Rubber thickness?

Scatcat

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

After a lot of procrastination I finally put the new studs in. It was a much more complicated affair than the screw-in studs, and the Mad Mikes is not ideal for the studs.

Let me illustrate the problem with a picture:

2018-01-21-16_41_26.thumb.jpg.743a1b984bf5ff9eb2729f017e5073e2.jpg

As you can see the studs each sit in a groove, which means the amount of rubber surrounding the stud is less than ideal. I think it should hold anyway, but I probably should put some glue around the studs.

If anyone has any idea on the best glue to use, feel free to give your advice :) 

The process of putting them in was a bit complicated, as the tyres didn't have pre-prepared pockets for the studs.

1. First I measured how deep they should go and put a drill in with a stopper to avoid puncturing the tyre.
  2. Then I cut and dremeld a nail of the right size and put it as a solder head in my soldering iron.
  3. For each stud I did a hole with the drill, and then a pocket with the soldering iron.
  4. Afterwards I immediately inserted and seated the stud, letting the rubber cool around it.

Remember! If you've used tyre slime with flammable gas in the tyre, make sure you have ventilated the butane/propane/whatever thoroughly. Or you may get tyre tracks with studs planted in your face when the gas overheats...

Below the tools I used:

2018-01-21-16_41_02.thumb.jpg.04c399900f28946002aaa9db0afda34e.jpg

I'll report further how well this holds up and how good the studs are in practice.

Those studs look better, not protruding as much as the first set.  How many did you use ?   I read on a bicycle site that a 26 inch tire can have over 200 studs.

Why didn't you put the studs in the solid rubber areas next to the grooves?

Sorry, I have no idea what type of glue would work to hold the studs in place.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, steve454 said:

Those studs look better, not protruding as much as the first set.  How many did you use ?   I read on a bicycle site that a 26 inch tire can have over 200 studs.

Why didn't you put the studs in the solid rubber areas next to the grooves?

Sorry, I have no idea what type of glue would work to hold the studs in place.

I used 48 studs. And the base of the studs were wide enough it was a judgement call to seat them off center with the risk of destroying the track bump or centrally with the groove problem.

the dimensions excepting the part sticking out is about 5mm deep, 5-6mm base and 3mm stem.

I’m leaning towards using "liquid sole", which is meant for repairing rubber. It has a 16h hardening time though, so I’ll test without it for the time being - I do have extra studs if needed.

It seems I was unduly worried. Six kilometers on asphalt, sand, ice, snow and cobblestones, and the studs sits just where I put them.

Do they work?

Yes, they do.

The best-grip studs were a bit more "aggressive" in their grip on hard ice, which I noted when turning a corner on icy cobble stones. But even though I had a twitch in the wheel, the grip was enough to avoid slipping. That situation was a bit extreme as the cobble stones leaned slightly in the opposite way to where I was turning and were covered by a layer of frost and ice.

Running on hard packed sand with ice and frost on top was without issues, and the profile of the studs were low enough to make the run on clean ground effortless.

Overall they do their work.

I have to go back a bit on my hallelujahs.

Putting a single row of studs on the centreline wasn't the most brilliant of ideas. It made a few studs come loose, and it created a knife-edge feeling when on hard naked ground. I'm considering alternatives for stud placements. Something that would put them close enough to the ground when running straight for them to have an effect, but with a lower profile.

Alternatively I'll have to look into how deep I can put them without risking the inner wall of the tyre...

This is a bit frustrating, it's like I'm almost there, but not quite.

15 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Once you get the spikes mounted correctly, it will be summer :D

Yup, but the tyre will be there for next winter... Right now it’s not even slippery, except for all the sand. But this time of year you never know what the weather will be next week.

Archived