KingSong pedals easy solution

Frankman

No doubt that EUC's  pedals must be opened using feet. As many of us know, KingSong pedals are quite hard to open because there is a stiff spring inside them that forces us to lean down and use the hands. I uploaded a couple of images that clearly explain how to reduce the spring's stiffness so that it will be possible to use feet to get pedals opened.

1) disassemble the pedal using a 5mm. allen wrench. You have to completely unscrew the two grub screws, on each side.

2) push out the central axis using the allen wrench

3) pull out the pedal

4) now hit the spring with a piece of wood and a hammer as you can see in the second  picture.

Some hints:   do not give  huge strokes initially  ,  make a progressive work, otherwise you risk to flatten the spring  . The spring is quite ductile so that you can gradually reduce its stiffness. Every few strokes,  reassemble the pedal with the axis only and check the strenght. Always apply some grease on the spring when checking.

When you have done,  reassembly the pedal and make sure both  grub screws  are equally screwed in and tightened.

IMG_20171119_090329.thumb.jpg.e47e9a903bf43960a6b2488a72cdc7a8.jpg.106593779a86f933d503ee9403ad5fc4.jpg

IMG_20171119_090736.thumb.jpg.a34ec250d020bce59a9d5e635c8354c2.jpg.6e7b0212a07cafc84ed318d40fa8e528.jpg

I did something like this a few weeks ago.

A few additional suggestions:

Grease the rod when you put it back in.  its keeps corrosion down and also smooths the pedal action. Grease the screws too, to prevent rust and seizing.

When reinstalling the grub screws, try and get the same amount of turns on each one.  Its possible to screw one in quite a long way, then the other one, will be barely holding on with a thread or two.

After its all back together, put several layers of tape over the holes where the grub screws go.  This will keep water, dust, and other crap out of the threads.  Which will make it easier and cleaner, the next time you have to void your warrantee. :(

@Frankman I noticed in your photos that you still have the shipping "bumber" pads on your pedals.  Must have been new.  Anyway, If you've still got them, stick them to your pedal arms so that the act as a cushion when your pedal fold down.  Poor mans suspension.  They hold up quite well down there.

@Smoother OK, thank you so much for your suggestion. I'll do that.  Yes the wheel is new. I bought it from KingSong Italy few days ago. It is part of a batch of new KS16S that they sell without battery packs at a very low price. So I installed the battery packs (840w) of my old KS16B on this new KS16S. And I'm very happy about this exchange.

2 hours ago, Frankman said:

@Smoother OK, thank you so much for your suggestion. I'll do that.  Yes the wheel is new. I bought it from KingSong Italy few days ago. It is part of a batch of new KS16S that they sell without battery packs at a very low price. So I installed the battery packs (840w) of my old KS16B on this new KS16S. And I'm very happy about this exchange.

That's an interesting idea.  How cheap was it ? (if you don't mind me asking). 

What does that do for your warrantee ?(seeing as you have opened it)

What will you do with your 16b?  Its too big for a paper weight.

I paied 750 Euros and the warranty was two years for the motor and the mother board. They gave me all the connectors and the instructions to make the exchange, because the  KK16S battery pack has a 3 pole connector (MT60) instead of the classic  XT60 connector.

At the moment the old KS16B is without its batteries and I have not yet decided what to do. Perhaps I'll buy new batteries with a BMS on Aliexpress, to make it working again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 12:15 PM, Frankman said:

I paied 750 Euros and the warranty was two years for the motor and the mother board. They gave me all the connectors and the instructions to make the exchange, because the  KK16S battery pack has a 3 pole connector (MT60) instead of the classic  XT60 connector.

At the moment the old KS16B is without its batteries and I have not yet decided what to do. Perhaps I'll buy new batteries with a BMS on Aliexpress, to make it working again.

I assume this means that the KS16S works with battery packs that do not have actual connection to the 3rd pin? Or was something else needed?

9 hours ago, esaj said:

I assume this means that the KS16S works with battery packs that do not have actual connection to the 3rd pin? Or was something else needed?

The KS16S battery connector has three thick wires plus a thin red one. They  (KingSong Italy)  provided  all the wires and the connectors with  instructions. These are  the connections:

IMG-20171012-WA0033.jpg.2e430feeabe5babe2c525fa801b2eb26.jpg

IMG-20171019-WA0014.jpg.5dab5bb4099c508f1856fd2af8e2bb11.jpg

You  have to desolder the old wires and to solder the new ones only. The above images are for demonstration. You can solder the new wires without completely open the wrapping heat shrink blue envelope. Only raise a little side part and make your job.

On 11/22/2017 at 1:17 PM, Frankman said:

No doubt that EUC's  pedals must be opened using feet.

Although I can see how cool it is to put up and down ones EUC pedals with your feet, I have no problem simply lowering and raising them by hand.

I also like that they stay in place when pushed up against the case.

ukj

Archived