Anyone into target practice at the range?

I've only been a few times,  but recently I took a friend to an indoor firing range to shoot some rounds.  I had a chance to fire a Glock 9 mm, a Kimber 1911, and an AR-15.  I've shot the Glock and AR-15 previously, but the Kimber was a new experience.

Anyone else like indoor shooting ranges?  I know @Rehab1 must be a frequent visitor.  It's a lot of fun and quite the rush.  The target for the AR-15 was right at the end of the range so we couldn't even make out the target lines.  There was only a basic targeting scope with no magnifying optics so it was just point where you think the middle of the target is and fire.  That wasn't as much fun as there was no immediate feedback as to where the bullets were really going.

I did pretty good this time as my groupings were relatively close to centre mostly,  but my friend did a lot better even though he's only shot once before.  I was quite impressed!  He didn't do that great with the Glock, but he was spot on with the 1911 and AR-15.  I think with the lighter trigger pull on the 1911 that really helped.

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I've only been a few times,  but recently I took a friend to an indoor firing range to shoot some rounds.  I had a chance to fire a Glock 9 mm, a Kimber 1911, and an AR-15.  I've shot the Glock and AR-15 previously, but the Kimber was a new experience.

Anyone else like indoor shooting ranges?  I know @Rehab1 must be a frequent visitor.  It's a lot of fun and quite the rush.  The target for the AR-15 was right at the end of the range so we couldn't even make out the target lines.  There was only a basic targeting scope with no magnifying optics so it was just point where you think the middle of the target is and fire.  That wasn't as much fun as there was no immediate feedback as to where the bullets were really going.

I did pretty good this time as my groupings were relatively close to centre mostly,  but my friend did a lot better even though he's only shot once before.  I was quite impressed!  He didn't do that great with the Glock, but he was spot on with the 1911 and AR-15.  I think with the lighter trigger pull on the 1911 that really helped.

I've only been a couple of times, years ago, but yeah, it was fun.  It's so easy to set the target at any distance and bring it back to you with the motorized hanger.  On an outdoor range you have to wait until the rangemaster says to stop firing so everyone can walk to their target safely.  I am going to look for an indoor range, thanks for the suggestion.

A few times. I don't own guns personally but my friend has more than a couple of sweet pistols, SIG, 1911, a sketchy Turkish copy of a US gun (God knows what), a few others.

I love the way the 1911 doesn't blow air back in your face like the SIG and others.

However, I simply like archery far more. Also, you can actually talk to people since there's no need for hearing protection. Last weekend I did archery from my unicycle, and only suffered a slight degradation in accuracy. I was putting them in and around the plate at 20 yards whereas usually I can put all my arrows entirely within the plate at 35 yards if standing (compound bow with sights and finger release).

I used to have a small arsenal and shot targets from time to time. Never a hunter.  I welded up my own steel targets from 1/2" plate and rebar legs.  I love shooting steel because you don't have to squint between shots to see if you hit anything. Bang, clank=hit. bang, nothing=miss.

Buying cheap soda in bulk and then wedging the cans in a tree makes for some explosive shooting.

Bought a skeet thrower once and tried my hand at skeet, quite good fun.

Had A .45 Uzzi once (no girly 9mm for me :D) shoots well but giant hand grip was no fun.

Borrowed an old sketchy 10 gauge exposed hammer double barrel goose shot gun (Bigger than 12 gauge) pulled one trigger and both barrels went off (OUCH, like falling off an EUC only noisier)

I used to shoot drop down steels at the range.  5 plates in a row, all resettable with the pull of a rope/  .45 better than 9mm to drop the plate, more energy. 

Once shot one of my steels with a .308.  Almost went through !

Had a Calico m950 (9mm pistol with rotary magazine on top.  50 rnd capacity).   I once emptied a whole mag into an empty oil drum in about 10 seconds) fun.

Had a Taurus .454casull.  Made my .44 magnum feel like a pea shooter.  Would easily shoot through and through cars where other pistol calibers got stopped.

Once shot a hole in the floor of my Toyota Previa with a .45.  Punctured an A/C pipe, big cloud of gas, very embarrassing, in a built up area :facepalm:

Once shot my girlfriend in the head four times through a locked toilet door.  No.  Wait that was Oscar Pistorius, phew:wacko:

I'll shut up now, i'm probably scaring someone.  Don't get me started about the oil pipeline and the AK 47.

32 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Video please.  I've been thinking about a compound bow set up. What do you recommend?

I have a Diamond Infinite edge, 5-70 pounds adjustable. The first and last compound bow you'll ever need. I've set my to 25 pounds which slings arrows way harder than a 45 pound recurve bow. 70 pounds isn't fun for me, it feels way too dangerous due to the vast amounts of energy being stored and released.

I have an IQ bowsight. It's insanely accurate once you set it up. Forget peep sights, this thing is amazing although pricey. 100% of arrows in a plate at 35 yards, and "around the plate" at 80 yards. 

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Diamond Infinite edge

Thanks.  Very highly rated, and not too expensive.  5LB to 70LB.. That's quite a range.  I'm not man enough to pull 70 more than twice in a row.  Need to eat my wheaties.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

A few times. I don't own guns personally but my friend has more than a couple of sweet pistols, SIG, 1911, a sketchy Turkish copy of a US gun (God knows what), a few others.

I love the way the 1911 doesn't blow air back in your face like the SIG and others.

However, I simply like archery far more. Also, you can actually talk to people since there's no need for hearing protection. Last weekend I did archery from my unicycle, and only suffered a slight degradation in accuracy. I was putting them in and around the plate at 20 yards whereas usually I can put all my arrows entirely within the plate at 35 yards if standing (compound bow with sights and finger release).

Interesting. I am thinking about buying a compound bow. The problems is to find a shooting place. I can shoot in my backyard. But if I missed the target, the arrow will fly into a wall, destroying the arrow. Suggestion?

1 minute ago, EUCMania said:

Interesting. I am thinking about buying a compound bow. The problems is to find a shooting place. I can shoot in my backyard. But if I missed the target, the arrow will fly into a wall, destroying the arrow. Suggestion?

Put the wall at your back and shoot in the other direction?:rolleyes:

Don't miss?

Make a soft back stop that is bigger than the target.  Small children will work, or puppies, puppies are good too.

But seriously, I would have the same problem, and no children and puppies to use.  Possibly looking at an archery club.

I used to do some archery with compound bows as well.  Loads of fun and definitely nice and quiet!  Ever try those video walls where they have animals walking around and impact sensors to tell where you hit?  I think a white dot appears on the video screen to indicate the impact spot.  Those are fun.  I don't know how people shoot arrows without using those trigger pull release straps.  They make a load of difference.

b884d6b8fac6c250bcacc712a76c75c5--bow-re

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I used to do some archery with compound bows as well.  Loads of fun and definitely nice and quiet!  Ever try those video walls where they have animals walking around and impact sensors to tell where you hit?  I think a white dot appears on the video screen to indicate the impact spot.  Those are fun.  I don't know how people shoot arrows without using those trigger pull release straps.  They make a load of difference.

b884d6b8fac6c250bcacc712a76c75c5--bow-re

I don't actually use finger release; I use a thumb ring and Mongolian release while holding half a dozen arrows in my left hand, and shoot a new arrow every 2 - 3 seconds. The massive number of arrows one shoots in a short amount of time compared to "the plant feet and take careful aim" eventually gives you this feeling of you pointing your finger at a spot and suddenly the arrow is there. 

Try increasing your rate of fire beyond all reason, and see if that doesn't massively increase your accuracy. 

8 hours ago, Smoother said:

Say what?!! 

Is your name really Lars Anderson? :rolleyes:

I keep the arrows in my left hand not my right, and I use a compound bow. I still use a quiver but instead of looking down after each shot I just grab another arrow. The shooting process is no different from normal shooting except you pull arrows from your left hand. 

It is like this. 

Lars Anderson isn't doing a full draw. You gotta do a full draw.  

Ive shot at a few indoor ranges but my interest is outside/long range shooting. 

I was at Bisley a few years back shooting at 1100 yards, it was freezing cold, flurry of snow blowing in and only 2 of us at the firing point, myself and a guy from the england team. I have an assortment of rifles used mostly for pest control, favourite is a .20 cal which shoots a tiny 36grain bullet at 4500fps.

Yeah, I have mods on everything I shoot so i don't need to wear hearing protection.

Its excellent for foxes, i use night vision which makes depth perception and range judgement quite difficult so something which shoots laser flat is really useful. Its based on a 223 case necked down and with the shoulder angle blown out a bit. When I first got it I had to make all the cases from 223 brass but now you can get commercially made brass.

Archived