Triple 8 wrist guards

My latest addition to my helmet, knee and elbow guards are these Triple 8 wrist guards.

Not the top of the line as posted elsewhere, but they feel good. I've been wearing them for a few weeks.

I have the medium, as I wanted a tight fit, and they are tight.  No room for even my thinnest gloves.

20171129_131725.jpg

I've been bigging up Triple 8 for so long people probably think I'm on the Triple 8 payroll.

They are EXCELLENT. I have the Hired Hands, which are the gloved version. Their sizes (for the Hired Hands at least) are indeed weird. I have small skinny hands and the medium is really tight. They're available on Amazon......so yeah go a size bigger than your usual when buying from this company.

750x750.fit.3btrpghire10000.jpg

I almost got those. I like the 3 straps on the ones I got, feels really secure. 

I think I could have gone with large, but still not sure my thin gloves would have made it in.

Knowing most falls have you land on your palms (from experience while learning, I scraped up one palm nicely), and having had a car pull out and front of me this month causing a bit of a strain on my wrist (taking more than a month to heal...still feeling it), I had to get these.

10 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Knowing most falls have you land on your palms

Absolutely. I'm constantly surprised by some people on the forum/youtube. When I see pics of them on their eucs they've taken the trouble to wear a helmet and elbow/knee pads but they've either got nothing on their wrists or they are using orthopaedic style wrist supports (i.e. the kind you get to support your arm/wrist AFTER an injury. In other words they're not wearing any shock/impact splint protection.

Unlike a bicycle your hand(s) are free and so it seems to me 9/10 times your wrists are ground-zero when/if an accident occurs. 

2 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Unlike a bicycle your hand(s) are free and so it seems to me 9/10 times your wrists are ground-zero when/if an accident occurs. 

Just twice I have face planted on my KS-14C, once trying to brake hard with a full battery and once clipping a bollard with the peddle. Both times were two of the very few occasions I was NOT wearing wrist protection. In both cases I sprained my wrists badly and found that, at 62, they take a damn long time to heal. Believe me, when you have sprained both wrists you REALLY find out who your friends are!

Knees, elbows and head did not suffer in either case although keys in my pocket did my thigh a fair bit of no good in the second incident.

I never bother with elbow protection anymore and whilst I usually wear a helmet I’m not convinced that it is really necessary at the cruising speed of my wheel (14MPH) but I ABSOLUTELY NEVER GO OUT WITHOUT WRISTGUARDS NOW.

I went back to using knee and shin protection after my wheel went down a drain hole hidden in grass, at the time I was very impressed I stayed on my feet and handled coming off the wheel perfectly. When I got home though I wondered why my foot felt so wet and found the wheel had hit my shin (I had stopped, but it had not) and caused a deep cut that was bleeding profusely. Two weeks later I was on antibiotics for an infection that was showing no signs of healing.

Ironically, considering I go on about it a fair bit, had I been using a leash I would probably have prevented the wheel hitting me - I always managed to lift it away from myself when I did use a leash, but it’s been so long since I lost control I’d stopped bothering to use one.

Just to add another data-point, I have Triple 8 Hired Hands and am not as enthusiastic about them.  I read the reviews and they said to go one size up, but in retrospect I should have stayed true-to-size.  Maybe that's why I'm not as impressed with them; they don't fit me that well.  I'm going to get the Flexmeters when I can find a pair reasonably priced.

What I like about the Hired Hands is that they have the palm-skid protection.  I completely agree with everyone else about the importance of wrist guards, generally. 

I started out with a pair of tripple 8's which worked good and protected me in many falls while I was learning.

I then upgraded to my Flexmeters once I bought my ACM and began traveling at faster speeds.

Most of my trail rides are NOT casual and I now always travel at 25-30mph.

Because of this I wear much protection Always like Religion, Helmet, wrist guards, gloves,

elbo & knee pads, shin guards, padded shorts and shirt, Hockey Shoulder pads, Rib protector.

The way I ride is safe, but IF I were to fall I could be hurt very badly so again I wear a Ton of protective gear as I take this hobbies risks very seriously.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Update: Since this fall, I noticed it had a very small tear in the velco that was holding the top plate on. It has slowly grown to tearing half way down the top leaving a large gap on the side.

It looks repairable, with some minor sewing effort, however I have decided to upgrade.

Good wrist braces, but you get what you pay for...may be only good for 1 or 2 falls.

6 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Update: Since this fall, I noticed it had a very small tear in the velco that was holding the top plate on. It has slowly grown to tearing half way down the top leaving a large gap on the side.

It looks repairable, with some minor sewing effort, however I have decided to upgrade.

Good wrist braces, but you get what you pay for...may be only good for 1 or 2 falls.

I can say my Demon Flexmeter double sided D30 is something I recommend.

They saved me on my flat landing on my backpack and buttom, as I managed to take some impact off with my arms. I never had any pains in my wrist. Lower back and butts cheeks a totally different matter.

https://demonsnow.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=337

53 minutes ago, Unventor said:

They saved me on my flat landing on my backpack and buttom, as I managed to take some impact off with my arms. I never had any pains in my wrist. Lower back and butts cheeks a totally different matter.

I have those, as well as others.  I like them, I think I saw them recommended by someone else here on the forums.  I've had good luck with less expensive ones also, but don't want to push my luck.  If I'm going to be on my slower vehicles I will still use some off the others at times.

15 hours ago, Unventor said:

Wait, you wear them on your bottom? :lol:

1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

I would have loved to...But no I don't. I used my arms to break the impact force. So my arms, elbows and due to this my wrist guards took some of the impact. As my elbow guards slided up my arms they didn't help as much as I had hoped. But the inside puck show clearly that my hands and wrist would feel VERY different had I not worn these.

I have 4 different pairs of wrist guards and the triple 8's are my favorite by far.   I like having a single strap and they breath well.

I've had a cutout with them on and they did great.  No wrist pain, very slight busing on the palm of my hand.   I usually only wear the right hand because I always roll that way.  From all my wrecks (slow motorcycle, bikes, snowboards, etc...) I always hit the right side of my body.   when I did my faceplant, I didn't even have a left guard on and there wasn't a single scratch on that hand... all the impact went on my right and into the wrist guard. 

Interesting observation. 

It was my right hand that took the brunt of the fall with my wrist guard. And, in my one and only motorcycle accident a long long time ago...it was the right side of most of my body that took the brunt of the damage). I suspect I am reacting similarly.

• 5 weeks later...

I’m wondering if good quality motorcycle gloves is a better choice for protecting your hands, since wrist guards don’t protect  your fingers ? I wore good quality wrist guards in my crash, but I still broke my little finger  ?

19 hours ago, Wense said:

I’m wondering if good quality motorcycle gloves is a better choice for protecting your hands, since wrist guards don’t protect  your fingers ? I wore good quality wrist guards in my crash, but I still broke my little finger  ?

Better to break a finger than your wrist. I speak from experience. If you break your scaphoid like I did, it means surgery and months with your arm in a cast. Now I wear the best wrist protection I've found, Demon Flexmeters. 

On 8/14/2018 at 11:16 AM, Unventor said:
On 8/14/2018 at 9:55 AM, Circuitmage said:

I would have loved to...But no I don't.

I wear G-Form Pro-X Padded Compression Shorts for bottom protection (alternating with EVS Technical UnderGear 'TUG Shorts').

41XJlFFEdUL.jpg71lBCXzdAxL._SL1302_.jpg

These have cocyxc (tailbone) protection, but I'm a big guy and I sometimes think I need more padding in that area. (Then again, I guess it's heavily padded already...)

IMG_0051-copy_cb7555b8c8422ca305d2d761d2

D30 Azzpadz would be ideal, but I also like the side padding I get with the protective shorts I already wear.

91n3CdSuasL._SL1500_.jpg614YkzFA8zL._SL1000_.jpg81hNImac86L._SL1500_.jpg

Perhaps something like these Triple 8 Bumsavers or Tortoise Pads (might require larger pants). Also, speaking of tortoise pads...

Spoiler

914G4X8aw2L._SL1500_.jpg

Archived