King Song Weather Rating and Replacement Parts Availability

Sigil

Hey Folks,

I have a couple questions:  

-Are King Song units waterproof enough for use in the rain?  I see that some of the gaps appear to be sealed with foam around the control board in disassembly photos----I was wondering if the same goes for the battery compartment.

-How easy is it to get replacement parts for these units?  Especially new batteries after the first one starts to degrade with use?

Thanks,

-Jacques

Linked below is a video of KS 14C riding through pedal-height pools of water, so I guess they've taken some water-proofing measures since the earlier reports of failure in rain.  Also they come with a rubber plug in the USB port now. At least mine did. I had it open the other day, but I forgot to look for signs of water-proofing.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1lE_OEuWwaBOTZQdFhsVFBydlU/view?usp=sharing

Water-resistance measures are pretty good. KS are changing their USB cap design to something more robust & the side panels will have a silicon protective film where the panel overlap.

The more batteries that are in parallel, the lower the rate of degradation, because the load is shared across the series. It's reasonable to expect between 3-5 years of continuous daily use with a 680Wh battery pack—of course this depends on many factors like the terrain, mileage, where it is stored, etc 

The only water proofing that ever really concerns me is the internal seams above the wheel where you will always get splash from the tyre on wet surfaces even if you never go out in the rain.

All the visible seams and holes are easily sealed if you make a habit of wet weather riding. A smear of clear silicon along the seams and screw heads will seal them quite effectively and still easily come apart if needed. Speaker holes can be covered with gaffer tape with you can now get in loads of colours toat your wheel and can be cut neatly to fit.

Of course in an ideal world all these things should have already been taken care of on the wheel as you buy it, but it's not difficult to sort it out yourself if you like riding in the rain. Personally I don't.  :)

Archived