That it's possible to see the the individual cell voltages without opening the case! My mind is blown. Big thanks for that! 

Why is this very useful feature hidden so deep in the app? Are there more of these hidden features in the app? Just curious....

also for your reference regarding the new app and the i5, I also found a place (like with the cell voltage) where it says the current, but that is actually also represented on the wattage on the main screen. Forgot if I could see this on the LHOTZ and Zero though, but thinking about it, it can help you also determine why your battery drains quicker than mine if that works on the LHOTZ, at least by comparing figures to someone else on similar ride conditions (weight, tire pressure and road)

• 4 weeks later...

You need to get a replacement charger asap! 

The batteries are obviously low which is not good for them long term and if they drop too low you won' be able to charge them.

Lithium batteries tend to be best kept between about 40% and 80% charge for minimum deterioration.

I think you'l find that only 2 of the 4 pins are connected so any euc charger of the correct voltage could be used if you cut the wire to the 4 pin plug and join it to a good charger, just use your meter to make sure you get the polarity the correct way around!

I don't think it is a problem to store the batteries at lower charge values as long as they don't get into deep discharge (which would eventually happen from self-discharge).

IPS normally states low voltage on lowest cell voltage (rather than the overall pack), this should safeguard a bit on the battery over discharge unless you keep pushing it too much. Charging the lowest cell happens all time by balancing so the moment you try it again you will find more juice.

3 hours ago, IPS Malta said:

IPS normally states low voltage on lowest cell voltage (rather than the overall pack), this should safeguard a bit on the battery over discharge unless you keep pushing it too much. Charging the lowest cell happens all time by balancing so the moment you try it again you will find more juice.

Do you know whether the cells are balanced at any charge level or only when they have been fully charged? The latter is what has been the usual assumption in this forum so far, but I guess all depends on the sophistication of the BMS.

they balance all the time to what I understood. I noticed some years ago that if it alerts on low battery after riding, you turn it off for a minute and you're good to run again for a few hundreds of meters unlike the generic I initially started with that only works again because the battery gains some voltage and allows very little distance.

Having said so, it is NOT SUGGESTED to run after low battery, but probably the IPS BMS is one that safeguards most on battery low-level discharge damage on its cells. If for any reason you need to use that extra juice beyond the warning, it is suggested to use the wheel at lowest performance and charge it ASAP

PS @Mono, the warning for low battery has an aggressive tilt back to force you to stop. It's a bit hard to fight against it while becomes stronger the longer you use (besides that when you stop after a 'long' fight against the tilt back and change for a split second the wheel direction the tilt back aggressively reverses making it hard to manage).  The tilt back just gives you some time to find a safe spot to stop. This makes me believe that there's still plenty of juice in the batteries for such a tilt back and I never experienced any cut off yet.

This is for the IPS 191 (LHOTZ) mentioned above (probably the zero is too) but with the i5 I only reached the low battery once  and I was on the doorstep, so can't confirm this applies for the i5 and future generations of the IPS wheels

@Mono, my wheel is my source. I can't have a voltmeter on each balancing cable on the run (well realizing I could have used the app as it states separate voltages, but I always remember to see like 0.02+-v difference on each cell [charged or used cycle] and I use that as a reference for battery health), but if I turn off a wheel for a couple of minutes and run again after a low battery I get another 1/2 km on 260wh battery for sure of slow performance. From one time I just checked on map, I made a 1.5km route after a low battery warning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 11:05 PM, Gimlet said:

I think you'l find that only 2 of the 4 pins are connected so any euc charger of the correct voltage could be used if you cut the wire to the 4 pin plug and join it to a good charger, just use your meter to make sure you get the polarity the correct way around!

@Gimlet do you know why the sticker on the charger shows pin 1 and 4 as + and - but the multimeter shows the correct voltage on 2 and 4. Is this how IPS utilised the charger?

@IPS Malta I did check the new charger I received, but my EUC still doesn't charge or something else is wrong. I'm going to have to open it and check the connections, balancing cable, etc. 

Has anyone experienced this before? I remember that the "balance adjustment" tool on the app would have caused my EUC to beep constantly if I hadn't done it correctly. Could this be a simple balancing problem? Despite the app showing the battery as empty!

I'll try to share some photos of the app and the EUC for the expert eyes to comment on :-) hopefully this weekend.

Thanks all

On 1/16/2018 at 8:29 PM, IPS Malta said:

@Mono, my wheel is my source. I can't have a voltmeter on each balancing cable on the run (well realizing I could have used the app as it states separate voltages, but I always remember to see like 0.02+-v difference on each cell [charged or used cycle] and I use that as a reference for battery health), but if I turn off a wheel for a couple of minutes and run again after a low battery I get another 1/2 km on 260wh battery for sure of slow performance. From one time I just checked on map, I made a 1.5km route after a low battery warning.

I just noticed that if I hover the cursor over your profile picture of you riding the I5, a second picture shows up behind it , with the red shoe and the Lhotz.  I've never seen that before, how did you do that?  It's pretty neat.

Never mind, just checked my own and it does the same thing.  Guess I just never noticed it before.:P

Archived