MTen on order!

21 hours ago, Scully said:

There we have it, I've given in to temptation and ordered an Mten3! 

Hope it's as much fun as you guys have made out!

Congratulations. You will LOVE it :wub:

What made you finally pull the trigger?

Remember to have patience when you first hop on it. You will feel out-of-control and your initial reaction might be, "I made a mistake buying this". But your mind/body will start to adapt and eventually it will become like mind & body - your Mten3 will effortlessly follow your wheeling whims :D

Basically all of your facebook videos Marty! haha. (On SFWO facebook)

Well, I''ve been keeping an eye on my 'toy fund', My plan was to sell the MSuper, and put the money towards a Monster. 
I moved house, I'm about 8 miles from anything - so figured the extra battery would be helpful (thats what I've been telling myself - but I think i just wanted the biggest / best EUC money can buy).  The MSuper / Monster are heavy beasts to be lugging in the car.  I don't know if the £1400+ to upgrade from MSuper to Monster is money well spent.

Having come to terms that the MSuper is fine for longer rides, I figured  since I let my brothers steal the Ninebot - What i really need is a nippy little wheel for carting about and 'having fun'.

I was waiting for Ian to get the MTen's in, which I noticed yesterday he has some coming! I looked at Yorkshire Airwheels, they have some in already  - and in the sale, only £609 ($800, or $665+tax) ... At that price I snapped one up - I didn't want to risk the sale finishing.

Oh, there was one more reason....

My wife was out at the works Xmas party - I knew if I told her I'd bought another wheel when she was drunk I wouldn't get in trouble. 

When i saw the sale, and looked at my credit card - it was like all of the stars lined up! 

Are you going to do a pre-emptive battery mod when you get your Mten3?  I wonder if adding in a wired fuse would provide some added insurance if the nickel strip melts, the fuse would still be there, and if it blows (eg. stuck wheel in turnstile) at least the fuse would easily be replaced.  That might help save your control board.

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Are you going to do a pre-emptive battery mod when you get your Mten3?  I wonder if adding in a wired fuse would provide some added insurance if the nickel strip melts the fuse would still be there, and if it blows (eg. stuck wheel in turnstile) at least the fuse would easily be replaced.  That might help save your control board.

Let's not jinx his purchase before he even gets it ;)

I really do think that most people will be fine, particularly if they avoid turnstiles :D  I had about 150-miles of riding on the Mten3 (which is a lot of miles for that wheel) before I had my freak accident. And you saw what kind of heavy reversals that I was/am doing.

Preemptively modding that battery is a major operation not to be taken lightly. My two-cents worth...

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Basically all of your facebook videos Marty! haha. (On SFWO facebook)

Well, I''ve been keeping an eye on my 'toy fund', My plan was to sell the MSuper, and put the money towards a Monster. 
I moved house, I'm about 8 miles from anything - so figured the extra battery would be helpful (thats what I've been telling myself - but I think i just wanted the biggest / best EUC money can buy).  The MSuper / Monster are heavy beasts to be lugging in the car.  I don't know if the £1400+ to upgrade from MSuper to Monster is money well spent.

Having come to terms that the MSuper is fine for longer rides, I figured  since I let my brothers steal the Ninebot - What i really need is a nippy little wheel for carting about and 'having fun'.

I was waiting for Ian to get the MTen's in, which I noticed yesterday he has some coming! I looked at Yorkshire Airwheels, they have some in already  - and in the sale, only £609 ($800, or $665+tax) ... At that price I snapped one up - I didn't want to risk the sale finishing.

That's good to hear. My mission is to convince every EUC enthusiast to buy a Mten3. I'm glad it worked on you. It'll make your life so much more enjoyable :D

That's one hell of a good price that you paid for the wheel. Congrat's :cheers:

No jinxing intended.  :innocent1:  I'm all about preventative measures if they are possible.  When I first got my Ninebot and before even riding it I opened it up to do the battery cushion mod and sealed up some holes from water ingress.

After reading some of the French forum posts and seeing @Stanor's photos it sounds like this nickel strip heating / melting problem might not be as isolated to one person's specific riding style or turnstile accident.  I wonder if the current draw demanded by such a small wheel over challenging roads could be ultimately heating up that strip over time.  

The photos of the outer blue shrink wrap melting are difficult to ignore.  I wish instead of double stick taping the battery into the hard casing that they might have just applied the tape to the inner shell casing for shock protection making the box easier to open.

I guess if people are seeing how much fun you're having on the Mten3, they likely will want to try similar riding tricks and travels.  It didn't seem like you were doing anything terribly demanding of the wheel.  That turnstile incident was a freak accident, but I wonder if problems had started earlier on.  If you see the reports other people have reported it just seems to make sense that this part tends to heat up.  Unless they are abusing their wheels with prolonged aggressive pendulums and other steep current demanding riding, it might be best to periodically examine the area if possible.  Maybe cutting a small peeky hole in the casing over the nickel strip area could allow inspections without tearing the box apart?

How's your repaired Mten riding since the fix?

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

No jinxing intended.  :innocent1:  I'm all about preventative measures if they are possible.  When I first got my Ninebot and before even riding it I opened it up to do the battery cushion mod and sealed up some holes from water ingress.

After reading some of the French forum posts and seeing @Stanor's photos it sounds like this nickel strip heating / melting problem might not be as isolated to one person's specific riding style or turnstile accident.  I wonder if the current draw demanded by such a small wheel over challenging roads could be ultimately heating up that strip over time.  

The photos of the outer blue shrink wrap melting are difficult to ignore.  I wish instead of double stick taping the battery into the hard casing that they might have just applied the tape to the inner shell casing for shock protection making the box easier to open.

I guess if people are seeing how much fun you're having on the Mten3, they likely will want to try similar riding tricks and travels.  It didn't seem like you were doing anything terribly demanding of the wheel.  That turnstile incident was a freak accident, but I wonder if problems had started earlier on.  If you see the reports other people have reported it just seems to make sense that this part tends to heat up.  Unless they are abusing their wheels with prolonged aggressive pendulums and other steep current demanding riding, it might be best to periodically examine the area if possible.  Maybe cutting a small peeky hole in the casing over the nickel strip area could allow inspections without tearing the box apart?

How's your repaired Mten riding since the fix?

When you are playing with the Mten3, doing hard reversals, that's putting a big strain on the motor. Even on the Tesla, I get the '90-amp' surge alarm when doing a reversal. So that's what I mean when I say I've driven the Mten3 hard with no problem.

I'm hoping people don't start experiencing problems. Unfortunately I really do think modding the battery is realistic. If I get a new Mten3 I'm not sure I would do it. I tell you, getting the battery out the case is hell, and you have to almost strip the Mten3 down to nothing. And soldering is not for everyone. And then trying getting the modded battery back into the plastic case. HELL :furious:

Sadly, I've been doing too much Tesla riding (~160-miles), so the Mten3 has been a little lonely :(

1 hour ago, Scully said:

It's here.....

Quick ride around the car showroom (work), seems a violent little Fuc**r....  Very dinky and small.

Give it time

2 hours ago, Scully said:

It's here.....

Quick ride around the car showroom (work), seems a violent little Fuc**r....  Very dinky and small.

It happened to me the first time too.  After riding 5 times & adjusting the ride mode I started to like it.  I have very control of the wheel a lot more than my ks 16s.

3 minutes ago, NBC44 said:

It happened to me the first time too.  After riding 5 times & adjusting the ride mode I started to like it.  I have very control of the wheel a lot more than my ks 16s.

Hey, we are having a group riding this Saturday in Southern California. See this posting from last night: 

40 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yes, I work in a car garage so I dropped it in the body shop. 

It does look smart

That's no fair :D

On 12/3/2017 at 12:15 AM, Marty Backe said:

Let's not jinx his purchase before he even gets it ;)

I really do think that most people will be fine, particularly if they avoid turnstiles :D  I had about 150-miles of riding on the Mten3 (which is a lot of miles for that wheel) before I had my freak accident

Let's not forget that two french wheelers had the same problem : one strip melted already and the other one was very corroded with a hole in the plastic insulation. I still have to open mine...

Archived