Amazon: Segway S1 for $299, Mistake? Getting Out of Single-Wheel Business?

Jason McNeil

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was just wondering about what i’ll do with these $300 s1’s i got experimentally. how about a stand up bicycle hooking two of these together, front and back. still have to balance side to side but with redundacy would stop faceplants?

11 hours ago, novazeus said:

i was just wondering about what i’ll do with these $300 s1’s i got experimentally. how about a stand up bicycle hooking two of these together, front and back. still have to balance side to side but with redundacy would stop faceplants?

Do it.  I saw one that someone had made with just a single euc on the back with a platform and handlebars.  It looked good, but this was about a year ago and haven't seen it advertised for sale so guess it never went into production.  I have been hoping that someone would try this again, it seems like a good idea.

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

No! Do it sideways, like this (note the pivot)...

It would be awesome fun!

unicycle-ips-wa260-unicikl-girocikl.jpg

@novazeus Where did you purchase those blue ninebot one pads?

Did they come with some template for attaching them evenly (top ones I guess) or are they pretty much just peel the backing and carefully apply?

How do you like them so far?  Are they comfortable, good quality, adhesive seem strong or cheap?  If I can get my hands on an S1 at amazons $299 price I'm thinking I would probably like to purchase a pair of those too, they look nice.

5 hours ago, HeyzeusPhD said:

@novazeus Where did you purchase those blue ninebot one pads?

Did they come with some template for attaching them evenly (top ones I guess) or are they pretty much just peel the backing and carefully apply?

How do you like them so far?  Are they comfortable, good quality, adhesive seem strong or cheap?  If I can get my hands on an S1 at amazons $299 price I'm thinking I would probably like to purchase a pair of those too, they look nice.

ya they’re nice. glad u reminded me, i ask the vendor to send another set and send me a paypal request. u just kinda dry fit them. adhesive tape is pre attached to the pads. i’ll post some close ups so u’ll know how to eyeball them.

http://s.aliexpress.com/jiInmmeQ

@novazeus I noticed the top pads seem to cover the black LED ring a little bit.  Just curious but do the LEDs even go up that high to the covered part.  It doesn't look like it from the videos I've seen but would be worth knowing.

Also does the adhesive seem strong enough such that if ones legs were braced or squeezed against the pads, they would be able to do a little hop(like say hopping up a curb), without the pads coming loose.

My main concern would be the pad coming loose if the adhesive was poor quality since it's not built in like it is on the c+ and e+ unicycles.

Also are there any screw holes on the front of it, i'm curious if the ninebot accessory holder would fit it like if one wanted to attach a headlight. http://www.ninebotus.com/accessory-holder-for-ninebot-one/

10 hours ago, HeyzeusPhD said:

@novazeus I noticed the top pads seem to cover the black LED ring a little bit.  Just curious but do the LEDs even go up that high to the covered part.  It doesn't look like it from the videos I've seen but would be worth knowing.

Also does the adhesive seem strong enough such that if ones legs were braced or squeezed against the pads, they would be able to do a little hop(like say hopping up a curb), without the pads coming loose.

My main concern would be the pad coming loose if the adhesive was poor quality since it's not built in like it is on the c+ and e+ unicycles.

Also are there any screw holes on the front of it, i'm curious if the ninebot accessory holder would fit it like if one wanted to attach a headlight. http://www.ninebotus.com/accessory-holder-for-ninebot-one/

i’ll double check about the lights and take some pics but that accessory holder is for it’s big brother the 9bot1e+, i think. i’ll take pics of all of them shortly.

i don’t think they are coming off. using my pics and dry fitting ur pads u should be able to figure it out. only mounting holes are in the edge of the fenders for the 9bot1s1 and i beleive those r for their trolley handle and kickstand.

D3C1433E-7925-42E5-A953-76C2BCE74181.jpeg

2ABB5F1D-3129-48BA-A3F0-C4394017DE0E.jpeg

A202FE8E-F843-49AC-B767-5504DDE652D8.jpeg

51303033-54F5-4C81-BD5A-4FE5944CAB4F.jpeg

FBA6005A-9287-44F0-AA04-A2BD5F875F0A.jpeg

08F0E94D-3730-4177-B379-7E62FA898F12.jpeg

9BC5767A-5FB7-48BB-91C3-093D9C49785A.jpeg

3CE0AD9C-86E6-473A-8C66-2E8B8099AD3F.jpeg

FE40EAEF-6F74-402B-865D-9F5078E583EB.jpeg

4FCF2651-6E97-4D29-86D7-8FB165056C36.jpeg

D5E35EBB-C9BE-4F11-A072-FF59C5C778C1.jpeg

00AAD627-62C6-4C47-A8E2-9C1C06C044BB.jpeg

I've been on the sidelines for a while wanting to buy an electric unicycle.   Ended up snagging up this deal.  I have to say, while this S1 is extremely hard to learn on(at least it was for me),  now that I've had a bit of practice , I absolutely love it!     I'm already thinking about selling my motorcycle and buying a high end unicycle because its so fun!

@novazeus Thanks for all the pictures, that's a big help.

I am curious about one thing though.  So those top pads on the One S1, in one of your photos it looks like there is a small gap between the black plastic LED ring and the blue pad.

Accessing the battery could be challenging or a pain/ruin the pads if the adhesive stuck them to both the white plastic battery cover which is easily detachable and the black LED ring which is probably not as easily detachable.

So are those blue top pads sticking only to the white plastic, was there like a .5 - 1 inch area at the top where there is no adhesive so it doesn't stick to the black ring, or was the whole pad covered in adhesive.

Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first EUC so I'm being thorough, thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.

1 hour ago, Tygerwoody said:

I've been on the sidelines for a while wanting to buy an electric unicycle.   Ended up snagging up this deal.  I have to say, while this S1 is extremely hard to learn on(at least it was for me),  now that I've had a bit of practice , I absolutely love it!     I'm already thinking about selling my motorcycle and buying a high end unicycle because its so fun!

Welcome to the club :cheers:

Most of us here find it very addicting. Hopefully you'll be able to find enough postings here that will help you in deciding which wheel to buy next.

2 hours ago, Tygerwoody said:

I absolutely love it!     I'm already thinking about selling my motorcycle and buying a high end unicycle because its so fun!

Welcome! Now that would be dedication selling your motorcycle for another wheel. :crying: Coming from someone that enjoys riding both conveyances hopefully you can find a way to keep your motorcycle and still buy your perfect wheel.

I happen to know an EUC superstar (iinitials.MB) in California that is the Imelda Marcos of wheels that might be upgrading himself. You might ask  if he has something to sell. Unfortunately the guy is sometimes hard to find.:lol:

3 hours ago, Tygerwoody said:

Compared to other EUCs, I'd rate the S1 as extremely hard to learn on or ride on, as well. Very very hard to mount until you find out "the secret" whereby you place the wheel against the whole length of your shinbone. Unlike any other wheel, the complete lack of padding requires perfect balance so that, unusually, you aren't touching the EUC except on the foot pads.

And that's very hard to do! The upside is you have great control and balance when you switch wheels (although the converse isn't true; as I ride like shit after coming from the MVS3s).

The downside of this beauty (we all knew that) is that unlike other wheels where people just comment, I'd had people throw themselves in front of me. Hurl themselves in front of me like I'm a pre-Ono John Lennon.

Interestingly, the S1 elicits no special attention when carried as it simply looks like a slightly beat-up Roomba.

5 hours ago, Tygerwoody said:

I'm already thinking about selling my motorcycle and buying a high end unicycle because its so fun!

Hi!

Don't do this, unless you actually want no more motorcycle. A EUC is definitely not a motorcycle replacement. It's very comparable in use cases to a bicycle. It has neither the speed or range or stability and therefore the use cases of a motorcycle.

Just saying, to be sure you don't have any regrets. If you just want to replace one hobby (motorcycle) with a different one (EUC), then of course that doesn't apply.

4 hours ago, HeyzeusPhD said:

@novazeus Thanks for all the pictures, that's a big help.

I am curious about one thing though.  So those top pads on the One S1, in one of your photos it looks like there is a small gap between the black plastic LED ring and the blue pad.

Accessing the battery could be challenging or a pain/ruin the pads if the adhesive stuck them to both the white plastic battery cover which is easily detachable and the black LED ring which is probably not as easily detachable.

So are those blue top pads sticking only to the white plastic, was there like a .5 - 1 inch area at the top where there is no adhesive so it doesn't stick to the black ring, or was the whole pad covered in adhesive.

Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first EUC so I'm being thorough, thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.

the adhesisive tape is only on the flat part of the side pads, so yes the top of it floats and isn’t stuck to the black. notice in the last pic where my index finger is. it nicely matches the camfer on the wheel. i think the pads make the wheel easier to ride. i think u will like them. i’ve got another set coming for my othe s1 and i’ll probably order a set for the batman s2 so it doesn’t feel left out.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Compared to other EUCs, I'd rate the S1 as extremely hard to learn on or ride on, as well. Very very hard to mount until you find out "the secret" whereby you place the wheel against the whole length of your shinbone. Unlike any other wheel, the complete lack of padding requires perfect balance so that, unusually, you aren't touching the EUC except on the foot pads.

And that's very hard to do! The upside is you have great control and balance when you switch wheels (although the converse isn't true; as I ride like shit after coming from the MVS3s).

The downside of this beauty (we all knew that) is that unlike other wheels where people just comment, I'd had people throw themselves in front of me. Hurl themselves in front of me like I'm a pre-Ono John Lennon.

Interestingly, the S1 elicits no special attention when carried as it simply looks like a slightly beat-up Roomba.

so far for me, the s2 is my favorite. tmrw might be different. the side pads help a lot. hopefully i’ll play with all four tmrw. might even mount the ks 18s again but compared to the little wheels, it feels like my harley i’m balancing.

Archived